Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accept more work with very small pay rise?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Dear all,

I’m wondering if you can help me. A bit of background first.

I started my current job as a part-time editorial assistant after completing my masters degree, for which I received a distinction. The pay wasn’t great, but I really wanted the job. I’ve worked there for two years now. Six months into the job, I asked if there was any possibility of going full-time. I was told no, that for the moment there weren’t any openings. I was working there three days a week and found myself another position as assistant editor (one step up!) with another company for the other two days a week.

Six months ago, in the original job, it was agreed between myself and the editor that I would receive a promotion to assistant editor and a salary increase to reflect that. This was decided upon because I was already doing the job of an assistant editor, not that of an editorial assistant. My editor’s boss also agreed, but it didn’t go any further than that. The ‘big boss’ was never told… so I never officially received the promotion and didn’t get a pay rise. I did, however, change my title in the magazine.

A month ago, another company bought half of the company I work for, meaning that there were several job opportunities opening as staff were sold off with the company. I suggested to my boss that I take on an additional role of production editor in order to bring my hours up to full-time and because I had the specific skill set required to take on the role.

The big boss eventually asked me into his office yesterday and said he’d be happy to give me the full-time role as production editor in addition to assistant editor. If I did well, he would raise my salary after three months by £1,000/year. That, for me, is a less than 5% increase, but my workload will increase 50%.

If I take this job, I will have to give up working with the other publication and will actually have to accept a pay CUT, even with the pay ‘rise’, as the amount of money being offered doesn’t equate to the amount I’m currently earning with my two part-time jobs.

My problem with the offer stems from the fact that I have three years’ experience, skills and qualifications and yet my boss will be getting an assistant editor and a production editor for the price of an entry-level editorial assistant. The question of the original promotion and salary increase wasn’t even discussed – any pay rise I receive is contingent on me once again proving myself in this new role. I will also be receiving the same amount of pay as the clerical staff in the office, which doesn’t seem to tally with my qualifications, skills and experience. The amount agreed on for my original role of editorial assistant was already below the national average.

Finally, the person who was previously the production editor worked three days a week on the publication that I’ll be taking over, yet I’m expected to do it in one day a week. So it’s fair to say the amount of work I’ll be doing will vastly increase! I don’t mind this, but I would have liked to have been sensibly remunerated for it.

I feel very unappreciated. My gut instinct tells me to turn down the offer and stick with what I’ve got, then look for a job elsewhere. In addition to the financial side of things, I’m concerned that taking on the role of production editor will distract me from what I really love/want to do – editing, writing. I’m worried that I’ll be pigeonholed in this role. Also, if an editorship ever came up in the office, I probably wouldn’t even be considered as it’d be too much to lose both an assistant editor and a production editor at the same time. This has happened before, so it’s not just surmise…!

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, they would be most welcome. I’m feeling very torn and, while I want to progress my career and relish promotions, I don’t want to accept them to my detriment.

With many thanks,

Capybara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It seems you've painted yourself into the corner of doing the two jobs. Naturally, the company has been getting a good deal from you thus far and would like to continue that arrangement by not offering a fair salary increase.

You were working 3 days a week for, let's say 21k, surely 5 days is worth 35k? I know it's not in the real world but I'm also factoring in additional work load. I would tell them that the 1k salary increase is nowhere near a reflection of a fair payment for the work. Of course, I have no idea how much work is available in your sector or how easy it would be for you to get an alternative job and these factors may colour your approach.

Advertisement