Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden power - is solar an option?

• 22-01-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

In the process of redesigning the garden and have come up with a few requirements for electricity - a light in the shed for when I need to find something, a small water feature (on or beside the new patio) & some class of light for the patio area (so we can see each other/our beer when sitting out on the many tropical nights we get).

The options are to get power out from the house - would require an electrician to sort the distribution board/connection from house panel etc. (don't think you're allowed diy electrics anymore?) with a bit of work for me chasing the footpath, digging trenches, etc. - or potentially a solar solution.

The new shed location will mean that the roof will essentially be south facing. My thoughts were possibly a panel on this roof charging a battery in the shed with the various lights and pump working off this.

Bear in mind the lights would only be on for a few hours occasionally and the pump probably a little more frequently.

Is this a mad notion or is this likely to cost way more than getting the power out from the house?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

if you have an outside light over your back door it is possible to take power from here without too much hassel, but it will only be suitable for garden lights, ie not for outdoor socket.

solar panels- think they only heat water:confused::confused:, but may be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Lidl and aldi have a range of solar lights, for shed and also spot lights. Have read mixed things but on the whole I think people were positive about them. You'd have to keep your eye out for them though, not sure when they get them in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

solar does not really,you would dig about 3 feet deep trench,then you would trench under the path,put in plastic pipe,and water proof wires,you can get solar water pumps if your garden is south facing

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

What I'm talking about though is using a single solar panel to charge a battery and then using the battery to run the lights/pump.

I know that shed lights and pumps are available that are solar but this would mean multiple panels which won't look good plus the water feature is unlikely to work at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have a solar light in our 'recycling' shed. Basically it is an approx 8" square solar panel that is mounted outside (south facing), a cable running inside to a 24 (iirc) led light with a pull chord switch.

It's been in situ a few years now and does the job grand. Just enough light to find your way around, but certainly not enough to do any work in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

The shed is storage only so I only need enough light so I can find stuff.

Been thinking about this some more...a panel hooked up, via a controller, to a car battery which, in turn, is connected to some 12v lights and a pump should be doable reasonably cheaply seeing as there's not a massive demand for power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭OldRio

redser7 wrote: »
    Lidl and aldi have a range of solar lights, for shed and also spot lights. Have read mixed things but on the whole I think people were positive about them. You'd have to keep your eye out for them though, not sure when they get them in.

Use a few of these lights on the stables. Very very good.

Advertisement