Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owed money by paper - who do I go to?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 6:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭

Just enquiring if anybody had a similar situation. When I was self-employed I took out a few newspaper ads and a editorial article with a big local newspaper late last year. To cut a long story short, they were very quick in taking the payment but were not quick in providing either the invoice or the service.

Basically they did not carry out what was in the invoice and provide the number of ads agreed or print the editorial provided (half page). I have tried several times to enquire when all my ads and editorial will be put into the paper but despite initial promises they have refused to return any calls or emails that I have left over the last month.

I am owed money in the process but since my complaint mail has not been answered I want to take this further. I have gone to the Press Complaints Commission and the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland but both have said they don't deal with it. My question then is who does or do I need to take the legal route myself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

its a totally private business matter - nothing at all to do with any regulatory body.

Press complaints is to do with issues about stuff written in the press and Advertising standards is to do with what is in the actual adverts themselves.

A business dispute between 2 businesses that can't be sorted out between yourselves would require a solicitor, and they cost money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Depending on how much money is involved, you might consider the Small Claims Court.
    Otherwise, seek the advice of a solicitor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Cheers. Appreciate the responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Depending on how much money is involved, you might consider the Small Claims Court.
    Otherwise, seek the advice of a solicitor.

small claims only applies to consumer purchases not B to B AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

I never knew how much newspapers run on skinflint budgets (especially locals) until I did some work for them years ago....I had to chase them up for payment each time.

Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

I hear you bigtime!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Start with the simplest approach.

Send a registered letter to the editor outlining that you intend to seek legal advice if the matter isn't resolved with in 10 working days.

Often enough to let them know you're not walking away.

If you get no where, then seek legal advice.

It can often be a case of 'he who shouts loudest' gets paid first.

Firm yet polite and business-like is the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

You can start the process of taking someone to court for small claims to the District Court I think. If you start on the paperwork yourself the paper may give up soon enough when they see that you are serious about collecting your money. Also you won't have to pay a solicitor.

I worked with a local paper years ago on Advertising sales and the F*****s stiffed me for a couple of hundred pounds of commission. They were a right shower of gangsters - the law prevents me from naming them here.

I am only sorry I didn't have the guts to take them to court. I was relying on them for a reference in case a future employer rang them on foot of interviews I was doing at the time.

Advertisement