Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais

Options
  • 22-01-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

We moved from Bord Gais in October, they have a system of taking enough money in advance, what they think will cover what we will use. We only discovered this after signing up to them the previous year, and then getting the first statement. I phoned them immediately and asked them to reduce the amount as the whole idea of switching was to save money and it was costing us a lot more every month. When we changed suppliers we had a substantial amount in credit. Needless to say they are not as forthcoming in paying back what they owe as they insisted we are, and 3 months later, numerous emails and phone calls, we are still no closer in getting our money back. Is there anyone I can contact, an ombudsman or something to sort this out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

There's cer.ie but you need to have exhausted the complaints process with your supplier.

Can't really understand the nature of your complaint though. From experience BGE usually refund any money owed pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Were you on one of those equaliser type things?

Did you take and submit a trading the day you switched.

Some people switched to airtricity etc only to find they were never switched over at all and still getting billed by the original supplier.

Do you have a new bill from the new supplier, does the read match the last read from bord Gais?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

We were on a prepaid equalizer account, but were shocked when we got the first statement, and instead of the €80 odd that we were averaging over the year, they were taking almost €110 a month. They eventually did reduce this amount after about 4 months, but our credit still kept on increasing. And the account was closed down properly. The only issue is that Bord Gais seem to be incapable or unwilling to reimburse us with OUR money. It's more than 3 months now, I doubt whether they would accept that from their clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I paid them the ESB money a few years ago and had a cheque in the post to me within maybe 4 days of me calling them, so maybe the delay is something to do with the equaliser, is there a minimum contract for the equaliser thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

kig wrote: »
    We were on a prepaid equalizer account, but were shocked when we got the first statement, and instead of the €80 odd that we were averaging over the year, they were taking almost €110 a month. They eventually did reduce this amount after about 4 months, but our credit still kept on increasing. And the account was closed down properly. The only issue is that Bord Gais seem to be incapable or unwilling to reimburse us with OUR money. It's more than 3 months now, I doubt whether they would accept that from their clients.

You have closed your gas/electricity account? So you have either moved property or supplier? If so there should be no problem getting a refund. Only difficulty may be if you have moved supplier and they have not provided a meter read to BG yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

Bord Gais have sorted out the outstanding money to me.

Advertisement