Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pleasure / Endurance Riding

Options
  • 22-01-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm thinking about trying pleasure riding this summer, but I have no idea where to start. I'm located in Dublin so any rides would have to be near enough to there.

How can I find information on upcoming pleasure rides, and would I have to do anything in advance (membership, etc.)
    Alternately, if anyone knows of any pleasure rides taking place between 1st July and 31st August near Dublin, could they let me know? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Paso Fino wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm thinking about trying pleasure riding this summer, but I have no idea where to start. I'm located in Dublin so any rides would have to be near enough to there.

How can I find information on upcoming pleasure rides, and would I have to do anything in advance (membership, etc.)
    Alternately, if anyone knows of any pleasure rides taking place between 1st July and 31st August near Dublin, could they let me know? :)

Have you your own horse ?

U can do those ildra rides n don't have to be a member
    The donard equestrian trails are great too think they are still last Sunday of the month
    Try endurance lenister too
    Plenty going on in Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

monflat wrote: »
    Have you your own horse ?

U can do those ildra rides n don't have to be a member
    The donard equestrian trails are great too think they are still last Sunday of the month
    Try endurance lenister too
    Plenty going on in Wicklow

I will be leasing for the summer, hence the dates I gave :)

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look into all of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I will be leasing for the summer, hence the dates I gave :)

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look into all of that

Ye thats great u should find a few around you then either u can do the donard trail anytime pay your money get your maps and away you go.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Hi, there is the Munny Trail in Wicklow to go on. I haven't been yet but it looks great. You can camp there as well in the Summer. Here is the website www.themunnytrail.com

If you do give it a try I would love to here how it went!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭treccie

There are some good trec events coming up during that time. Membership is not necessary as there;s the option of temporary registration. Details will come up on www.trecireland.com

• Advertisement

mystika121 wrote: »
    Hi, there is the Munny Trail in Wicklow to go on. I haven't been yet but it looks great. You can camp there as well in the Summer. Here is the website www.themunnytrail.com

If you do give it a try I would love to here how it went!

Funnily enough, a friend mentioned something similar to this but couldn't remember the name, but this sounds exactly like they were describing! I love the look of it, I'll definately try to get down there this summer :)
    treccie wrote: »
    There are some good trec events coming up during that time. Membership is not necessary as there;s the option of temporary registration. Details will come up on www.trecireland.com

Thanks for the info, I love the fact that they have put up videos detailing what they do, I think the different phases are brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ghostrider11

Been on the munny trail several times and its always fun. There are two trails , all the jumps are optional but none are more than 90cm .
    It only starts from March ( usually paddys day) . As long as there are at least two of you you can go out by yourselves but if you on your own look out for the ride outs that are organised ( normally sundays)
    Donard is the last and middle sunday of each month not that much jumping but its a good onging hack out , tea and sambos provided after

• Registered Users Posts: 5 _itsB_

Another rec for Trec, I havent been to one myself but a few of our RC members have went and loved it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Munny Trail is great fun and now you can "glamp" there too. The Donard ride can be done any day, you pay and can go as long or short as you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Thanks for the info, I love the fact that they have put up videos detailing what they do, I think the different phases are brilliant :D

Check out this one :D its a walkthrough of the POR phase (the orienteering)

Trec is brilliant :)

• Advertisement

I'm seriously looking forward to summer now, definately going to get out and do some of these, is it cheating if you use a Sat-Nav? :pac: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

I'm seriously looking forward to summer now, definately going to get out and do some of these, is it cheating if you use a Sat-Nav? :pac: :p

Good old-fashioned maps and compasses only. ;) It's great fun, I've ridden in some amazing places that I wouldn't have otherwise, and met lots of people through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Rips wrote: »
    Check out this one :D its a walkthrough of the POR phase (the orienteering)

Trec is brilliant :)

Do you have to own your own horse or is it possible to hire horses at events?

JillyQ wrote: »
    Do you have to own your own horse or is it possible to hire horses at events?

You can hire at most events :)

It is still a relatively new sport, so there are lots of young clubs and small local events, which would be held at one off venues, or out of a field or pub meets ;) and may not have hire horses...

But, for example - the clips in that video came from 3 events, one in Donegal, one in Tipperary and one in Offaly, and I know there were hire horses at 2 of them.

Not sure about Donegal, I am sure it could have been arranged. Treccie might be able to say whether or not competitors hired.

Worth mentioning also, that plenty of people on hirelings win and place, including riders from overseas at last years Open and National championships.

Also, if you are new to Trec, at level one you can ride as a pair, and the organisers will help to match you up with someone :)

Its a great community, so if you get involved, get on the facebook groups or the mailing list, someone will help you out.

You can also choose to compete at any level, or opt in or out of any phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭treccie

Two hirelings competed at that Donegal event, others were available. I've already booked a hireling for one of the 2014 events as it's too far to travel my old guy on the box.

I had no idea that you could hire horses, how would I go about this?

I had no idea that you could hire horses, how would I go about this?

If you are near Dublin, then Leinster Trec is probably your area.
    T here will be a good bit of overlap from Midlands Trec aswell though, they both have facebook pages where details of upcoming events will be announced.

If endurance style - treccing and hacking are your interest, then these are the upcoming Leinster Trec events of that type... details will be announced on the facebook page/website closer to the time.

POR (Orienteering) League
    23rd March - Co. Kildare
    11th May - Co. Meath
    13th July - Co. Wicklow
    21st September - Co. Kildare
    5th October - Co. Kildare

Just contact the organisers regarding your choice of event, and they will send you an entry from and either organise the hireling for you, or put you in touch with the venue, if the venue are hiring direct.

http://www.leinstertrec.ie/

There is a 'contact us' section on the website for you to be added to the mailing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

Rips wrote: »
    If you are near Dublin, then Leinster Trec is probably your area.
    T here will be a good bit of overlap from Midlands Trec aswell though, they both have facebook pages where details of upcoming events will be announced.

If endurance style - treccing and hacking are your interest, then these are the upcoming Leinster Trec events of that type... details will be announced on the facebook page/website closer to the time.

POR (Orienteering) League
    23rd March - Co. Kildare
    11th May - Co. Meath
    13th July - Co. Wicklow
    21st September - Co. Kildare
    5th October - Co. Kildare

Just contact the organisers regarding your choice of event, and they will send you an entry from and either organise the hireling for you, or put you in touch with the venue, if the venue are hiring direct.

http://www.leinstertrec.ie/

There is a 'contact us' section on the website for you to be added to the mailing list.

Some of those POR events will hopefully have horses available to hire, when the event information goes out there will be contact details provided. Usually riders need to ring to sort out the hire themselves.

The best way to keep up to date with everything is to get added to the mailing list, and connect on facebook.

Advertisement