Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I

• 22-01-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

H

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Kat, lucky you getting a retired greyhound - such lovely dogs.
    If its retired, what age is it?

What time do you go to work and come home? My dogs get walked during the day - v.early in the morning, and again a short outing after lunch. Come the evening they SLEEP. They are conked.

I guess it depends on what time you go to work - for toilet purposes - but its an adult dog, so will be able to stay dry presumably overnight. I would imagine that as long as its warm, has access to water, has a nice bed, maybe leave the radio on for company, it will soon settle in to your routine. Lucky dog, will have you for company all day long!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Katzcozmos

I'm not sure how old or even if male or female yet!! I'm heading out to a grey hound sanctuary on Monday. I have been in contact with the lady who runs it for awhile now. She has 5 dogs that would suit my lifestyle so I'll have to wait and see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Katzcozmos

Thank you for the info thought. 4pm I work. My partner could take him/her out at 5.30. Do you think that would be enough? There would be a long walk earlier in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Katzcozmos wrote: »
    Thank you for the info thought. 4pm I work. My partner could take him/her out at 5.30. Do you think that would be enough? There would be a long walk earlier in the day.

From what I remember... Greyhounds (despite the fact we associate then with racing) need a lot less exercise than we think. I'd imagine a 5.30 walk would be fine as the last exercise of the day.

We have a Siberian Husky and he's often walked at 5.30 (tomorrow my OH will have him out from 5-6.30. I'll be at soccer from 7.30 till 9.30 at which point I'll let him into the house for the night with me... Where he just throws himself down for the night. Off out to pee at 11.30 and into bed (crated indoors) till 7am. So that's 6.30pm walk over... No more exercise for 13 hours!

He's totally fine with that. And he's a high energy breed. The attention he gets by being part of the family unit far outweighs any exercise! Sometimes (like last Saturday) we didn't bother with a second (long) walk. A play, training/tricks and some company did him just fine.

Best of luck and get some pics up in the associated thread!

Advertisement