Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is a road . . not a road?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

Why, when its in Longford of course.

3103982035.jpg

by Patrick Conboy
    patrick.conboy@longford-leader.ie
    Questions have emerged about the public access to a route linking the Strokestown Road and Athlone Road at Pulse Logistics in Longford town, writes Patrick Conboy.

The situation came to light last month when local woman Fiona Quinn burst a tyre on her car when she struck a pothole on the road.

“I had to pay €90 for a new tyre and €40 to have it aligned,” Ms Quinn told the Leader.

When she spoke to a representative of Longford County Council about the matter, she was told that the road was not the local authority’s responsibility as it had not been taken in charge.

Ms Quinn then contacted Michael Woodlock, the developer responsible for constructing the road.

“He told me I should not have been on the road as it’s private property,” Ms Quinn said.

Speaking to the Longford Leader this week, Mr Woodlock, who is a former director of Flancare (Clonmel) Distribution Ltd, confirmed that a section of the road extending from the the Athlone Road entrance to the first intermediate roundabout was still under his ownership.

Asked if the road is private property, Mr Woodlock said, “that’s technically correct. It’s an access road only.”

Mr Woodlock added that he expects the road to become a through route once it is handed over to the council, which he expects to happen soon. “The process should be concluded by late spring,” he asserted.

Mr Woodlock also said he would contact Ms Quinn regarding the damage to her car.

Frank Sheridan, Director of Services for Longford Co Council, added: “We are currently examining the road, its construction and the planning requirements inherent in its construction.

I know people who have also damaged their car on this excuse for a road. If someone gets killed there, it would be closed immediately & then their'd be all the usual bollox about who was & wasn't responsible for the 'roads' upkeep.
    + If the County Council say its not technically their responsibility, then why do they have directional road signs through it from both approaches?
    I think it should be closed to public access until all this shlt is sorted out & that this section in question is upgraded & made truly trafficworthy.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

No one is ever responsible for anything in Longford co co!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

That road isnt much worse than parts of the road between Kiernans Forge in Killoe to Rhyne Quarry.

Advertisement