Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 days smoke free

Options
  • 22-01-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

Today I'm 7 days smoke free which might not sound like a whole lot but its a huge achievement for me!

Am really determined to stay off them this time so thought it would help to share my thoughts here.

I've downloaded the Quitnow app which I check constantly. The thoughts of having to reset it is keeping me off even having one.

Few benefits I've noticed are that my skin is better and I'm starting to feel like I've more energy. Don't really miss or want to smoke. But I'm not gonna get complacent cos I could easily get an overwhelming urge to smoke again! Drink will be the real test!

Anyone got any experiences or tips to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Best of luck mate :) hope you stick with it
    I am starting tonight, having my last in a few minutes :P or at least what I hope is my last
    going to download that app too thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 copea2

Well Done OP - hopefully you should be over the worst of it by now.

I just reached 3 months smoke free and it does get easier. I started Jogging which I feel great after - I think excersize is a really good distraction.

2Mad2BeMad - Hope your not finding today too tough. Stick with it.

Think the key thing to remember is that you cant even have 1 - its a slippery slope that will end up with being back on them.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Best of luck mate :) hope you stick with it
    I am starting tonight, having my last in a few minutes :P or at least what I hope is my last
    going to download that app too thanks :)

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on! The app is brilliant!

copea2 wrote: »
    Well Done OP - hopefully you should be over the worst of it by now.

I just reached 3 months smoke free and it does get easier. I started Jogging which I feel great after - I think excersize is a really good distraction.

2Mad2BeMad - Hope your not finding today too tough. Stick with it.

Think the key thing to remember is that you cant even have 1 - its a slippery slope that will end up with being back on them.

Best of luck

Well done on 3 months off them, that's great!

Good tip on the exercising too, I'll do something like that, not just to distract myself, but cos of all the food I've eaten! I'm so hungry since quitting!

Ten days today! Feels like a milestone as its now in double figures!

Hope everyone is getting on well with the quitting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Pauls212

Well done im on day 1 just been out for a 20min walk i didnt think it was going to be this hard but noting worth while doing is

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

2 years plus off them. Best decision ever. Down 2 stone and healthy. I could say a bit richer but i still spend the money somewhere. I read Alan carr book and was brain washed by the book. Remember that the longing for cigarette will only last a minute r 2 so go for walk r do something enjoyable for that time and it will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rabid50

This is the second time I have quit. First time was for 3 months after Zyban. It did not work again. Patches do not work, nor spray. Nicabate Minis out of the supermarket do. I am now on Day 8. I still want to light up but I was on 1mg cigarettes and the Mini is 4mg, so using my logic I should be okay.

Keep it up. You will get a cough for clearing your lungs, which will go in about a week. Your sense of taste will improve.

14 days today!

Was feeling much better then out of nowhere I got the worst cold I've ever had. I'm not sure if its related to quitting but it's enough to terrify me into not starting again!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Fair play to ye, I am off them over 2 years happy to be away from the feckers. Complacency is your biggest enemy. I was off them for a nine year stretch, was not thinking about them at all & then I got complacent & said "Sure a cigar would be no harm!" BAD MISTAKE.
    You have worked hard to get to this point. Keep up the good work. You will not regret it.

• Advertisement

2 days off three weeks. This is definitely a record for me, the furthest I've ever gone is 2 weeks. Thanks to all that posted here, it's helped a lot!

I'm still terrified of having that one slip up so think I'll stay drink free for a bit longer.

23 days today! I even passed the drinks test, went out for drinks last night and didn't smoke. Was so tempted to ask my friend for a puff of her cigarette but thankfully I didn't. I'd have been so annoyed today!

Still not getting complacent though, but I am proud I've managed to stay smoke free!

Unfortunately I cracked Saturday night and had a few cigarettes :( So annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Unfortunately I cracked Saturday night and had a few cigarettes :( So annoyed
    aw, don't worry about cracking , we have all done that, just think how many cigs you did not smoke and get back on the eCigs even with a few cigarettes now and then......it works!

dePeatrick wrote: »
    aw, don't worry about cracking , we have all done that, just think how many cigs you did not smoke and get back on the eCigs even with a few cigarettes now and then......it works!

Thanks for the support, was really beating myself up over it! Haven't had one since!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 niamhd1

Hi, Im new to this site. I've also giving up smoking. I'm only 6 days off them but with the help of the electronic cigarette. im feeling really proud of myself for sticking with it. I tried cold turkey before and only lasted a week which was pure hell for me :( I'm really determined to stay off them this time so will use this e-cig for a while to help. I would recommend them to anyone who wants to kick this habit and cant do it cold turkey. Onwards and upwards peeps. :)

niamhd1 wrote: »
    Hi, Im new to this site. I've also giving up smoking. I'm only 6 days off them but with the help of the electronic cigarette. im feeling really proud of myself for sticking with it. I tried cold turkey before and only lasted a week which was pure hell for me :( I'm really determined to stay off them this time so will use this e-cig for a while to help. I would recommend them to anyone who wants to kick this habit and cant do it cold turkey. Onwards and upwards peeps. :)

Well done, how are you getting on now?

Been just over 7 days since I cracked but haven't had one since!

So is my quit date still the original date I quit (the 15th of January) or do I have to start from scratch after the relapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 niamhd1

Well done, how are you getting on now?

Been just over 7 days since I cracked but haven't had one since!

So is my quit date still the original date I quit (the 15th of January) or do I have to start from scratch after the relapse?

I reckon if u only smoke the one you could carry on with ur original quit date but if u smoked a whole packet u would be starting from scratch. Today is day 7 for me and it's a tough one I have to say. Before this I never even thought about a cigarette but it's all I can think of today. Am trying to be in places that I know you cannot smoke in and have my new best friend (e-cig) with me at all times in case the temptation gets overwhelming. Seems to be helping me get through today so far anyway. Hope you are strong enough to get through it x

So it's been 39 days since I originally quit and 15 days since my relapse.

Feeling so much better these days, do get the odd craving but it passes. I still check this forum daily and rely on the support of others so do let me know how you're all getting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

Ah your doin sound day 50 today bensonless never thought on day 2 or 3 id Hav gone this far but hey was out the weekend thought bout them at the start of the nite then kinda forgot so all gud

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Was off them for over a month and I've smoked about 3 packs in the last 3 days. Not too bothered, lovelytastyummyfags:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

catallus wrote: »
    Not too bothered, lovelytastyummyfags:D

Shame....better luck next time.

Advertisement