Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation Advice in Limerick City

• 22-01-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hope somebody can help - moving in the next two weeks to start a research job in U.L. and looking for an apartment (not house) in Limerick City or Castletroy/Dooradoyle/Raheen.
    Cois Luachra has a few apartments available but seems to be best avoided - any advice on this?
    Not sure what part/s of Limerick city are the safest and suitable for professionals. Any help would be so appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

You'd be mad to live in Dooradoyle/Raheen. Opposite side of the city to the university.

Castletroy is right beside the university but it's a bit soul-less. A lot of the postgrads and postdocs that I know choose to live in the city centre, and cycle, bus or drive (and sometimes walk/run) out to UL. There's a lot more happening in the city to be honest and you'll have a better time of it.

Despite perceptions safety isn't actually much of an issue in Limerick. It's a safer place than any other Irish city, but if you want to live somewhere nice I'd recommend Clancy Strand, O'Callaghan Strand, Ennis Road (these last three places are all near the river and the nicest areas probably). St. Joseph Street and O'Connell Avenue are also good. You'll find apartments in all of these areas.

Apartment complexes worth checking out are Carlton Apartments on lower Cecil Street, Riverpoint on Lower Mallow Street, Savoy Apartments on Bedford Row / Henry Street. Carlton and Savoy would be the best of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Try Castleville Court on Golf Links Road in Castletroy, 10 minute walk from university. I'd recommend staying in Castletroy or Annacotty area, by far the nicest area in Limerick and you have everything you'd need within a few minutes from you.

Dooradoyle/Raheen is the other side of the city but probably only a 10 minute drive on motorway to Castletroy, traffic around university can be heavy before 9 in morning and around 5 in evening. I'd avoid the city myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

fran38 wrote: »
    Southill and Moyross are just sooo heavenly, you'd be mad not to consider them :-)

Witless beyond words mate. Oh - the post that is, I don't want to contravene rules here and insult the poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

+1 to Zulutango's recommendations. I was in the Carlton apartments recently and they're very nice.

The bus service to UL is much more efficient of late too. The RTPI information is pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

zulutango wrote: »
    You'd be mad to live in Dooradoyle/Raheen. Opposite side of the city to the university.

Castletroy is right beside the university but it's a bit soul-less. A lot of the postgrads and postdocs that I know choose to live in the city centre, and cycle, bus or drive (and sometimes walk/run) out to UL. There's a lot more happening in the city to be honest and you'll have a better time of it.

Despite perceptions safety isn't actually much of an issue in Limerick. It's a safer place than any other Irish city, but if you want to live somewhere nice I'd recommend Clancy Strand, O'Callaghan Strand, Ennis Road (these last three places are all near the river and the nicest areas probably). St. Joseph Street and O'Connell Avenue are also good. You'll find apartments in all of these areas.

Apartment complexes worth checking out are Carlton Apartments on lower Cecil Street, Riverpoint on Lower Mallow Street, Savoy Apartments on Bedford Row / Henry Street. Carlton and Savoy would be the best of those.

We're in the city centre, and I agree. There's more to do, and since they improved the bus schedule, added the private bus company, and completed the bike path, it's not much more effort to get to work at UL/Plassey than living in Castletroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What is wrong with Moyross and Southill?

Witless beyond words is correct. These are great places with fantastic communities.
    Yes a few less than reputable characters, some degree of social depravation, but that comes with the socio economic profile.

Some of the most honest, respectable and hardworking people in Limerick are from these areas. Great courage and strength, and sense of community and inclusion. You would be very welcome there.

Based on your requirements however, Annacotty would be nice, Salmon Weir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Hi. I have a big Double room coming up for rent in Carrigeen Annacotty for 230 a month. If your interested give us a shout/pm.
    Just noticed your looking for an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JassC

Alandale, Coutbrack Avenue on the South Circular Road. It's a good 10 minutes drive from UL but accommodation is lovely and very reasonably priced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

JassC wrote: »
    Alandale, Coutbrack Avenue on the South Circular Road. It's a good 10 minutes drive from UL but accommodation is lovely and very reasonably priced.

Avoid Moyross, Southill and Weston like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

zulutango wrote: »

Hi there. Does anybody have a contact number for the Carlton Apartments in the city centre? Doesn't seem to be any, easily available, online.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hi there. Does anybody have a contact number for the Carlton Apartments in the city centre? Doesn't seem to be any, easily available, online.

Thanks

The car park across the road is owned managed by the same company that own/manage Carlton Apartments. Call in there and ask at the office.

Advertisement