Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

famous sons and daughters of Dunshaughlin?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

(Notice optimistic use of the plural in the title!)

So what famous or noted people come from here? I'm just a blow-in here (for the last ten years) so wouldn't be fully aware of who they might be.
    Two names that come to mind are sports journalist Cathal Dervan and (dare I mention him?) Ronan Keating whose family lived here for a time?

Any GAA inter-county stars?

Any historical figures?

Just curious...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Doesn't the blonde barmaid from fair city live there

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

Siobhan Fahey from Bananarama lived there, I had relations there that knew her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Ronan Keating lived beside the school. I remember him getting suspended for fighting and never returning.

Frank MacNamara and his wife lived there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I think Lisa Hannigan is from Dunshaughlin.. Importantly, she's famous and talented!:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Barry Geraghty is/was Dunshaughlin wasn't he? Or is/was he Drumree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Butterface wrote: »
    I think Lisa Hannigan is from Dunshaughlin.. Importantly, she's famous and talented!:)

Kilcloon not Dunshaughlin, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

In terms of historical figures from Dunshaughlin, I remember reading an article in the Meath Chronicle a couple of years ago about a character called Count Stahlberg who was into race horses and who was the owner of a horse that won some notable race. One thing I remember from the article was that the racing colours he chose for his jockeys (black and amber) is the origin of the colours chosen by the Dunshaughlin GAA club. Just going from memory here, open to correction...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

A...rarely heard of 80s/90s marvel comics superheroine. I cant help but think they writers wanted the greatest Irish stereotype imagineable, given she's supposedly the daughter of an IRA commander, her real name is Molly Fitzgerald, and her superpower is 'probability manipulation', so luck.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_%28comics%29

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

CUCINA wrote: »
    sports journalist Cathal Dervan and (dare I mention him?)

Technically it's Ratoath, but 90% of people in that area consider themselves from Dunshaughlin even though the address is Ratoath.
    Main reason is 30 years ago there was nothing in ratoath so we all went to school and shopping and everything was done in Dunshaughlin.
    The other 10% of people went to school in ratoath and the bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

As a footnote, looks like the prize goes to Frank McNamara and his wife, Theresa Lowe!

• Advertisement
Advertisement