Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mis sold an alarm

Options
  • 22-01-2014 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

Would anyone know if there is somewhere I can make a complaint about a company mis-selling a burglar alarm to an elderly and sick woman.

My grandmother was sold a burglar alarm by a company that knocked on her door. They had told her about all the break-ins in the area and she felt that she should buy one.

It is a very basic system with only PIR sensors in the house, there are no sensors on the windows and doors meaning that the alarm will only go off when someone has already gained entry. She wasn't aware of this until I pointed it out to her.

Also, her toilet is downstairs, so every time she comes down during the night she has to unset and reset this system :eek:.

I feel my grandmother was bullied into buying this piece of rubbish and I would like to make a complaint against this company.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have you contacted the company in question?
    After tthat the company's certification body That could be the NSAI, EQA etc.
    There sshould have been a system design proposal drawn up first and this should have been agreed on and signed by your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MyusernameisXX

Thanks for replying KoolKid. I haven't contacted the company yet as I only found out last night. How do I find out who the company's certification board is? They haven't left anything with that on. All they gave her was a receipt that says, living room - beam, kitchen - beam, landing - beam, dining room - beam and she and the sales man signed it. She says he was talking so much and making it sound really hi-tech and modern. I have looked it up and it all can be bought on Amazon for little more than €120.

I am so angry and feel that this company have ripped off my grandmother. They should not be allowed go door to door scarring old people with stories of break ins in the area and encouraging them to buy their alarms. Had I known about this earlier I would have stopped it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

All this company's paperwork should have their certification body's logo and licence number as well as the PSA licence number.
    If not contact the psa and ask them to investigate.

I have looked them up on the PSA register and they are listed, but does this make a difference, can I complain about their selling practices to the PSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I have looked them up on the PSA register and they are listed, but does this make a difference, can I complain about their selling practices to the PSA?

Well you can certainly contact them and they will of course listen and advise you but the main thing you nees to find out fron PSA is who are this companies certification company.

From what I have read so far the system does not appear to have a system design proposal made out, therefore it cannot comply with EN 50131, I am sure any certification body would do something about this.

• Advertisement

Thanks kub, I will contact the PSA today. There is definitely no system design proposal. All they gave her was a receipt with the company's name, no company number on it even and a manual for how to set the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Even so, do you not think she'd be better off with an alarm?
    My grandmother, who lives alone has an alarm and cctv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

PeteK* wrote: »
    Even so, do you not think she'd be better off with an alarm?
    My grandmother, who lives alone has an alarm and cctv.
    a fit for purpose alarm, is good.

an alarm that has no boundary detection, only internal movement detection is of little use, and if you have to disable it to go to the loo, then chances are, it's likely to not be switched on at all eventually.

Bogger77 wrote: »
    and if you have to disable it to go to the loo, then chances are, it's likely to not be switched on at all eventually.

That is a recognised fact in our business, it is human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

kub wrote: »
    That is a recognised fact in our business, it is human nature.
    a zoned system does not have such an issue.

• Advertisement

Bogger77 wrote: »
    a zoned system does not have such an issue.

Oh really, well I suppose after 24 years in this business what would I know?

I do not know of any intruder alarm system that Is not made up of zones, so please broaden my horizons.

How could a passive infared beam know the difference between a householder and an intruder?
    If then that particular beam was programmed as a part guard zone, then the area which it is covering is not being monitored by the system.

Advertisement