Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB

Options
  • 22-01-2014 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Why do I have these pings to all the servers throughout Europe? I would have thought after complaining for 13 months last time to get this sorted, the fix would have last longer than a year.

This costs over 100 euro, and is worse than 56k latency.

219qcrt.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What's the crack lads? NGB is advertised as being uncongested 

wa3ibk.png

Router Sync

21865/767 (kbps)

Line stats

5wkqw6.png

Distance to exchange

70-80 metres

Have you rang technical support

Yes, even spoke to a manager who had nothing technical to tell me

Any you annoyed

Yes. Tbh I really care much about the speed I'm receiving once its not crawling. I just want something that offers better quality of service than dial up, something reliable. If there was an option to reduce my bandwidth but provide stable pings I would jump at it.

Even to your own network the ping is lousy. Before 7 or 8 pm I get 12-15ms to eircom.net

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\PC>ping www.eircom.net

Pinging home.eircom.net [86.43.38.8] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 86.43.38.8:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 53ms

Everywhere else in Europe is 200, and the uk is over 100

Tracing route to home.eircom.net [86.43.38.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 65 ms 64 ms 63 ms b-ras2.dbn.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.5]
    3 63 ms 64 ms 62 ms ge-2-1-7.pe1.dbn.cld-dbn.eircom.net [86.43.246.1
    57]
    4 65 ms 64 ms 63 ms tenge-3-1-1.core2.dbn.core.eircom.net [86.43.252
    .101]
    5 63 ms 64 ms 62 ms tenge-1-2-1.pe2.crz.crz-crz.eircom.net [86.43.25
    2.138]
    6 65 ms 62 ms 66 ms ge1-5.service4.cra.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.12
    5.46]
    7 73 ms 63 ms 61 ms isp1.eircom.net [86.43.38.8]

Trace complete.

European servers

2pq46d3.png

Things are fine up until 6pm and stay bad until 12pm

This is taken from Eircoms website, quote for quote

"We have great uncongested broadband with speeds up to 24Mb and we'll upgrade you for FREE when eFibre comes to your area. "

It was ngb enabled roughly a year ago, Would appreciate any info thanks

anyone?

Same craic again tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Conallmacker

get a vpn if your want a temporary solution to the problem, eircoms routing is ****

Don't think a vpn will sort it

have a look here http://i42.tinypic.com/2yobc6u.jpg

and here off heanet ftp server

http://i44.tinypic.com/1rrp6e.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Conallmacker

it worked for me, i can play in league of legends when i would normally have 150+ ping in the evenings at the normal 70 ping. but you could be having a different problem. here two speed test i did just there one without the vpn and the other with.

http://tinypic.com/r/2h3zde8/5

http://i39.tinypic.com/24mb63d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Hate to hi jack the thread but how do i find out how far i am from the exchange?

Having continuous problems with speeds up and down all the time
    thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Hate to hi jack the thread but how do i find out how far i am from the exchange?

thanks lads

crasy dash wrote: »

thanks lads

Do you know what exchange you're on? If you find the stats line attenuation and SN margin in expert mode 192.168.1.254 under stats/dsl it should give you an idea what your line can handle.

Enter the values Downstream attenuation and downstream SN margin here http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

It should calculate a rough distance for you.

it worked for me, i can play in league of legends when i would normally have 150+ ping in the evenings at the normal 70 ping. but you could be having a different problem. here two speed test i did just there one without the vpn and the other with.
    Cheers for the suggestion mate, I play fps games and the first hop out of the router is 80 or so , so it probably won't be worth it. At least you found something that works for you, sad state of affairs when you need to vpn your own home connection just so its somewhat useable.

• Advertisement

bump

I rang technical support already. I want some proper answers

"We say "up to" because the broadband speeds your line can receive may vary - this can depend on factors such as how far you are from your local exchange. With our uncongested Broadband you will not share your broadband connection with other internet users in your area - even at peak hours of the day! This ensures you will always receive the fastest speed your line can support and delivers a consistent online experience for you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

nuxxx wrote: »
    bump

"We say "up to" because the broadband speeds your line can receive may vary - this can depend on factors such as how far you are from your local exchange. With our uncongested Broadband you will not share your broadband connection with other internet users in your area - even at peak hours of the day! This ensures you will always receive the fastest speed your line can support and delivers a consistent online experience for you"
    Hi nuxxx

I have made our position clear on this on numerous ocasions to you throughout multiple threads on this forum and our own. Please review my responses.

Thanks

Al

bump

Hi nuxxx

I have made our position clear on this on numerous ocasions to you throughout multiple threads on this forum and our own. Please review my responses.

Thanks

Al
    Which is what? What is your position 

post edited after correspondence with eircom rep

post edited after correspondence with eircom rep
    Thanks nuxxx

As soon as I have more information on the progress of the reference number I sent you I'll let you know right away.

Thanks

Al

An Engineer called out today and had a look at the line, recommended me to ring broadband support and lower the profile to 18Mb, did that tonight when the problems started but it didn't solve anything.

Any idea where to go from here?

Thanks.

bump

An Engineer called out today and had a look at the line, recommended me to ring broadband support and lower the profile to 18Mb, did that tonight when the problems started but it didn't solve anything.

Any idea where to go from here?

Thanks.
    Hi nuxxx

From what I see this has been re-assigned for further investigation but I will seek clarification from repairs on this and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks

Al

bump
    Hi nuxxx

The issues may be also affected by the faults created by the weather but I'll still seek clarification on this for you :

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/Fault-Levels-Remain-High-due-to-weather-conditions/td-p/53924

Thanks

Al

Ok

• Advertisement

Post Edited.

Got a phone call from a tech manager who told me the local exchange no where near capacity, so that indicates a problem along Eircoms network somewhere. Anyway tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

Surely eircom should be able to see that people are being throttled and that there are problems with their network somewhere. What good is efibre when they can't maintain even maintain 7mbs . What a complete load of s***

And the same bad latency to everywhere :( I'm going to give it until Sunday week before deciding what to do next

Total amount due by 10 Feb 14 € 127.85 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

And the same bad latency to everywhere :( I'm going to give it until Sunday week before deciding what to do next

Total amount due by 10 Feb 14 € 127.85 :rolleyes:
    i have the same problem i have been in a contract with eircom 2 months i have emailed complaints department,had a technician out and he showed me my line is congested.
    i have tried to cancel my contract with eircom because they have told me the line is uncongested.
    i argued my case with them for 90 minutes on thursday as i want to cancel my contract,to say they were unhelpful is an understatement.

surely i can cancel my contract without having to pay the 400euro they quoted me to do so.

sorry for hijacking your thread.

no worries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

The more publicity the better

http://i62.tinypic.com/2e4gapk.png

Same craic. Low download speeds poor latency

Some Eircom lad called today saying himself and another lad are going to fix this apparent fault on my line Monday.

heard nothing from any engineers today

• Advertisement

1 week eircom, ball is in your court

Advertisement