Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

nuxxx wrote: »
    1 week eircom, ball is in your court

Hi [font=Times New Roman","serif]nuxxx

I'm doing all I can to have this done as soon as possible and I'm giving you regular updates on the line fault. You have communicated you dissatisfaction on this on numerous occasions but I'm genuinely doing my best.

There is nothing further I can see with this but I'll ask repairs for an update and let you know as soon as I have an update.

Al[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I know you're doing your best my problem isn't with you. I was lied to again by your company that someone would be out here this morning. My anger isn't with you at all so don't take what I write here personally.

Can you pm me the complaints no please.

I know you're doing your best my problem isn't with you. I was lied to again by your company that someone would be out here this morning. My anger isn't with you at all so don't take what I write here personally.

Can you pm me the complaints no please.
    Hi nuxxx

I PM'd it to you just now

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mightycraic

Alan, probably not your department, but could you please try to enlighten me about the faults text service that Eircom (partly) use? In recent weeks, I have received 5 text messages asking if my fault has been resolved and, if not, to text UNRESOLVED to 50120 and I would be called within 24 hours. Those calls have never come (the last being at 16:35 yesterday). Like nuxxx's no-show, does anyone in Eircom understand how frustrating this behaviour is?

As we speak, it's the same old story with severe congestion on the NG network. Even got this a short while ago...

oops.jpg

Shortly after, once I could connect to something, I ran several Traceroutes to the same Irish server. Plenty of lost packets on their core routers (Crown Alley?). Difficult to blame this one on the local exchange.

tracert.jpg

• Advertisement

3280410317.png

Pings are sky high too. Your broadband isn't uncongested. It has nothing got to with my phoneline, you're not providing the service that is advertised and I'm paying over 100e for. During the day pings are fine and I always get over 16Mb

This isn't directed at you Alan I know there's nothing you can do, I just don't know what I should do? I've complained here, on the Eircom forums themselves, rang technical support lots of times, had engineers here, logged complaints. Nothing changes.

3280410317.png

Pings are sky high too. Your broadband isn't uncongested. It has nothing got to with my phoneline, you're not providing the service that is advertised and I'm paying over 100e for. During the day pings are fine and I always get over 16Mb

This isn't directed at you Alan I know there's nothing you can do, I just don't know what I should do? I've complained here, on the Eircom forums themselves, rang technical support lots of times, had engineers here, logged complaints. Nothing changes.

Hi nuxxx

I have tried to explain on multiple occasions that there is an issue with your line and works are ongoing to resolve this for you. You have even been informed this by eircom engineers. We have also given our position on the congestion issues to threads to have posted on.

Al

Engineer finished the work this morning. Will post back results tomorrow. 

Delighted Eircom found an issue with my line that makes my connection go to crap only at peak hours but wont tell me what it is! Am I doing it right?

No1 has told me why my ngb is congested, if you don't have answers fine, just don't lie and treat me like a fool.

Engineer finished the work this morning. Will post back results tomorrow. 

Delighted Eircom found an issue with my line that makes my connection go to crap only at peak hours but wont tell me what it is! Am I doing it right?

No1 has told me why my ngb is congested, if you don't have answers fine, just don't lie and treat me like a fool.
    At least Alan is replying to your messages. All of mine are being ignored. Good manners cost nothing.

Alan, probably not your department, but could you please try to enlighten me about the faults text service that Eircom (partly) use? In recent weeks, I have received 5 text messages asking if my fault has been resolved and, if not, to text UNRESOLVED to 50120 and I would be called within 24 hours. Those calls have never come (the last being at 16:35 yesterday). Like nuxxx's no-show, does anyone in Eircom understand how frustrating this behaviour is?

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Mightycraic

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, when there are a number of queries for different users on the same thread this can cause delays at times.

I'm also sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing surround the technicians text facility, there is not much light I can cast on their texting procedures but I do apologise for the inconvenience and disappointment this has created.

I see you have contacted technical support as this is now with engineers but if you would like to PM me the fault reference number I'll see if there is any further update to this for you.

Thanks

Al[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

Have to say am getting 4.5mb ATM. This is the best it's been in a long time at this hour of the night. Normally get 13 mb during the day.

Spoke too soon. Speeds back to 2mb again. Welcome to 2002 again.

Same, and still horrible latency. Have contracted comreg. Tired of being lied to. A manager was supposed to call me yesterday with an update and as of today still nothing. Will be looking for a reasonable refund dating back to September. I kept my side of the contract.

Out of all the calls, images, posts I have made here and on the Eircom Forum, I have never gotten a reply of something like "Yeah that traceroute doesn't look right, let me send it on to the Engineers to have a look at" Not once. They've all been ignored.

I have never gotten a pm or phone call saying "There is x and x problem based in x and x and the time frame may be x" That's all I wanted, some kind of update but you couldn't even provide that.

Eircom Tony, who is the community manager, Ignored my PM aswell.

Take me off b-ras2 and put me on 1 and see if that makes any difference

That'd be enough to make me happy. To know it will be fixed and to have a time frame.  I think eircom could be doing this deliberately to push people onto 18 month contracts with efibre as opposed to continuing contracts with Vodafone/Sky. It's really the regulator that should be involved with this fiasco.

Speed has dropped to 1.43 mbs now

Speed has dropped to 1.43 mbs now

I agree, some update with an estimated time and explanation of a technical problem would resolve alot of my frustration. Like for example why does traffic leaving London to 90% of servers in mainland Europe add 100+ ms latency at peak hours.

2md32g7.png

To me its obvious congestion on Eircoms side but no Eircom rep has ever even attempted to explain it or acknowledge it. This is a core problem on your network that Eircom are ignoring. It has been ongoing since September without any resolution.

Why do my pings go from 15ms to 80-90ms at night on Eircom's own network since the end of November. To me its obvious congestion on Eircoms side but no Eircom rep has ever even attempted to explain it or acknowledge it.

Why does my download speed drop to 2Mb at peak times since the end of November? To me its obvious congestion on Eircoms side but no Eircom rep has ever even attempted to explain it or acknowledge it.

I ring broadband support, I'm told be one of the technical guys there to try googling ways to reduce ping. I post here on the forums, I'm not given any technical information, they won't even tell me what the fault was on my line, but surprise, it was fixed today and I still have the exact same issues.

Please just don't fob me off again, admit there is a problem and give me some kind of update on what work are the Eircom Engineers doing to fix this. It has nothing to do with my phoneline, since Fiber began rolling out these problems began, before that there wasn't a single problem.

Why advertise something you can't provide? How would you react paying for Sky Digital or whatever and every night half the channels just don't work. You ring their support and you're told to try googling ways to get them back on, you're told to try turning the sky box off and on again. Sky send out engineers and tells you the problem is fixed. The same night you sit down to watch some TV and the problem still remains. How would you react being treated like this over several months and all the time being overcharged for it.

I want some information on my problem, not lies. I don't care if its good or bad news, I just want something. Being left in the dark like this is incredibility frustrating and my health is suffering as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

I agree, some update with an estimated time and explanation of a technical problem would resolve alot of my frustration. Like for example why does traffic leaving London to 90% of servers in mainland Europe add 100+ ms latency at peak hours.

2md32g7.png

To me its obvious congestion on Eircoms side but no Eircom rep has ever even attempted to explain it or acknowledge it. This is a core problem on your network that Eircom are ignoring. It has been ongoing since September without any resolution.

Why do my pings go from 15ms to 80-90ms at night on Eircom's own network since the end of November. To me its obvious congestion on Eircoms side but no Eircom rep has ever even attempted to explain it or acknowledge it.

Why does my download speed drop to 2Mb at peak times since the end of November? To me its obvious congestion on Eircoms side but no Eircom rep has ever even attempted to explain it or acknowledge it.

I ring broadband support, I'm told be one of the technical guys there to try googling ways to reduce ping. I post here on the forums, I'm not given any technical information, they won't even tell me what the fault was on my line, but surprise, it was fixed today and I still have the exact same issues.

Please just don't fob me off again, admit there is a problem and give me some kind of update on what work are the Eircom Engineers doing to fix this. It has nothing to do with my phoneline, since Fiber began rolling out these problems began, before that there wasn't a single problem.

Why advertise something you can't provide? How would you react paying for Sky Digital or whatever and every night half the channels just don't work. You ring their support and you're told to try googling ways to get them back on, you're told to try turning the sky box off and on again. Sky send out engineers and tells you the problem is fixed. The same night you sit down to watch some TV and the problem still remains. How would you react being treated like this over several months and all the time being overcharged for it.

I want some information on my problem, not lies. I don't care if its good or bad news, I just want something. Being left in the dark like this is incredibility frustrating and my health is suffering as a result.
    100% agree its a joke at this stage that they are allowed get away with the blatant false advertising and lies.

also how did you get on with comreg? i would be intrigued what they have to say...PM me there if you want.

Hi Mightycraic

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, when there are a number of queries for different users on the same thread this can cause delays at times.

I'm also sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing surround the technicians text facility, there is not much light I can cast on their texting procedures but I do apologise for the inconvenience and disappointment this has created.

I see you have contacted technical support as this is now with engineers but if you would like to PM me the fault reference number I'll see if there is any further update to this for you.

Thanks

Al
    Alan, I appreciate you replying but I now have finally received calls from an Eircom manager who is calling when they promise to and is escalating as necessary. They did arrange a technician to visit the local exchange yesterday (nothing untowards found) and another is being despatched today.

Hi Mightycraic

Thanks

Al
    Alan, I appreciate you replying but I now have finally received calls from an Eircom manager who is calling when they promise to and is escalating as necessary. They did arrange a technician to visit the local exchange yesterday (nothing untowards found) and another is being despatched today.
    Thanks Mightycraic

I do hope this can be resolved soon.

Al

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Don't think a vpn will sort it

have a look here http://i42.tinypic.com/2yobc6u.jpg

and here off heanet ftp server

http://i44.tinypic.com/1rrp6e.png
    Nuxx, I cannot reply to your PM, you are out of space there, so hope this answers your PM
    Hi nuxxx
    I am not sure where the idea has come from that we know more than we are saying. What you and others describe does appear to be congestion, however on some of the exchanges we have investigated, and ASAMs we know there is no congestion. Some of the cases we have dealt with have in fact turned out to be the users own fault, running multiple programs, having too many connection at peak times within their own household. I am not saying this is your case. I am saying we will not know until a full investigation either clears the exchange or identifies a problem. I do think we can rule out the idea of international server routing issue, despite some detailed posts here.
    All I can say is we have been pushing since the first post went up and we have been successful in getting a details investigation going. I hope to have some info on this soon.
    Tony

Tony, I can only speak for myself but my connection was moved to an uncongested ASAM (ISAM?) yesterday afternoon (Trim exchange) and, last night, I was getting the following stats (12Mbps connection).

3282883645.png

A vast improvement over the 500k-2M I was getting previously. This does appear to be a capacity planning issue with ASAMs oversubscribed given their current capacity. It was hinted that the 150Mbps trunks are due to be upgraded to 300Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Tony, I can only speak for myself but my connection was moved to an uncongested ASAM (ISAM?) yesterday afternoon (Trim exchange) and, last night, I was getting the following stats (12Mbps connection).

3282883645.png

A vast improvement over the 500k-2M I was getting previously. This does appear to be a capacity planning issue with ASAMs oversubscribed given their current capacity. It was hinted that the 150Mbps trunks are due to be upgraded to 300Mbps.
    Well good to hear that Mightycraic and that does seem to be an option for some of the cases we have seen. We are working to upgrade some ASAMs as you say and this is actually a continuing process to improve service. Unfortunately this is not the answer for all of the cases we have investigated so far.
    Thanks for your post and I am glad that you have received better speeds as a result.

Tony 

Hi Tony, sorry for cross posting but

Don't think a vpn will sort it

have a look here http://i42.tinypic.com/2yobc6u.jpg

and here off heanet ftp server

http://i44.tinypic.com/1rrp6e.png
    Nuxx, I cannot reply to your PM, you are out of space there, so hope this answers your PM
    Hi nuxxx
    I am not sure where the idea has come from that we know more than we are saying. What you and others describe does appear to be congestion, however on some of the exchanges we have investigated, and ASAMs we know there is no congestion. Some of the cases we have dealt with have in fact turned out to be the users own fault, running multiple programs, having too many connection at peak times within their own household. I am not saying this is your case. I am saying we will not know until a full investigation either clears the exchange or identifies a problem. I do think we can rule out the idea of international server routing issue, despite some detailed posts here.
    All I can say is we have been pushing since the first post went up and we have been successful in getting a details investigation going. I hope to have some info on this soon.
    Tony
    I don't agree with this at all and will post proof of it tonight when the problems occur. I understand you're doing your job and trying to keep people happy, I can appreciate that.

New low of 1.18 mbs 

Hi Tony,

I have deleted alot of private messages so should have room now to receive them. Just want to follow on, on your idea of there being no international routing server issue.

Below are links to 3 servers I rent in Germany, screenshots taken during the day and tonight at peak hours. All 3 are separate server providers based in Germany.

2i0xjk6.png Server 1 Daytime

2hnxrg8.png Server 1 Night

2m7c8qh.png Server 2 Daytime

2cyo8sh.png Server 2 Night

rhizhd.png Server 3 Daytime

1fbbef.png Server 3 Night

Here is a friend in England's trace to the second server at peak time. He's on the BT network over there. As you can see the last 3 hops are identical however he suffers from no congestion/100ms+ ping increase

C:\>tracert de2.ut99.pro
      Tracing route to de2.ut99.pro [82.96.119.12]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:
        1   <10 ms   <10 ms   <10 ms  192.168.1.100
        2   <10 ms    15 ms   <10 ms  10.6.192.1
        3   <10 ms    16 ms   <10 ms  wolv-core-2b-ae6-703.network.virginmedia.net [80.3.145.158]
        4   <10 ms    16 ms    15 ms  brhm-bb-1b-ae7-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.145]
        5   <10 ms    15 ms    16 ms  nrth-bb-1b-et-410-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.175.78]
        6     *       15 ms    16 ms  nrth-bb-1c-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.110]
        7   <10 ms    15 ms    16 ms  nrth-tmr-1-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.30]
        8    16 ms    31 ms    31 ms  fran-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.185.81]
        9    16 ms    31 ms    31 ms  decix1.eurotransit.net [80.81.192.133]
       10    15 ms    32 ms    31 ms  fragnet.demarc.eurotransit.net [82.96.89.142]
       11    16 ms    31 ms    31 ms  82.96.119.12

Trace complete.

Obviously the local issues are more important and should take priority just pointing out what you wrote previous isn't correct.

Looking forward to your reply.

Engineers out here again, what the heck. They were told the telephone line was down?

Internet down for last 3 hours, engineers were told the phoneline was down I think.

What's happening  nuxxx? Was there a line fault and are your problems resolved?

• Advertisement

Tonight's the first night since a long time my ping has been stable to Eircom.net

23krlf9.png

It looks like they're routing my packets differently. The engineers were here and at the exchange for 3 hours so they must have changed something. The problems to my German servers still exist as highlighted a few posts above but this is certainly a good start and I hope it stays stable. I hope it isn't a one off in other words.

The download speed isn't as good as it is during the day, around 8Mb down but I don't really care once the connection itself is stable and I'm able to play a few games at night.

If a rep could let me know what they changed I'd appreciate it, or by PM.

I would be a very happy Eircom customer if you could fix the issues I'm having to Germany but for now its nice to get some good news.

Nothing might have changed, maybe just less people online tonight because of flooding etc but its better to be optimistic.

Fingers crossed.

edit: For about 1 minute it seemed to switch "profile" ? and I was back to unstable latency to eircom.net but then switched back again. Very strange. All is good now though.

Advertisement