Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

Thanks Nuxxx, for keeping us updated. I would also like to know what was done.

Eircom can you please help with my problems also. I had sent a pm to Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

nuxxx wrote: »
    Hi Tony,

I have deleted alot of private messages so should have room now to receive them. Just want to follow on, on your idea of there being no international routing server issue.

Below are links to 3 servers I rent in Germany, screenshots taken during the day and tonight at peak hours. All 3 are separate server providers based in Germany.

2i0xjk6.pngServer 1 Daytime

2hnxrg8.png Server 1 Night

2m7c8qh.png Server 2 Daytime

2cyo8sh.png Server 2 Night

rhizhd.png Server 3 Daytime

1fbbef.png Server 3 Night

Here is a friend in England's trace to the second server at peak time. He's on the BT network over there. As you can see the last 3 hops are identical however he suffers from no congestion/100ms+ ping increase

C:\>tracert de2.ut99.pro
      Tracing route to de2.ut99.pro [82.96.119.12]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:
        1   <10 ms   <10 ms   <10 ms  192.168.1.100
        2   <10 ms    15 ms   <10 ms  10.6.192.1
        3   <10 ms    16 ms   <10 ms  wolv-core-2b-ae6-703.network.virginmedia.net [80.3.145.158]
        4   <10 ms    16 ms    15 ms  brhm-bb-1b-ae7-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.145]
        5   <10 ms    15 ms    16 ms  nrth-bb-1b-et-410-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.175.78]
        6     *       15 ms    16 ms  nrth-bb-1c-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.110]
        7   <10 ms    15 ms    16 ms  nrth-tmr-1-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.30]
        8    16 ms    31 ms    31 ms  fran-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.185.81]
        9    16 ms    31 ms    31 ms  decix1.eurotransit.net [80.81.192.133]
       10    15 ms    32 ms    31 ms  fragnet.demarc.eurotransit.net [82.96.89.142]
       11    16 ms    31 ms    31 ms  82.96.119.12

Trace complete.

Obviously the local issues are more important and should take priority just pointing out what you wrote previous isn't correct.

Looking forward to your reply.
    Any comment on the above Tony? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Tonight's the first night since a long time my ping has been stable to Eircom.net

23krlf9.png

It looks like they're routing my packets differently. The engineers were here and at the exchange for 3 hours so they must have changed something. The problems to my German servers still exist as highlighted a few posts above but this is certainly a good start and I hope it stays stable. I hope it isn't a one off in other words.

The download speed isn't as good as it is during the day, around 8Mb down but I don't really care once the connection itself is stable and I'm able to play a few games at night.

If a rep could let me know what they changed I'd appreciate it, or by PM.

I would be a very happy Eircom customer if you could fix the issues I'm having to Germany but for now its nice to get some good news.

Nothing might have changed, maybe just less people online tonight because of flooding etc but its better to be optimistic.

Fingers crossed.

edit: For about 1 minute it seemed to switch "profile" ? and I was back to unstable latency to eircom.net but then switched back again. Very strange. All is good now though.
    Hi Nuxx
    I have spoken with the tech that was out there and he does confirm that work was done to the DP. Cable from the drop point into your house and box were replaced. Our tests show all is now correct there. There was no need to do work at the exchange as suggested above though.
    Connection should now be stable.
    Regards
    Tony

Hi to all on this thread.

While it is frustrating to not have received an explanation to the issue / issues raised here I can absolutely advise that I have taken all relevant information I could form your posts, including your line numbers, where available, specific comments on times and areas where this has been experienced ( ie local exchanges) along with the information supplied by some here of an issue with international routing, I have passed this to the highest technical and network level and these issue are being investigated.

The argument put by many here is of a general network congestion issue, however this does have to be investigated on a case by case basis ( at local exchange level) if an issue is identified, this will be scheduled for works order.
    This does take time.
    In advising posters here to report this to broadband tech support ( and I have seen many of you have) this helps us in gathering technical and system tested information, along with establishing a pattern, ie times and geographical location. All of this information is needed to establish and identify issue as reported here.
    So far in the investigations on numbers supplied to us on the forum the majority of cases have nothing to do with local exchanges, but instead have to do with other factors.
    It is for this reason we ask that you call tech support (if not already done so) have them troubleshoot issue and if not resolved open a technical fault ticket.
    If you PM us with this ref, we can add to the cases we have already highlighted and hopefully get information for you.

We understand that slow speeds can cause enormous frustration, especially to those working from home, though we cannot at this time offer more information on the posts raised here, eircom have given this issue priority.

We hope that we can post results or actions taken on this issue soon.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭thret

Hi to all on this thread.

While it is frustrating to not have received an explanation to the issue / issues raised here I can absolutely advise that I have taken all relevant information I could form your posts, including your line numbers, where available, specific comments on times and areas where this has been experienced ( ie local exchanges) along with the information supplied by some here of an issue with international routing, I have passed this to the highest technical and network level and these issue are being investigated.

The argument put by many here is of a general network congestion issue, however this does have to be investigated on a case by case basis ( at local exchange level) if an issue is identified, this will be scheduled for works order.
    This does take time.
    In advising posters here to report this to broadband tech support ( and I have seen many of you have) this helps us in gathering technical and system tested information, along with establishing a pattern, ie times and geographical location. All of this information is needed to establish and identify issue as reported here.
    So far in our investigations, approximately 7 out of 10 cases have nothing to do with local exchanges, but instead have to do with other factors.
    It is for this reason we ask that you call tech support (if not already done so) have them troubleshoot issue and if not resolved open a technical fault ticket.
    If you PM us with this ref, we can add to the cases we have already highlighted and hopefully get information for you.

We understand that slow speeds can cause enormous frustration, especially to those working from home, though we cannot at this time offer more information on the posts raised here, eircom have given this issue priority.

We hope that we can post results or actions taken on this issue soon.
    Tony
    I've spent many euro on phone credit calling tech support, however they keep telling me that nothing can be done, because ping to "local" servers i.e. Ireland on speedtest is under 100. When I do traceroute or speedtest to any other European location my ping is over 150 at peak times which is not acceptable. I'm done spending money though to do the same thing over and over again.

• Advertisement

Tony the issue to Germany has been going on since at least September

Yea. I didn't play over summer, but when I came back in september this had began..

Hi nuxxx
    I do appreciate this and my last post above was in response to posts on congestion at local exchange level. Your own trace route does seem to show a possible issue between our London routers and DECIX, however some servers do lower the priority of pings and trace routes giving the impression of packet  drops. This issue will be investigated as part of the investigations I mentioned in previous posts. Both of these issues are currently being investigated as a matter of priority.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Hi nuxxx
    I do appreciate this and my last post above was in response to posts on congestion at local exchange level. Your own trace route does seem to show a possible issue between our London routers and DECIX, however some servers do lower the priority of pings and trace routes giving the impression of packet  drops. This issue will be investigated as part of the investigations I mentioned in previous posts. Both of these issues are currently being investigated as a matter of priority.
    Tony
    As someone who's in the exact same boat as the OP (Every evening without fail my broadband drops to pretty much nothing until about 1am) you're honestly saying that nuxx had a magic bit of cable to his house that slowed down every evening and sped up again the next morning, day in day out without fail?  That's the "official" eircom position and you're sticking to it?  Despite the OP saying that work was done in the exchange on eircom's "uncongested" package?

pH wrote: »

Hi nuxxx
    Tony
    As someone who's in the exact same boat as the OP (Every evening without fail my broadband drops to pretty much nothing until about 1am) you're honestly saying that nuxx had a magic bit of cable to his house that slowed down every evening and sped up again the next morning, day in day out without fail?  That's the "official" eircom position and you're sticking to it?  Despite the OP saying that work was done in the exchange on eircom's "uncongested" package?
    Hi pH
    I did not mention magic at all. My post takes account of the fact that even after local tech had identified and worked on a local issue that his trace routes posted to us do show up a possible issue. This has been reported and will be investigated. The official position is that due to the info gathered here in the last few weeks we have been able to pass on information to help in this investigation and will post any info here.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi Tony, connection has improved at peak times with regards local pings and download speeds, get a good stable 12ms to Eircom.net now 24/7 compared to 80/90ms to eircom.net during peak times before. This makes it possible to game on most non German servers around Europe. I'm glad it got sorted, and I apologize to any Eircom Rep's here if I took an aggressive posting tone with them, was nothing personal just frustration. I had a major issue with Eircom in the past which took them a very long time to fix so was expecting the worst and believed I had to make noise to get noticed. I hope there's good news on the decix routing issue soon, will keep an eye on this thread.

Hi Tony, connection has improved at peak times with regards local pings and download speeds, get a good stable 12ms to Eircom.net now 24/7 compared to 80/90ms to eircom.net during peak times before. This makes it possible to game on most non German servers around Europe. I'm glad it got sorted, and I apologize to any Eircom Rep's here if I took an aggressive posting tone with them, was nothing personal just frustration. I had a major issue with Eircom in the past which took them a very long time to fix so was expecting the worst and believed I had to make noise to get noticed. I hope there's good news on the decix routing issue soon, will keep an eye on this thread.
    Thanks for the feedback nuxxx and we understand how frustrating this issue is. Actually you did not come across as aggressive at all and our apologies that it did take some time to resolve this. Unfortunately since the 30th December 2013 technical resources have had to be dedicated to large numbers of line and broadband faults across the country, and this has caused delays.
    The investigation into international routing is ongoing and we hope to be able to provide updates as we get them.
    Tony

Something weird going on tonight, out of the blue

3308868617.png

C:\Users\PC>ping www.eircom.net

Pinging home.eircom.net [86.43.38.8] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=58
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 86.43.38.8:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 77ms, Maximum = 78ms, Average = 77ms

Tried restarting router, no change. It took about 5 minutes for it to sync

Stable 77-79 ms to Eircom.net but alot of packetloss.

Very disappointing, youtube won't load properly

Same again today :mad:

Very strange

new ref number: 1321739

2yuyujk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Same craic here nuxxx though I didn't see any improvement for a brief period like you did. Just the usual speed drops every evening for months now. Tony, if my ISP is not Eircom but an Eircom reseller, how do I go about getting an engineer to check the local exchange?

O'Prez wrote: »
    Same craic here nuxxx though I didn't see any improvement for a brief period like you did. Just the usual speed drops every evening for months now. Tony, if my ISP is not Eircom but an Eircom reseller, how do I go about getting an engineer to check the local exchange?
    Hi O'Prez
    this request would have to come from your service provider.  You raise the issue with them, they open a ticket on the case. Your provider would then contact eircom through our wholesale team and a fault request would be opened there. There is normally a 2 to 4 day turn-a-round on these but due to recent weather conditions I know that there is some delays there.
    Tony

3337031350.png

Pings are still bad to Germany too

3337031350.png

Pings are still bad to Germany too
    Hi nuxxx
    we are still looking into this one. Hope to have some update soon.
    Tony

Been hearing that for months Tony

• Advertisement

Been hearing that for months Tony
    Hi Guys

Apologies for delay in getting a response to the issues and posts here but we did have to gather a lot of data from your posts and to make sense of the issues reported.
    Thanks to the information provided here, to our own eircom forum and reports to our broadband tech team there is currently an upgrade plan underway to identify and resolve any issues that may be affecting NGB broadband services.
    These improvements are expected to be fully delivered within the coming 3 – 4 weeks. 
    We will post more information to the forum once we have this.
    We do appreciate you patience and hope that this investigation will resolve many of the cases reported here.
    Again thanks for you feedback and information provided.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

I hope it's fixed in newlandscross too. I not keeping my hopes up though

Still the same issues to Germany, every night

Still the same issues to Germany, every night
    Can certainly approve! Need this fixed!!! Getting very very annoyed.

another month gone Tony without improvement

Can't even watch youtube on 240p right at this point, even 144p freezes sometimes......
    Joke...

Trying to stream Ultra Music Festival trough youtube, worked fine a few hours back.. Now consistently stuttering on 240p :))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    Eircom is a piece of 
    Nothing but false promises for a year

Sunday 4PM

So much for everything fixed in 3 or 4 weeks

mj8lc7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

mine as exceptionally brutal last night and just as bad today as well.

• Advertisement

Is the issue to Germany ever going to be concluded? 7 months its been going on, is that considered a fair time frame for issues like this to be resolved

Advertisement