Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap of Dunloe

Options
  • 23-01-2014 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

not sure if I should put this in the Killarney thread or leave it here ...

trying to arrange some sightseeing for relations coming in July.

one thing they asked me about was Killarney.

I was thinking of taking them on a short "ring" - not the full N70 / 71 / 72 route (various reasons we can't do the full ring).

I'm not from the area (obviously :eek: ) but was thinking of this route:

N71 to Molls Gap

turn off N71, onto R568 towards Black Valley,

through the Gap of Dunloe & back to Killarney via the N72

Are there any prohibitions on going this route - I take it the roads are public?

Could anyone give any recommendations?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

No, there are no prohibitions. The road is narrow, but no restrictions.

Somethimes when going the opposite direction the jarveys stop people and tell them 'No cars allowed' in order to get them to take a trip with them instead and pay an exorbitant fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

No, no problems at all. As Axel Lamp said. The jarveys are not the most co-operative to let you pass them. Just relax and enjoy the views.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Just a suggestion, but why not turn left at the top of Molls gap and head down into beautiful Kenmare for lunch ( I'd recommend 'Jam' on Henry St), then head across the suspension Bridge and either
    (A) turn right over the suspension bridge and head out the Beara way (n571) taking in the Healy Pass, and then you can take them across in the cable car to Dursey island, or
    (B) continue on the N71 over the Caha Pass to Glengariff, take them out to Garnish Island, then a quick visit to Gougane Barra and then back onto the n22 and an easy drive back to Killarney.

The Beara way has the advantage of being quieter than the ring, especially in July and August when the ring is busiest. The views from both are spectacular. To be honest there's a lot more to see on either route, but you'd need more time. Both routes are a good day's touring and would make a lasting impression on your guests.

The trips to Dursey or Garnish, while lovely, would be much further than a circuit through the Gap.

The Gap of Dunloe is stunning, well worth a trip. Be sure to stop at Brandon's Cottage on the Upper Lake, there is a tea room there. Then drive past the Black Valley Church and up to the "Head of the Gap". If early on a weekday, the going might be easier, on a sunny Saturday or Sunday in summer you will be meeting the jaunting cars again and again. The next stretch from there to the old cottages at Auger Lake is the narrowest stretch, it widens again before Kate Kearneys. Be sure and stop once or twice and get out of the car to take in the scale of it all.

dunloe-1920-900-gap-of-dunloe-image-by-olivier-thierry.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

thanks all for the replies - most helpful

it's gonna have to be the route I was thinking myself - as I mentioned, for various reasons (time is only one) I can't take them on the full route, much as I'd love to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Surface in the Gap is quite poor in places, best to go in the afternoon or early morning to avoid too many jarveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I was thinking of taking them on a short "ring" - not the full N70 / 71 / 72 route (various reasons we can't do the full ring).

I'm not from the area (obviously :eek: ) but was thinking of this route:

N71 to Molls Gap

turn off N71, onto R568 towards Black Valley,

through the Gap of Dunloe & back to Killarney via the N72

Are there any prohibitions on going this route - I take it the roads are public?

Could anyone give any recommendations?

thanks

Would cycling be an option?

One amazing route to cycle, although I've only done it in reverse to your route here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Was down in killarney recently and decided to go to the gap of dunloe as it has been years since i have been there, there is no denieing the beauty of the place but for god sake the smell and filt from the horses is discusting. I know getting a horse and trap is part of some people's experience but horse dropping are everywhere and the smell is well ,sickining, anybody else experience this? I do love this aarea of the country but is there more that can be done to clean up this, i just feel that people are been turned off this place by all this , im just going on what ive seen myself. Anyone any thoughts on this or am i over reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Was down in killarney recently and decided to go to the gap of dunloe as it has been years since i have been there, there is no denieing the beauty of the place but for god sake the smell and filt from the horses is discusting. I know getting a horse and trap is part of some people's experience but horse dropping are everywhere and the smell is well ,sickining, anybody else experience this? I do love this aarea of the country but is there more that can be done to clean up this, i just feel that people are been turned off this place by all this , im just going on what ive seen myself. Anyone any thoughts on this or am i over reacting.

They tried to bring in nappies a few years ago, don't you what happened with it.

Tbh, as someone who grew up in Killarney, you kind of get used to the droppings/smell. It's something I would barely even notice. But I do know people that visit Killarney get put off by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

They have nappies on the hirses in killarney national park but did not see any at the gap of dunloe, its ashame because i feel it is ruining tbis place which in turn will turn people of visiting. The amount of people i seen just get out of therecar, seen the mess they have yo walk tbrough and decided to turn back and drive off, i do hope they do something about this as it is a beuatiful part of the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement