Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doberman pups

• 23-01-2014 4:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get a Doberman pup in the next few weeks. I really want to get good dog and avoid the cruel puppy farm business
    Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Hey Courtesy.

on the IKC website they have one registered breeder for Doberman,

Dobermann Club of Ireland

Mrs E Drennan
    27 Watergate, Tallaght,Dublin 24
    Phone: 01-4524896

Just to note, this is not the only legitimate breeder there is, there are others, but I would tend to take a look at this breeder and look from there.

Champdogs.co.uk could be a good place to look.

But with any dog breeder, I would do some homework on them, try find out previous people who have taken pups. Also, very important to do your research on the breed as well to see what their specific needs are etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

You might also find that you will have to wait for a puupy from good reputable breeders rather than being able to get one in the 'next few weeks'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hi op, as has been said you will more than likely have to wait and be put on a list of people if you are going through any reputable breeder here in Ireland.

My brother was looking for a long time in Ireland for a male pup and was quoted fairly decent prices by Irish breeders. He eventually ended up deciding to buy from Europe with this guy http://www.dicamo-dogs.com/

It turned out that 2 from the same litter actually got sent to Ireland.

This is my brothers male dog who as far as I can remember is just under 11 months in the photo
    290345.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

He's lovely. But I can't take on the cropped ears and tail.

I'd love another Dobie now. But with a Shih Tzu, it could be an interesting combination!

• Advertisement

I'd love another Dobie now. But with a Shih Tzu, it could be an interesting combination!

Since you have to wait, I am sure if you request non cropping/docking, there would be no problem.

You will find it doesn't matter what size of dogs you get, they will get on if you introduce them right and treat them in the right manner (remember, jealousy can be an issue if not done right, because after all, one dog was there first)

Perhaps your Shih Tzu might be able to train the Dobie (if you get one) to be it's horse. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If I were to get another Dobie, I'd go home to the UK and get the dog there TBH. It's illegal to dock & crop there so no problem getting a dog with the lovely floppy ears and long tail.

Knowing my dog, he'd waste no time putting manners on the puppy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

You KNOW that if you did get a Dobie, the Shih Tzu would be the BOSS forever!

(Not to divert this thread, but just a query: I havent seen many Dobies with the cropped ears here - is it (hopefully) going out of 'fashion'??)

aonb wrote: »
    You KNOW that if you did get a Dobie, the Shih Tzu would be the BOSS forever!

(Not to divert this thread, but just a query: I havent seen many Dobies with the cropped ears here - is it (hopefully) going out of 'fashion'??)

I hope so, not many people know the reason for docking and cropping and just think that's how they should look, the more we educate people (even in the slightest) the more it will go out of fashion. One of the big things about getting my girls (outside of the paperwork) was undocked tails (cropped ears seems to be disappearing faster than docking)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

vets in ireland who ear crop run the risk of being struck off the register as its known as a cosmetic mutilation. Thankfully unlike docking its not an issue where the council will look the other way. in Europe its also considered a 'mutilation' and is against the codes of practice of a veterinary surgeon and those preforming these operations can face disciplinary action.

that dog is gorgeous but the crop was either preformed by a vet breaking the codes of practice or the owner of the pups chopped off half the ear themselves.
    I hope for the pups sake it was a vet as its quite a painful procedure and even post op the poor pups are out of sorts.it also requires very carefull bandaging I order to get the ears to stay straight and not crimple.its still done in America relatively commonly and thats where I seen it.it is not a procedure taught in the irish vet collage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Just to clarify, the ears were cropped and the dog was docked before it was transported to Ireland. He came here at 14wks old as far as I can remember.

My brother got the pup in from Europe, Serbia to be exact. The breeder is very reputable and I am sure(although can not 100% vouch for it) the ears were cropped and the tail was docked legally.

I think the brother of the dog in the picture was sent over with normal floppy ears.

I must add, I hate the cropped ears in the dobe's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Does it have to be a pup? I've just seen the most beautiful 2yr old female Dobe on a page that Boomerang posted in another thread. Owner has to rehome her due to emigration.

5t5j.png

What a stunner! PM me for the link as technically in this context it's linking to a rescue and not a business page like the other thread ;)

Advertisement