Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€200 per day Bank of Ireland cap on withdrawals from USA ATMS?

Options
  • 23-01-2014 4:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Can Bank of Ireland confirm?
    I used to be able to take out €500 per day in the USA.
    €200 is not enough. I spoke to a guy in card services and he told me that it is not possible to change this limit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Fuzzy,

Thank you for getting in contact with us on boards.ie

The representative you spoke to was correct. Due to increasing levels of ATM fraud we have reduced limits in place on our cards for use in certain countries.

Depending on the country the limit can be as low as E100. However some foreign banks also set their own withdrawal limit on their ATMs. We have no control over their limits.

These limits do not apply to making purchases with your card.

We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

€200 per day is an embarrassingly low limit for BOI to impose in the USA.
    In the USA, I don't like to use POS, for two reasons.
    1) The culture is for the waiter to take the card away from the table.
    2) They don't use chip and pin, just a swipe, no ID check, very insecure.

Lots of cash is also required because of the requirement to tip.
    The 5$ ATM withdrawal fee is hard to stomach every day for just €200. I could deal with 5$ if I was withdrawing €600 or so.

Could you please pass my feedback onto somebody who makes decisions?
    Alternatively, could you advise me, is there a solution to this?
    For example, does this limit apply to all BOI cards, or just visa debits?
    Or could you temporarily increase the limit?
    Previously BOI was able to set a date on the system and increase my daily limit for a specific country until that date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi FUZZY,

We will certainly pass on your feedback. There is no way of increasing these limits and we are not aware of any previous option to set dates on the system for particular countries. These lower limits have been in place for several years.

Thanks
    Tara

I'd have to strongly recommend anybody against becoming a Bank of Ireland customer.
    They are very bad at supporting customers who travel a lot or who spend a lot of time in other countries.
    Never been able to help me out with anything, there is no personal service, and the different departments seem so fragmented.

For example if you call customer care and need something done on a card, you can be laughed at, "ohh you need card services", vice versa if you call card services and need something that customer care do instead.

The customer support rep may not be aware that it used to be possible to have my limits increased, but it was! Before we were forced into using visa debit cards that is.

I've never owed BoI any money, I am a great customer, 20 years with this bank, but the last few years, the customer support has been non existent, this is the last in a long series of things this bank cannot do for me. 

€200 per day ATM limit in the USA is crazy low, and there is a way to increase it... Move to another bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

USA are only now, considering the move to chip & PIN due to the cost involved for retailers. They are having to now because Magnetic Stripe technology is to easy to copy.
    That is why your ATM limit is so low in the States.

And not owing money to a bank is not necessarily a good thing. Charging interest & late payment fees are a good percentage of there earnings i would guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Fuzzy[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the service Bank of Ireland is providing to you.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We do apologise the limit at the ATM cannot be adjusted has inconvenienced you. As mentioned, it is not possible to amend this.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If a customer has a banking query not related to the department you may be in contact with, the staff member will facilitate as much as possible or will place you in contact with the relevant department to assist you further.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you have any non-account specific queries you would assistance with, please feel free to ask us here. We are happy to help.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭sully123

Good Post,

Its a real problem when travelling.
    I Have experiences a limit under 100 euro in asia.

Can BOI tell me where i can see a list of withdrawal limits for different countries?

Again, well done OP. This charge is a real killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

sully123 wrote: »
    Good Post,

Its a real problem when travelling.
    I Have experiences a limit under 100 euro in asia.

Can BOI tell me where i can see a list of withdrawal limits for different countries?

Again, well done OP. This charge is a real killer.
    Hi sully123,

Thank you for contacting us on Boards.

The ATM limit is set at different amounts depending on the country you are travelling to and for security reasons, as mentioned above, it is not possible to increase these limits.

While we do not have a list online of the limits in specific countries, generally the limit in Western Europe can be €500, Asian countries can have a limit of €100, and banks abroad can also apply their own limits.
    If you have a specific country that you would like to know the limit for, please let us know and we will be happy to advise.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Biggies

I have to add my voice to the discontent here. I needed to pay someone $500 yesterday (Sunday) and I couldn't get the money.
    However, someone in the phone told me I can withdraw money without such limit in person in banks using my passport as ID. Can anyone in BOI confirm this, and do you have an associated bank or banks in the US where the transaction fee may be lower? Thanks.

Biggies wrote: »
    I have to add my voice to the discontent here. I needed to pay someone $500 yesterday (Sunday) and I couldn't get the money.
    However, someone in the phone told me I can withdraw money without such limit in person in banks using my passport as ID. Can anyone in BOI confirm this, and do you have an associated bank or banks in the US where the transaction fee may be lower? Thanks.
    I tried this back when I posted this thread. In bank of America, I couldn't go over €200 per day. The limit is set by BoI because they are getting screwed over by skimming gangs, hackers etc cashing out abroad. It's a security control implemented by BoI.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi Biggies,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards. 

The ATM withdrawal limit is set for security reasons and it would not be possible to increase this limit when abroad or to withdraw at an American bank with your passport and card. Please note that your card will still work at a point of sale after you reach this limit. 

Please let us know if you need help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Biggies

Hi Biggies,

The ATM withdrawal limit is set for security reasons and it would not be possible to increase this limit when abroad or to withdraw at an American bank with your passport and card. Please note that your card will still work at a point of sale after you reach this limit. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah,
    For your info, I was finally able to withdraw $600 from a Bank of America office, using my passport as ID and answering a couple of security questions.
    Would you be so kind to tell me what would be daily limit/transaction limit for Norway? I'm currently here and I tried to withdraw 5000NOK, but I was unable to do so. This would be about €550-600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Biggies,

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah,
    For your info, I was finally able to withdraw $600 from a Bank of America office, using my passport as ID and answering a couple of security questions.
    Would you be so kind to tell me what would be daily limit/transaction limit for Norway? I'm currently here and I tried to withdraw 5000NOK, but I was unable to do so. This would be about €550-600.
    Hi Biggies,

Thanks for your post.

The daily withdrawal limit for Norway is €500 for chipped ATM's and €250 for non-chipped ATM's.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jimbojimbo

Hi Biggies,

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah,
    Hi Biggies,

Thanks for your post.

The daily withdrawal limit for Norway is €500 for chipped ATM's and €250 for non-chipped ATM's.

Thanks

Billy
    Hello,

Can you tell me the transaction withdrawal limit, and daily withdrawal limit for using a BOI Visa debit card in an ATM in Indonesia.

Thanks,

Jimbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Jimbojimbo wrote: »
    Hi Biggies,

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah,
    Hi Biggies,

Thanks for your post.

Thanks

Billy
    Hello,

Can you tell me the transaction withdrawal limit, and daily withdrawal limit for using a BOI Visa debit card in an ATM in Indonesia.

Thanks,

Jimbo
    Hi Jimbo,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

The daily ATM limit in Indonesia is €100 per day, you can use your Visa debit card at the point of sale in addition to this and there is no daily limit on point of sale transactions.

To have a note added to your account to state you will use your Visa debit card whilst abroad please send travel notice in via the Online service desk on Banking 365.

Have a nice trip.

Thank you,

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Jersey OP, you'd swear it was your money or something!!

Very crude, blunt instrument to curb security problems IMHO, but then when BOI can charge 5e for every 200 withdrawn, why would they change it??

Advertisement