Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine oil

Options
  • 23-01-2014 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I want just to ask if anybody knows where can I find some good deals for Fuchs oil or something similar? Is any diference between long life and normal one? How many mile can you drive with long life one? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where are you located?
    What car is it for?

You can get oil in any motor factors or Halfords. Or if you're not in a rush wait for Lidl/Aldi to have a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Again it depends on the car you are using it on. What make and model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 McGreg

logik wrote: »
    Again it depends on the car you are using it on. What make and model is it?

Toyota avensis 2010 diesel, somebody was saying that u can get Fuchs 5 litres for 15 delivered. Any other good oils?

biko wrote: »
    Where are you located?
    What car is it for?

You can get oil in any motor factors or Halfords. Or if you're not in a rush wait for Lidl/Aldi to have a sale.

I aim in Dublin, 2010 avensis. Is it any real diference between long life oil and normal one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Don't mind that long life rubbish. Always change your oil at 10-12000kms in a diesel. If your on the northside artane auto centre are very helpful.

• Advertisement

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    Don't mind that long life rubbish. Always change your oil at 10-12000kms in a diesel. If your on the northside artane auto centre are very helpful.

Thanks. Been Toyota dealer and they service my car and the next service is in 20 thousand miles. Just wondering what kind of oil and filter they fitted.

My best guess would be 5w30 fully synthetic. I'm not sure what make though. What do you mean by what type of filter? If it was me I would service it more often. How long would it take you to clock up 20,000 miles?

My best guess would be 5w30 fully synthetic. I'm not sure what make though. What do you mean by what type of filter? If it was me I would service it more often. How long would it take you to clock up 20,000 miles?

Normally you should service the car every 6-7000 miles, new oil, filters. I have 49.000 now, next service is due at 69000. Do I need to trust them or not?

It would most likely be ok. But if it were me I would service it at 60,000 miles. Oil and filter change. Always keep your engine oil fresh. Oid engine oil damages oil seals and turbos. Would you cover 20,000 miles in a year?

It would most likely be ok. But if it were me I would service it at 60,000 miles. Oil and filter change. Always keep your engine oil fresh. Oid engine oil damages oil seals and turbos. Would you cover 20,000 miles in a year?

I do long drives around the country. Around 30-40000 a year

• Advertisement

With dat sort of mileage. I would do two oil and filter changes every year and 1 fuel filter. Did you get them to check you brake pads while you were getting it serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Are you sure its miles I thought it was due at 20,000 km/12,500 miles and it is 5w 30 fully synthetic is used, but I would not go for 15e gallon/ 5 litre oil though unless it's an imported brand you trust. my last oil service cost e7/litre out of barrel plus filter even though the old filter seemed perfect. I was instructed by toyota dealer to change filter at each oil change as new oil has more detergent and some believe it cleans any old sludge and old filter gets partially blocked as result!might be rubbish. don't know if semi-synthetic is acceptable in 2010 models or not. its ok in 05 models but oil change would be 15000 km/9,000 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

McGreg wrote: »
    Toyota avensis 2010 diesel, somebody was saying that u can get Fuchs 5 litres for 15 delivered. Any other good oils?

Fuchs is a top quality oil, up there with the likes of Castrol, Mobil etc.

You won't get a 5L can of any kind of Fuchs oil for €15.

Fuchs is a top quality oil, up there with the likes of Castrol, Mobil etc.

You won't get a 5L can of any kind of Fuchs oil for €15.

Thanks. Found a place in Figlas business park, 20l Fuchs oil 65€. I any interested I can give you more details.

With dat sort of mileage. I would do two oil and filter changes every year and 1 fuel filter. Did you get them to check you brake pads while you were getting it serviced?

I like to do work on the car and the brake pads I can change them myself. Thanks for opinion.

If you can do the brake pads u can do a service no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

McGreg wrote: »
    Thanks. Found a place in Figlas business park, 20l Fuchs oil 65€. I any interested I can give you more details.
    Hey McGreg, could you please post a link or PM me, cheers

MAJJ wrote: »
    Hey McGreg, could you please post a link or PM me, cheers

Thats no problems. http://www.nobbys.ie/. The are located beside Audi dealer in Finglas.

If you can do the brake pads u can do a service no bother.

I can, but the car is still under the warranty and thought not to affect it service the car by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Long life, normal, good brands etc are all pretty much irrelevant. Find out the recommended spec and that's the important thing. There are a few different spec 5W30s, just because you have the right viscosity doesn't mean you have the recommended oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

you are right to get car service (engine gearbox brake fluid) by main dealer to keep your warranty they carry out a health check as they call it, and record it on computer,whether or not its on dealer network record i dont know.when replacing brake pads etsc.try to get toyota parts as well.when d.i.y. in my case dealer replaced a turbo after 31/2 years and some clutch unit as well f.o.c., didn't even know fault existed in clutch until they told me

Advertisement