Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

quad_red wrote: »
    SIRO going in on a residential street in Tralee near the green.

A long line of trucks down the street.

Whats_App_Image_2016_08_18_at_15_01_11.jpg
    Fairly certain that's the ESB. TLI are doing the Siro works and their nearing completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Fairly certain that's the ESB. TLI are doing the Siro works and their nearing completion.

All the trucks had ESB logos on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

quad_red wrote: »
    All the trucks had ESB logos on them.

What I'm saying is ESB are not doing the broadband. TLI are.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Paddy_B wrote: »
    Recently got SIRO and I'm curious as to why Speed Test thinks my ISP is: Department for Work and Pensions?

The Department of Work and Pensions is a UK government agency. So therefore you may have been assigned an UK IP address. Check the BBC iPlayer to see if you can access it. If you can it may open up other UK sites not accessable from an Irish IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

cunnijo wrote: »
    The Department of Work and Pensions is a UK government agency. So therefore you may have been assigned an UK IP address. Check the BBC iPlayer to see if you can access it. If you can it may open up other UK sites not accessable from an Irish IP address.

I've actually already tried iPlayer without thinking about this but it still says I'm outside the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The IP has been switched from Department of Work and Pensions to SIRO the details just haven't fully propagated yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

SIRO are a wholesale network so wouldn't be assigning any IP addresses. It would be Vodafone that assign the IP to you, it has probably just not been updated yet as to who that range belongs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Paddy_B wrote: »
    Recently got SIRO and I'm curious as to why Speed Test thinks my ISP is: Department for Work and Pensions?

Any chance it starts with 51. ?
    There was a thread in the Vodafone forum a while ago querying a different ip range and the rep confirmed they have acquired new ip blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fr0zen

My IP is also showing a UK address

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

fr0zen wrote: »
    My IP is also showing a UK address

Is it in the range 51.37.0.0/16 ? That's from the old DWP /8.

The RIPE NCC database has been updated for that to show who has the right to use the addresses now.

Vodafone will be at the mercy of all the independent geolocation IP address databases to update their records to reflect what is in the authoritative RIPE NCC database.

<soapbox> This is a symptom of the increasing stress the Internet is under from the shortage of public IPv4 addresses</soapbox>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When Virgin brought in blocks from Austria/Belgium it was nearly two months until Maxmind and the rest of the Geos caught up. There's no technical reason why they couldn't update on a shorter period but as of yet they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

KN have arrived at my estate, for SIRO, testing the ducts.

I have a few questions:

(1) They are testing whether the existing electricity ducts can take a fibre cable - is that correct?

(2) I am curious as to where/how the outbound connection is made?? Or does the fibre cable follow the elec ducting back into the town?

(3) If the tests are okay, KN said that cablers would arrive in a few weeks to install the fibre cable. Okay, my question is about the section from the path to the external wall of any house, maybe 5m-10m. Does the fibre follow the line of the elec cable to the meter box?

(4) I guess that many people would not want the fibre lime to finish at the meter box, in my estate the front facade would probably be better.

Will Siro dig/run the fibre to a different point on the external wall of house?

(5) My estate already has UPC cable suspended from soffat/fascia. I worry about a waste of capital spending, ending up with three networks = eircom / UPC / Siro.

Thanks.

1. Checking they haven't been obstructed/collapsed.
    2. It'll go as far as a GPON cabinet they fit (IIRC white, taller than OpenEirs), possibly near a local 10Kv sub.
    3. Discussed before, short ans is duct is clear it'll go straight up to hallway, if not other arrangements might be made
    4. They'll need to fit the optical termination near the external box, so you won't get them going miles from there.
    5. Its a good thing, it means you have real competition not pseudo competition that we mostly have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SmallBalls wrote: »

Are they really calling it electric broadband? Terrible name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

They start in October, but you can pre-order it.

How do people find digiweb for their other products?

Also, how's their modem, is unlimited with them really unlimited, parental controls/fsecure easy to not use?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

/\/ollog wrote: »

Also, how's their modem, is unlimited with them really unlimited, parental controls/fsecure easy to not use?
    Fritz!Box WiFi Modem and Home Media Hub
    Should be a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi Vollog

I am a Digiweb customer for about 10 years now here in Naas. I have their Metro fixed wireless package. Overall I have found the service to be fairly reliable and usually if there were issues they would be resolved fairly quickly. I have registered for their SIRO offering, but seems it will be quite some time before Naas gets it (if it does at all even though Naas is one of the first 50 towns listed in SIRO's rollout)

Their modem is the Fritzbox and by all accounts is a very good modem.

As for their unlimited usage policy. In the terms and conditions it refers to a fair usage allowance of 350GB both on their Metro and Fibre offerings. So check the new service terms before signing. Unlimited is not as it says if their current terms are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Castlebar has been listed there for nearly 2 years and still no sign of any action around the place. Can anyone else confirm when it might be

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Castlebar has been listed there for nearly 2 years and still no sign of any action around the place. Can anyone else confirm when it might be

I doubt anyone knows. They have had at least 10 other towns listed for over 2 years now and most aren't started. Siro's progress is slow to put it mildly!

• Advertisement

I was talking to a guy on digiweb's chat earlier, they're emailing me about the fair usage policy/"unlimited".

The 10 phone is VoIP add-on, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

False advertisement yet again. Firs Vodafone, and now Digiweb.

szT3ww5.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    szT3ww5.png

Nonsense. GPON is usually a shared medium depending on the split ratio used. Why can't ISPs be honest in their advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FALC0NR15

I'm not sure if you've noticed but recently new poles have been erected to replace the wooden poles. The work was done by P&D Lydon and I know they do contract work for the ESB.

I presume it was done in anticipation for SIRO because I was told by a local businessman that they anticipated to get started in the summer

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    szT3ww5.png

Nonsense. GPON is usually a shared medium depending on the split ratio used. Why can't ISPs be honest in their advertising?
    They don't understand it probably.

They're just re-sellers they probably have no clue about computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

FALC0NR15 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you've noticed but recently new poles have been erected to replace the wooden poles. The work was done by P&D Lydon and I know they do contract work for the ESB.

I presume it was done in anticipation for SIRO because I was told by a local businessman that they anticipated to get started in the summer

The same happened here but the new poles were just left there.

They don't understand it probably.

They're just re-sellers they probably have no clue about computer.

I think you are being kind to them. I believe it is yet another blatant lie told to consumers by this industry. The so called "Unlimited" plan is another example.

Think I'll write to the ASA and maybe Joe Duffy over this. Its one thing for the door to door lads to spout lies but for official PR/their websites to tell blatant untruths is pushing it.

BTW I've heard tales of Digiweb messing around enterprise customers and having a very understaffed/unresponsive service desk that'd seriously put me off using them. Really no need to when Vodafone offer Siro and Eir will be selling OpenEir FTTH (Presumably with others).

ED E wrote: »
    Think I'll write to the ASA and maybe Joe Duffy over this. Its one thing for the door to door lads to spout lies but for official PR/their websites to tell blatant untruths is pushing it.

BTW I've heard tales of Digiweb messing around enterprise customers and having a very understaffed/unresponsive service desk that'd seriously put me off using them. Really no need to when Vodafone offer Siro and Eir will be selling OpenEir FTTH (Presumably with others).

If you have social media accounts you could try embarrassing them publicly about it. Companies seem to be terrified about bad PR on Twitter and Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

noticed a green sticker on my esb box right outside my house, pretty sure it wasnt there before. might be to do with siro? can anyone confirm?

Advertisement