Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 n00bizme

The SIRO teams are out in full force in my estate in Drogheda; some contractor named "Obelisk" is doing the digging work on their behalf. Can't post any images due to account restrictions, but they seem to be digging up outside houses with the small ESB boxes on the sidewalk, and running ducting and cable through the space I'm assuming is available to the ESB boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Digiweb called me back.

350 GB fair usage Lmao.
    They say siro haven't really given them much detail (Surprise surprise) so it will probably change.
    You get throttled for going over.
    The lady gave me 1TB as an example of super-duper high usage, to which I replied with a smile.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Digiweb called me back.

350 GB fair usage Lmao.
    They say siro haven't really given them much detail (Surprise surprise) so it will probably change.
    You get throttled for going over.
    The lady gave me 1TB as an example of super-duper high usage, to which I replied with a smile.

that has to be wrong! that's even worse than Imagine LTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gonzo wrote: »
    that has to be wrong!

Not if they actually go as far as a 32 split...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

350GB is Digiweb's standard FUP for VDSL and Metro.

I had Metro a few years back and their FUP was 100GB at the time. When you hit 80% you got an email, when you hit 120% they throttled you to 128Kb/s until you got back down under the cap. 128Kb/s was a lot back in the days of ISDN, these days it is literally unusable, you can't even browse the web.

A sticky with the FUPs of all the various broadband providers would be useful - Eir's FTTH is 1TB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

ED E wrote: »
    Not if they actually go as far as a 32 split...

1:32 is actually quite good for GPON, in reality though with take up it will be much lower, probably like 1:20 in a really really well taken up area. Other European countries do up to 1:128. I'm sure there are plenty of customer for Eir and SIRO that have a splitter to themselves!!

1TB could be downloaded in 2-3hours at 1Gb/s so the cap would have nothing to do with a split ratio of 1:32. it would be more to do with Digiwebs own peering and backhaul

digiman wrote: »
    1TB could be downloaded in 2-3hours at 1Gb/s so the cap would have nothing to do with a split ratio of 1:32. it would be more to do with Digiwebs own peering and backhaul

Well like any shared medium you have caps to curb usage to maintain speeds. Even at 20x350Mb you've committed 7Gb where you have 2.3-2.4Gb to go around. Give everyone a few TB to burn and 6-9PM your service desk will be bombarded with "Why am I not getting what I'm paying for?".

loyatemu wrote: »

A sticky with the FUPs of all the various broadband providers would be useful - Eir's FTTH is 1TB.

Siro Vodafone's is 1TB too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Do Eir enforce the 1TB cap with FTTH? Not sure ive heard of them throttling or writing letters to anyone?

ED E wrote: »
    Well like any shared medium you have caps to curb usage to maintain speeds. Even at 20x350Mb you've committed 7Gb where you have 2.3-2.4Gb to go around. Give everyone a few TB to burn and 6-9PM your service desk will be bombarded with "Why am I not getting what I'm paying for?".

This is a ridiculous response though, for anyone who is involved in designing and operating networks will know that this doesn't actually happen. 20 people using 2.4Gb/s means a sustained average speed of 120Mb/s.

This just doesn't happen in reality, there isn't any driver out there for anyone to download at that speed for sustained periods of time.
    Secondly not everybody will be using network at the same time.
    Thirdly it's probably less than 5% of users who would go over a 350GB cap and less than 1% who would go over 1TB and those that do exceed 1TB are generally participating in something illegal.
    Finally if a GPON port ever became congested QoS would sort it out and drop Internet traffic before voice and TV which are the only thing people will really notice the affect of congestion.

• Advertisement

It's probably less than 5% of users who would go over a 350GB cap and less than 1% who would go over 1TB and those that do exceed 1TB are generally participating in something illegal.
    Finally if a GPON port ever became congested QoS would sort it out and drop Internet traffic before voice and TV which are the only thing people will really notice the affect of congestion.
    I dunno... kids like youtube and twitch these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Gonzo wrote: »
    Do Eir enforce the 1TB cap with FTTH? Not sure ive heard of them throttling or writing letters to anyone?

they don't throttle, they charge you for the excess! I know of one person locally who has received a whopping bill from them as a result.

Contention is a funny thing, for every user who is constantly using their full bandwidth there will probably be 10 who are barely ticking over - the ISPs rely on this when dimensioning their networks. Very difficult to download even 100Mb/s consistently in a domestic situation - obviously if you add in businesses, schools etc usage will go up, but they tend to use the internet at different times of the day.

Virgin have no cap, and also don't seem to have any major problems with contention.

im surprised that Eir's 1,000meg FTTH is only 1TB per month, my ADSL line has the same fair usage policy!

Obviously with the connection I have, I don't even get close to that 1TB per month but with 1000meg FTTH I'd imagine it wouldn't take much to go over some months.

Do Eir charge as soon as you go over the 1TB or do they only charge if your abusing it every single month and well over the limit?

edit: I went to Eir's page and couldn't find anything relating to a fair usage policy and possible charges so it must be really hidden.

eir Fibre Extreme broadband

Extreme fibre broadband delivers speeds up to 1,000Mb, that’s almost 10 times faster than our fibre broadband, and over 40 times faster than standard broadband with absolutely no usage limits.
    - See more at: https://www.eir.ie/extreme/#faqs

This is a ridiculous response though, for anyone who is involved in designing and operating networks will know that this doesn't actually happen. 20 people using 2.4Gb/s means a sustained average speed of 120Mb/s.

This just doesn't happen in reality, there isn't any driver out there for anyone to download at that speed for sustained periods of time.
    Secondly not everybody will be using network at the same time.
    Thirdly it's probably less than 5% of users who would go over a 350GB cap and less than 1% who would go over 1TB and those that do exceed 1TB are generally participating in something illegal.

I'm not suggesting that you'd ever see 100% user load, its just to illustrate the point. We dont know their profiles yet but OpenEir (IIRC) are 350, 500, 1Tb. 20x1Tb is a pretty significant committed:available ratio.

My concern is long term, the split ratio will practically never change and we probably won't see 10GPON cards until 2028 or later I'd hazard.

My point is that CAPs are not there due to the congestion in the access part of the network, it's point is to reduce congestion in the backhaul and peering.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

n00bizme wrote: »
    The SIRO teams are out in full force in my estate in Drogheda; some contractor named "Obelisk" is doing the digging work on their behalf. Can't post any images due to account restrictions, but they seem to be digging up outside houses with the small ESB boxes on the sidewalk, and running ducting and cable through the space I'm assuming is available to the ESB boxes.

Which estate or just general area. Have not seen anyone around here yet on the outskirts of town (doubt they will dig here as usual, but you never know).

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

seen siro vans in drogheda today and last week up by the tesco extra with unmarked vans pulling fiber, am yet to see them on my side the town tho :(

SnipSnop wrote: »
    Which estate or just general area. Have not seen anyone around here yet on the outskirts of town (doubt they will dig here as usual, but you never know).

Cedarfield, down southwest of the town of Drogheda itself. Since it's a licensed agreement with the ESB to help with rolling things out, there might not be digging involved to get it out to the sticks/semi-sticks; they can use electricity poles and lay the cable over those, at least in theory. Haven't seen any of that though, only white vans with big spools of bright orange cable, and a thinner yellow one. You'll know the rollout is nearly ready when you see the sales reps out anyway, they're hard to miss.

SnipSnop wrote: »

are you sure thats not the crew installing cable and ducting for virgin media, they have done rathmullen, finnians park, marleys court and a few others up that end of the town. they are digging up paths

with siro there shouldnt be much digging done as they have existing esb ducts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

dazdrog wrote: »
    are you sure thats not the crew installing cable and ducting for virgin media, they have done rathmullen, finnians park, marleys court and a few others up that end of the town. they are digging up paths

VM seem to be really stepping up their coverage, nice to see it.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    VM seem to be really stepping up their coverage, nice to see it.

yeah just a shame they are yet to skip upto the north side the town :( can live in hope tho, i know of estates like ashfield that have been ready for cable since the estate was built, all catv manholes and ducts thru out the estate.... but still no sign or virgin

yeah just a shame they are yet to skip upto the north side the town :( can live in hope tho, i know of estates like ashfield that have been ready for cable since the estate was built, all catv manholes and ducts thru out the estate.... but still no sign or virgin

Same here, the east side of town hasn't been touched at all.

100% sure it's SIRO, I walked past several of the lads installing it and they had "working on behalf of SIRO" on their hi-viz stuff, that and the odd SIRO brand van would be near em. I've seen VM installers too, but that's KN services that's doing the subcontractor work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Saw a SIRO van driving through Lusk today...

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Got a note through our letterbox yesterday about power being off on Sunday morning due to the fibre cable install taking place in our area (Wexford town, Mercy school area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 aiden007

I am in country and there is no fibre to my door .
    I had man from eircom come to my door and tell me i have access to 1000mb speed?? They told me it is in my electric, I just need adapter to decode, fibre In towns and through powerlines in country. Money saving, sounds like bpl to me that was abandoned because of severe interfence and health hazards related to radiation coming of powerlines.we want fast broadband without the serious health implications.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

aiden007 wrote: »
    I am in country and there is no fibre to my door .
    I had man from eircom come to my door and tell me i have access to 1000mb speed?? They told me it is in my electric, I just need adapter to decode, fibre In towns and through powerlines in country. Money saving, sounds like bpl to me that was abandoned because of severe interfence and health hazards related to radiation coming of powerlines.we want fast broadband without the serious health implications.

Will you please stop with the FUD about health implications?

(a) Nobody is using BPL.

(b) Even if they were, there are no health implications.

Just stop it.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Will you please stop with the FUD about health implications?

(a) Nobody is using BPL.

(b) Even if they were, there are no health implications.

Just stop it.

What's BPL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

jca wrote: »
    What's BPL?

Broadband over Power Lines.

• Advertisement

Broadband over Power Lines.

Thanks, that was a flop, they tried it in a few places.

Advertisement