Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

jca wrote: »
    Thanks, that was a flop, they tried it in a few places.

Yeah, poor Aiden still needs some convincing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I got the 150MB Siro package installed in Tralee today.

Only problem is the speeds at the moment. I'm only getting 60MB with Siro while the previous fibre broadband that I had was 50MB.

Is this normal? Should I be ringing Vodafone or should I leave it alone for a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Yeah, poor Aiden still needs some convincing though.

Maybe there is not enough fluoride in his water..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

unkymo wrote: »

Only problem is the speeds at the moment. I'm only getting 60MB with Siro while the previous fibre broadband that I had was 50MB.

Is this normal? Should I be ringing Vodafone or should I leave it alone for a few days?

Leave it for a few days. It will settle down after 5/7 days in most cases.

unkymo wrote:

Are you using WiFi?
    If ethernet have you got 1G nic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Leave it for a few days. It will settle down after 5/7 days in most cases.

What do you think is going to settle down? If he's not getting speeds on a brand new rolled out network today then it ain't going to improve tomorrow!! This idea of things settling down ha nothing to do with fibre networks.

I would almost bet my house he is testing over wifi with a device that has a poor wifi card. You need to connect into your router with an Ethernet cable and ensure your laptop/desktop has a 1Gb network card and then you will get the advertised speeds. If you don't then give Vodafone a call as the problem is most likely with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Settling down idea has probably leaked from the BT/Sky CSRs that do UK duty too where DLM is in use. Only other reason to say it is to fob off somebody they dont want to deal with.

I connected to the router with an Ethernet cable to a laptop and got 60 MBs. I checked it on WiFi with the same laptop, a tablet and my phone and got nearly the same results on them.

I'm not sure what network cards are but the laptop itself is a few years old so that might be the problem.

I'm going to leave it alone for a few days and see if the speeds improve and if they don't I'll give Vodafone a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

digiman wrote: »
    What do you think is going to settle down? If he's not getting speeds on a brand new rolled out network today then it ain't going to improve tomorrow!! This idea of things settling down ha nothing to do with fibre networks.

I would almost bet my house he is testing over wifi with a device that has a poor wifi card. You need to connect into your router with an Ethernet cable and ensure your laptop/desktop has a 1Gb network card and then you will get the advertised speeds. If you don't then give Vodafone a call as the problem is most likely with them.

Thats what Eir(com) advised me when I got their efibre a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Thats what Eir(com) advised me when I got their efibre a couple of years ago.

While you're probably right and the users line needs time to magic, it's completely different technology to what eircom advertised as fibre a few years ago.

• Advertisement

I connected to the router with an Ethernet cable to a laptop and got 60 MBs. I checked it on WiFi with the same laptop, a tablet and my phone and got nearly the same results on them.

I'm not sure what network cards are but the laptop itself is a few years old so that might be the problem.

I'm going to leave it alone for a few days and see if the speeds improve and if they don't I'll give Vodafone a call.

Did they not validate it before leaving?

This could be an effect of the gulf between access and core that's been reported by another poster with inside knowledge.

Just by chance I saw the installers van pass my house earlier, they're installing in a house around the corner from me so I went over and had a quick chat with them.

I told him about the speeds being slow and he said it's more than likely that the problem is with my devices I use. He said that they did a speed test yesterday which had a result of 155MBs. He said the network card in the computer that they used cost 400 Euro!

I'm still only getting 60MB download and 30MB upload on my devices but they're a few years old. My mother has a new laptop which I'll get off her in a few days time and I'll see what results I get off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just by chance I saw the installers van pass my house earlier, they're installing in a house around the corner from me so I went over and had a quick chat with them.

I told him about the speeds being slow and he said it's more than likely that the problem is with my devices I use. He said that they did a speed test yesterday which had a result of 155MBs. He said the network card in the computer that they used cost 400 Euro!

I'm still only getting 60MB download and 30MB upload on my devices but they're a few years old. My mother has a new laptop which I'll get off her in a few days time and I'll see what results I get off that.

I'm guessing the card they are using with the computer (the installers mobile device) is prob part of a OTDR unit

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

How does the Siro fibre line actually enter the home? Is it via the phone line coming into the house, or does it come through your fusebox, or does Digiweb or Vodafone send someone out to drill a hole through your wall? Trying to find an answer to this, no luck so far.

redt0m wrote: »
    How does the Siro fibre line actually enter the home? Is it via the phone line coming into the house, or does it come through your fusebox, or does Digiweb or Vodafone send someone out to drill a hole through your wall? Trying to find an answer to this, no luck so far.

Long thread, but answered many times before. We should have the OP edited.

Its FTTH, fibre all the way, running parallel to your mains.
    TheBully wrote: »
    If your house is relatively new and you are fed from a mini pillar your fibre optic cable will be ducted as far as your meter cabinet door, from there it will be fed to a small box on your outside wall and your connections will be made into that.

If you are an older one off house with an ESB aerial attached, it won't be ducted to you but will more than likely be wrapped around this bundled wire if possible or a new aerial will be ran for your fibre.

If you are in terraced housing it will be ran along the facia of the houses and each house will have a tap off it.

As above the point where it goes through your wall varies depending on area/house but where there is no existing duct that is safe to use they'll be drilling a new one.

redt0m wrote: »

Usually but not always they drill into your meter cabinet and run a wire beside it to a new box then drill a hole into your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In many places in Sligo town I have noticed the following:
    • small area of pavement dug up around many elec mini-pillars
    • new orange tube left coming out of ground beside mini-pillar, with what I guess is fibre inside
    • new metal racks attached to elec poles, with spools of cable left wrapped around these racks - I presume this is fibre left to drop over to external walls
    • new wires strung between elec poles, maybe 50cm below the existing wiring

[I must have OCD]

Yet not much talk around the town about Siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

My estate in Drogheda is currently being SIRO enabled.....a lot of work and digging going on. After they leave, how long will it take for the product to be available? Weeks or months? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Friend has had over 4 visits, maybe up to 8 can't remember actual number from Siro and still not connected fibre lying on top of hedge, someone else on same pole had visit that never happened according to Siro no install yet.Stated couldn't get access to house even though son had them let them in to see what was needed. Both rural installs around dundalk area first install going on at least a month.

I took a picture of the new manhole covers appearing around, and a pole with the fibre looped around it.

http://imgur.com/a/MvAwn

• Advertisement

All good in Tralee now! Tested on my PS4 with a wired connection.

Speedtest.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

gebbel wrote: »
    My estate in Drogheda is currently being SIRO enabled.....a lot of work and digging going on. After they leave, how long will it take for the product to be available? Weeks or months? Cheers

After all work has stopped I'd expect a delay of about 2 months before you can order. That's what it was for me. Think they have to wait 30 days from it's ready like eir before taking orders so all resellers get an opportunity to do their marketing.
    For me siro website still said it was unavailable for my address, but when I rang Vodafone they said I could get it and installed the following morning.

Mgit wrote: »
    After all work has stopped I'd expect a delay of about 2 months before you can order. That's what it was for me. Think they have to wait 30 days from it's ready like eir before taking orders so all resellers get an opportunity to do their marketing.
    For me siro website still said it was unavailable for my address, but when I rang Vodafone they said I could get it and installed the following morning.

The 30day wait is for the USO only, doesn't apply to SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I took a picture of the new manhole covers appearing around, and a pole with the fibre looped around it.

http://imgur.com/a/MvAwn
    Looks a hell of a lot neater than what Eir are doing with their fibre tails..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

ED E wrote: »
    The 30day wait is for the USO only, doesn't apply to SIRO.
    Ed, Will Eir have to wait for 30 days re their fibre as there is no USO on that yet..?

Mgit wrote: »
    when I rang Vodafone they said I could get it and installed the following morning.

when I rang vodafone all I got was "I know absolutely nothing about siro"

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Ed, Will Eir have to wait for 30 days re their fibre as there is no USO on that yet..?

It depends if it counts as a RAP or not. I'm unclear as to whether being USO makes everything regulated or just those which are based on the POTS network.

The Cush might be the one to clarify there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ED E wrote: »
    It depends if it counts as a RAP or not. I'm unclear as to whether being USO makes everything regulated or just those which are based on the POTS network.

The Cush might be the one to clarify there.

Can't say for sure but this is my thinking, NGA is a wholesale RAP, FTTC and FTTH are NGA therefore FTTH is a wholesale RAP.

The Cush wrote:
    Can't say for sure but this is my thinking, NGA is a wholesale RAP, FTTC and FTTH are NGA therefore FTTH is a wholesale RAP.

They give 28 days notice of ftth launch, going by their map

• Advertisement

Its part of the RAP roadmap so safe to say it is:
    www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2995

Now, back to SIRO!

Advertisement