Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

I Spotted Gaeltec in Skibbereen for the last few days, even on my estate. Anyone can tell how long will take the process before i actually can order it?
    I cant wait... tired of few MB ADSL2+...

Edit:

People from Skibbereen town good news.

Gaeltec wiring my estate right now , i talked to them and your man said it should be ready for order in 1 month. Can't believe it's happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Anyone here with Vodafone on the SIRO line, how does their router connect to the new mastersocket, is it a standard phone cable or LAN network cable? I'm getting two versions from VF tech support.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Anyone here with Vodafone on the SIRO line, how does their router connect to the new mastersocket, is it a standard phone cable or LAN network cable? I'm getting two versions from VF tech support.

It should be a LAN cable. It's not a master socket; it's an ONT.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It should be a LAN cable. It's not a master socket; it's an ONT.
    So I need to get myself 8 - 10 meters of LAN cable or will the engineers supply that? You'd think Vodafone should know what is what :rolleyes:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So I need to get myself 8 - 10 meters of LAN cable or will the engineers supply that?

That I can't answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So I need to get myself 8 - 10 meters of LAN cable or will the engineers supply that? You'd think Vodafone should know what is what :rolleyes:

They've a few hundred thousand DSL subs and maybe 1-2000 GPON subs. Their support won't be very familiar yet.

The norm is for them to place the ONT and modem together, if you want it elsewhere they may oblige if they're nice but I wouldnt expect them to go tacking it neatly all the way along. Best to get a sparky or just buy a length and a crimp tool.

If you're going to go "Lightspeed" you may as well get the whole home wired up.

ED E wrote: »
    if you want it elsewhere they may oblige if they're nice but I wouldnt expect them to go tacking it neatly all the way along.
    They did all that when I got the fibre in :) hopefully they will do the same.

Your right too about getting the whole home wired up lol, pretty much a useless speed coming in when majority of WiFi devices can't receive more than 70MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

urgash wrote: »

Gaeltec wiring my estate right now , i talked to them and your man said it should be ready for order in 1 month. Can't believe it's happening!

Well there's something learned today! All this time I thought those Gaeltec vans were some Irish language crowd :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

rob808 wrote: »

thats the same thing we been hearing about since launch. still waiting on castlebar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ratheniska, Co. Laois. Is that their first foray into rural fibre services?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

rob808 wrote: »
    irishgeo wrote: »
    thats the same thing we been hearing about since launch. still waiting on castlebar

I don't see many people claiming to be connected in those '50 towns' that have Siro, and also note that the list+6 includes towns which are already fibre enabled by competitors of Siro.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't see many people claiming to be connected in those '50 towns' that have Siro, and also note that the list+6 includes towns which are already fibre enabled by competitors of Siro.

only 6 or 7 of those towns are live, the other 43/44 towns are still in the planning/development stage.

in towns that are currently live, is there much of these towns covered or is it limited to a few housing estates?

Gonzo wrote: »
    only 6 or 7 of those towns are live, the other 43/44 towns are still in the planning/development stage.

in towns that are currently live, is there much of these towns covered or is it limited to a few housing estates?

Yep, but that article tries to give a different impression
    SIRO is Ireland's first 100pc fibre-optic broadband network and is in 50 towns nationwide so far.

Apparently Siro 'being in' a town is meaningless for end users! :(

I have read of very few actual connections to Siro so on that basis it would seem they have very few (percentage rate) connected.

So you reckon that even if Siro is working on my estate for the last few days, doesn't mean i'll be able to get it by the end of 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Gonzo wrote: »

in letterkenny at leaSt it seems the housing estate outside the urban area are connected and that's it. I'm living right in the center and have been asking for months about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

irishtimes.com
    Broadband provider Siro to invest €40m in Irish towns

Siro, the open-access broadband provider, has announced that it will invest €40 million to expand its rollout to its next six locations in the Republic.

The company is planning to deliver a 100 per cent fibre-optic broadband network to 50 towns nationwide.

The six locations to benefit from the investment will be Mullingar, Newbridge, Ennis, Portlaoise, Drogheda and Carlow.

Services will be live or construction work will be under way in 17 towns across the State by the end of the year.

The towns are Dundalk, Cavan, Carrigaline, Sligo, Letterkenny, Tralee, Wexford, Drogheda, Westport, Castlebar, Mullingar, Newbridge, Ennis, Ratheniska, Carlow and Skibbereen.

In Skibbereen last month, the Ludgate Hub – powered by Siro one-gigabit connectivity – was launched. It aims to create 500 jobs in five years in the west Cork region and provide a multimillion-euro boost to the local economy.
    ‘Fantastic response’

Speaking at the National Ploughing Championships, Siro chief executive Seán Atkinson said the service would be important to those based in rural Ireland.

“Since we started construction in August last year, we have received a fantastic response in our rollout towns,” he said. “We are delighted to add six new fibrehoods to our network build. We are now passing 10,000 premises per month and working in 17 towns.

“Siro gives consumers and businesses in regional Ireland access to far better services than that available in Dublin and other cities, thus reversing the digital divide and allowing them to compete more effectively for investment and jobs.

“It is our ambition to become Ireland’s new national telecomms infrastructure. We have plans for a second phase which covers over 300 smaller towns and we are shortlisted for the Government’s National Broadband Plan, which aims to deliver high-speed access to all citizens by 2020.

“We believe that fibre-to-the-building is the only solution capable of future-proofing Ireland’s needs.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Passing 10,000 per month is news to me.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Passing 10,000 per month is news to me.

might be passing by but no connection :D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    in letterkenny at leaSt it seems the housing estate outside the urban area are connected and that's it. I'm living right in the center and have been asking for months about it.

that sounds similar to Balbriggan I think it is, I remember some months ago here posters from Balbriggan said Eir had 1000meg Fiber broadband available posters all over town but nowhere could get it except for one estate which was outside the main town area.

• Advertisement

irishtimes.com
    Broadband provider Siro to invest €40m in Irish towns

The company is planning to deliver a 100 per cent fibre-optic broadband network to 50 towns nationwide.

Services will be live or construction work will be under way in 17 towns across the State by the end of the year.

The towns are Dundalk, Cavan, Carrigaline, Sligo, Letterkenny, Tralee, Wexford, Drogheda, Westport, Castlebar, Mullingar, Newbridge, Ennis, Ratheniska, Carlow and Skibbereen.

Speaking at the National Ploughing Championships, Siro chief executive Seán Atkinson said the service would be important to those based in rural Ireland.

“Since we started construction in August last year, we have received a fantastic response in our rollout towns,” he said. “We are delighted to add six new fibrehoods to our network build. We are now passing 10,000 premises per month and working in 17 towns.

“Siro gives consumers and businesses in regional Ireland access to far better services than that available in Dublin and other cities, thus reversing the digital divide and allowing them to compete more effectively for investment and jobs.

“It is our ambition to become Ireland’s new national telecomms infrastructure. We have plans for a second phase which covers over 300 smaller towns and we are shortlisted for the Government’s National Broadband Plan, which aims to deliver high-speed access to all citizens by 2020.

“We believe that fibre-to-the-building is the only solution capable of future-proofing Ireland’s needs.”

I think this article is a bit confusing, they keep mentioning towns over and over. Towns are urban areas even if they are situated along way from Dublin or any other city. Yet they mention how important their service is to rural Ireland and that they are focused on fixing the digital divide in this country.

They are not working in any rural area, they are providing to towns that already either have Eir FTTC or Eir FTTH, some have UPC and some have all of those 3 already. Even their phase 2 of 300 smaller towns, they will still be building in urban areas. Ive yet to find evidence of these guys working their way into the countryside like Eir is currently trying to do. No digital divide is being fixed by this guys. It's great that they are providing an alternative in towns but stop marketing it as rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MackMack

Easy to figure out that someone in Siro is bad with numbers, that list only has 16 towns :rolleyes:

Gonzo, in the case of broadband

rural == ABD (anywhere but Dublin) :D:D
    It's great that they are providing an alternative in towns but stop marketing it as rural.

North Dublin is rural. Most of Wicklow is rural. When it comes to broadband if you cant throw a stone and hit a shop or post office, you're rural.

Siro will only go rural if they win part of the NBP. All their plans right now are focused on towns, mainly housing estates and other dense areas of housing. They are going nowhere near Eir's blue lines for now.

right now there are only 2 companies who are working in rural areas and they are Imagine with their LTE wireless broadband and Eir with their blue lines FTTH project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Siro CEO was interviewed on Newstalk Breakfast Business this morning. He was questioned on take up but refused to answer saying that they were "where they needed to be" in line with European norms for take-up. He also stated that they would be announcing their third retail partner in October. Any guesses?

Vincent Wall also put the point to him that the IFA coming out in support of Openeir's NBP plan could be a significant blow to Siro, particularly when Siro has a history of working with farming organisations.

Any guesses?

Sky probably, though they normally dont like install fees so depends on the pricing structure.

Hope it's gonna be Magnet, so i don't have to change provider :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Any guesses?
    Imagine...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

particularly when Siro has a history of working with farming organisations.
    Sorry... what? How old is Siro...? A couple of years? He has got to be joking....

Advertisement