Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

All imagine broadband users were bought by Magnet not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

urgash wrote: »
    All imagine broadband users were bought by Magnet not so long ago.
    yes but I would still say if magnet ahem imagine can sell siro connections I would think it would still be imagine as the company title...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was thinking Imagine as well, especially that they lost the NBP and this is their foot in the door to FTTH to keep new customers long term, their LTE wireless product will be dead in the water as soon as FTTH goes live in areas and customers will be leaving them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Sorry... what? How old is Siro...? A couple of years? He has got to be joking....

In fairness to the CEO he did not mention anything about a history. It was my point in relation to the fact that they chose Ratheniska, Co Laois, which hosted the Ploughing Championship last year, as the location for their rural pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Gonzo wrote: »
    I was thinking Imagine as well, especially that they lost the NBP and this is their foot in the door to FTTH to keep new customers long term, their LTE wireless product will be dead in the water as soon as FTTH goes live in areas and customers will be leaving them.

If Imagine/Magnet do re-sell Siro, let's hope they don't impose that ridiculous 20GB/Day limit!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

If Imagine/Magnet do re-sell Siro, let's hope they don't impose that ridiculous 20GB/Day limit!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    That limit of 20GB/day is only for LTE they use there FTTC limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

When and how will we get news on where they will deploy in Ennis....?

Can someone who is already with Siro can help me to estimate the time. 19.09.16 Gealtec started wiring my estate, they finished yesterday 22.09.16, today i got a letter from ESB saying that next week (30.09.16) there will be no power for the whole day (assuming that it has something to do with Siro) so, someone who has seen similar process at his place can tell me how long it took since when ESB did the job - until you could actually order Siro from resellers?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Just got and email off Digiweb saying that Drogheda is covered. Slightly out of Drogheda in Tullyallen but sales guy seemed to think it could be possible. Will know in 2 weeks..

Dare we dream?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Can someone who is already with Siro can help me to estimate the time. 19.09.16 Gealtec started wiring my estate, they finished yesterday 22.09.16, today i got a letter from ESB saying that next week (30.09.16) there will be no power for the whole day (assuming that it has something to do with Siro) so, someone who has seen similar process at his place can tell me how long it took since when ESB did the job - until you could actually order Siro from resellers?

Thanks.

I am interested in this as well as the contractors are in my estate in Newbridge running fibre. Started last Friday so I am wondering how long it will be before ordering is possible.

On another question when the product is been installed does the contractor (Sierra) give you an option where they install the junction box. The reason I ask is that the ESB box is on the side of the house and comes into the playroom where I have a full comms room separately were all the house Cat6 terminates and that is towards the other side of the house. Would love to know peoples thoughts if they would run the fibre to their.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

TCP/IP wrote: »
    On another question when the product is been installed does the contractor (Sierra) give you an option where they install the junction box. The reason I ask is that the ESB box is on the side of the house and comes into the playroom where I have a full comms room separately were all the house Cat6 terminates and that is towards the other side of the house. Would love to know peoples thoughts if they would run the fibre to their.
    I had them here today (waiting for them to come back tomorrow), no option on where they will install the ONT & power unit, basically the shortest distance possible from your meter box.

The cable they are supplying from this to the router is CAT5 :confused:
    Pretty dam useless when you have Vodafone offer two speeds of 350MB and 1GB, I had to go out this afternoon and get CAT6 myself :rolleyes:

I'll post back here tomorrow on how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I had them here today (waiting for them to come back tomorrow), no option on where they will install the ONT & power unit, basically the shortest distance possible from your meter box.

Pretty dam useless when you have Vodafone offer two speeds of 350MB and 1GB, I had to go out this afternoon and get CAT6 myself :rolleyes:

Are you sure?
    Is it not Cat5e which is well capable of 1Gb/s speeds?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yup, Cat5e can easily do gigabit up to 30 metres.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Thanks a million and pictures would be super

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Thanks a million and pictures would be super

These are from a Cousins Siro/Vodafone FTTH install in Tralee during August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Check the cable again, most likely CAT5e - very hard to find CAT5 patch cords anymore, yet alone being packed with new equipment.
    You could run CAT6 if you want to 'future proof' but the extra cost of correctly spec'd connectors/patch-panels/wall-sockets, for home use I wouldn't see the need. I don't see anyone running 10GBASE-T, the NICs haven't dropped in price as many companies just use fiber instead for 10gig links
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yup, Cat5e can easily do gigabit up to 30 metres.

CAT5e can run gigbit within the max cable distance spec'd, so up around 100m.
    I ran enterprise equipment (1000's of servers) in large DCs in the past, using gig home run patches towards 100m with a lot of traffic with no issues

Are you sure?
    Is it not Cat5e which is well capable of 1Gb/s speeds?
    That's what Vodafone and the main guy here today said, the CAT5 they have can only do up to 200MB. Vodafone say CAT6 for their 350MB and 1GB service and that's what they want the installers to be using. They also said that the crowd in Tralee are using it and apparently they are the best team in the country at the minute doing installs.

If someone can verify otherwise before they come here tomorrow that would be great as I have already installed CAT6.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Check the cable again, most likely CAT5e - very hard to find CAT5 patch cords anymore, yet alone being packed with new equipment.
    You could run CAT6 if you want to 'future proof' but the extra cost of correctly spec'd connectors/patch-panels/wall-sockets, for home use I wouldn't see the need. I don't see anyone running 10GBASE-T, the NICs haven't dropped in price as many companies just use fiber instead for 10gig links

I ran enterprise equipment (1000's of servers) in large DCs in the past, using gig home run patches towards 100m with a lot of traffic with no issues
    Am I ok with this CAT6 I have installed or will I let them install CAT5 instead tomorrow :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Am I ok with this CAT6 I have installed or will I let them install CAT5 instead tomorrow :confused:

You're fine, way above what you need.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Yeah, fair enough. I've had bad experiences trying to do GigE over Cat5e on a radio tower co-located with two commercial FM transmitters, but I guess that's a worstcase scenario most people won't encounter. ;)

• Advertisement

Installed and not off to a good start at all :(

vfstpe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Installed and not off to a good start at all :(

vfstpe.jpg

Does it not take a few days before the speeds go up?

Could have sworn one of the OG installs had a similar issue, read back the thread and see can you find it...

Fieldog wrote: »
    Does it not take a few days before the speeds go up?

Could have sworn one of the OG installs had a similar issue, read back the thread and see can you find it...
    All fixed now, LAN cables supplied with router not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

All fixed now, LAN cables supplied with router not working.

Phew!

Pop up a new one when you get the cables sorted... :)

Hellboy, would you be able to tell approximate time between wiring your place - untill possibility to order it from vodafone?

I'm trying to estimate the time when should i cancel current provider (i need to let them know few weeks before cancelation i think)

Hellboy, would you be able to tell approximate time between wiring your place - untill possibility to order it from vodafone?

I'm trying to estimate the time when should i cancel current provider (i need to let them know few weeks before cancelation i think)
    Ordered it last Monday, it was to be done yesterday but they ran into a problem and came back first thing this morning.

The job took about an hour to do and they were extremely tidy.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Phew!

Pop up a new one when you get the cables sorted... :)

5666712786.png

Not the installation time, I mean when you saw them for the first time doing some job on your estate like wiring etc. Was it months/weeks when you could order siro from vodafon?

Not the installation time, I mean when you saw them for the first time doing some job on your estate like wiring etc. Was it months/weeks when you could order siro from vodafon?
    About 3 months from when they finished on my estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Ordered it last Monday, it was to be done yesterday but they ran into a problem and came back first thing this morning.

The job took about an hour to do and they were extremely tidy.

Are you located in Dundalk?

Advertisement