Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Are you located in Dundalk?
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can someone tell how they decide what areas of the designated towns get this Siro service.

And do you then pay a higher charge than normal fibre broadband?

Has anyone actually been connected and billed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I've no idea actually.

I was paying 38 a month for fibre broadband with Vodafone, its now 40 a month for the Siro on an 18 month contract. I got free installation, free modem, 6 months free Netflix and the first 2 months free as I was a Vodafone customer already.

I got the first 2 months free so I have -29 Euro on my account at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

Can someone tell how they decide what areas of the designated towns get this Siro service.

I think I might be a good example, but i can be wrong. Anyway, I am on 13MB ADSL2+ at the moment, fibre is available in my town for months now, i can upgrade to fibre from Eir but all i can get is only 7MB because of the distance to cabinet. When Gealtec came to do the work in my town, they started on my estate, so conclusion could be that they focus on places where people are stuck with ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

unkymo wrote: »
    I've no idea actually.

I was paying 38 a month for fibre broadband with Vodafone, its now 40 a month for the Siro on an 18 month contract. I got free installation, free modem, 6 months free Netflix and the first 2 months free as I was a Vodafone customer already.

I got the first 2 months free so I have -29 Euro on my account at the moment!

with a deal like that , ill hang on for siro. hopefully castlebar is next

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

urgash wrote: »
    ...i can upgrade to fibre from Eir but all i can get is only 7MB because of the distance to cabinet.

That's not fibre. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FALC0NR15

@irishgeo

The ESB was working today in Castlebar and I was talking to a few of them and they said that they're surveying Castlebar and Westport atm and should be staarting them in the next two weeks. Said it should be all done in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

irishgeo wrote:
    with a deal like that , ill hang on for siro. hopefully castlebar is next

I had a reply typed out to your message but I got logged out!

Basically what Falconr15 said. They surveyed our estate here in Tralee for a few weeks and then the diggers turned up a few weeks later to install Siro.

From when the ESB turned up to when I got connected was about 5 months in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fr0zen

I've contacted SIRO about getting it at my address here in Carrigaline but appearantly there has been some technical difficulties, ESB were out the other day at one of the big green electrical cabinets where tli group were also looking at and they had done some construction at it, anyone have any idea about what could be causing them not being and to start work there and what ESB could of done? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

FALC0NR15 wrote: »
    @irishgeo

The ESB was working today in Castlebar and I was talking to a few of them and they said that they're surveying Castlebar and Westport atm and should be staarting them in the next two weeks. Said it should be all done in a few months

Maybe the green stickers on the mini pillar do mean something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Hellboy, would you be able to tell approximate time between wiring your place - untill possibility to order it from vodafone?

I'm trying to estimate the time when should i cancel current provider (i need to let them know few weeks before cancelation i think)

I would suggest not cancelling your existing provider until you have the new connection in and working. I know it will cost you a month's rental, but what happens if Siro hit some glitch that means they can't install you for a few weeks/months? Can you live without cat videos for that long? :P

If you tried to go back to your existing provider, they might stick you on another 12/18 month contract.

Fair point ;)

So it is possible that Siro will only be provided to people who don't have Fibre broadband. Maybe some will get lucky and get the upgrade.

As the NBP won't pay Siro or Eir for providing a 1GB service to people who already have an adequate fibre network (upto 100mb or in most cases a 50/20 download/upload profile)

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

I thinking we mentioned this before in another thread where it was said many urban dwellers will have a slower connection than those connected to Eir/Siro.

Glad that I at least have Fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

they started on my estate, so conclusion could be that they focus on places where people are stuck with ADSL.

Here in Wexford they are working on areas that already have Eir ftth (Heathfield & Bloomfield in Clonard).

I thought they were picking easy to do areas (relatively modern estates with proper ducting) but I also notice they seem to be ready to go on pole-mounted fibre in Carcur (an older part of town).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So it is possible that Siro will only be provided to people who don't have Fibre broadband. Maybe some will get lucky and get the upgrade.

As the NBP won't pay Siro or Eir for providing a 1GB service to people who already have an adequate fibre network (upto 100mb or in most cases a 50/20 download/upload profile)

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

I thinking we mentioned this before in another thread where it was said many urban dwellers will have a slower connection than those connected to Eir/Siro.

Glad that I at least have Fibre.

Yeah, we could end up in the situation where someone in an urban area could be getting 30Mbps from Eir FTTC yet the most rural of people will be able to access 1Gbps. I don't really see it being a problem for too long though. Once the NBP is fully rolled out, I imagine Eir and Siro will start rolling out FTTH in urban areas. Hopefully, UPC start expanding their network as well.

Yeah, we could end up in the situation where someone in an urban area could be getting 30Mbps from Eir FTTC yet the most rural of people will be able to access 1Gbps. I don't really see it being a problem for too long though. Once the NBP is fully rolled out, I imagine Eir and Siro will start rolling out FTTH in urban areas. Hopefully, UPC start expanding their network as well.

Ya that could be a possibility. Vodafone already have their tv service. Eir as well. Many people will probably get all their tv service through the broadband connection instead of a satellite dish.

I'd prefer to still have the dish as at least if the broadband goes down you still have a tv service to watch.

It could be a long time before existing fibre people get the 1GB connection. I wonder will price plans change once they hook people up.

Will they charge extra for the higher speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Speed and price really arent related.

The new network is costly to deploy and does attract a premium(70 vs 50 or there abouts).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

ED E wrote: »
    Speed and price really arent related.

The new network is costly to deploy and does attract a premium(70 vs 50 or there abouts).

won't eir be in a better position to lower prices then as their network has been fibre for a few years already so it's just the last mile works they're spending on whereas siro have the entire network to work off.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

500M in debt.

Here in Wexford they are working on areas that already have Eir ftth (Heathfield & Bloomfield in Clonard).

I thought they were picking easy to do areas (relatively modern estates with proper ducting) but I also notice they seem to be ready to go on pole-mounted fibre in Carcur (an older part of town).

Are you sure that those areas have a cabinet like every 500m? As i said on my example, Eir ftth is already at my place for months, but because of the distance it's not worth having 7MB "fibre" when i can have 13MB ADSL2+

If I run bussines worth millions i would obviously target people like myself, who are tired of being in towns where FTTH is available for months, and cant get anything faster than few MB...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are you sure that those areas have a cabinet like every 500m? As i said on my example, Eir ftth is already at my place for months, but because of the distance it's not worth having 7MB "fibre" when i can have 13MB ADSL2+

If I run bussines worth millions i would obviously target people like myself, who are tired of being in towns where FTTH is available for months, and cant get anything faster than few MB...
    You're confusing FTTH and FTTC. FTTH is fibre to the home and will give speeds of 1Gbps. FTTC is fibre to a cabinet and copper the rest of the way to the house. This will give speeds of <100Mpbs and the speeds will get slower the further the distance from the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Are you sure that those areas have a cabinet like every 500m?
    You're confusing FTTH and FTTC. FTTH is fibre to the home and will give speeds of 1Gbps. FTTC is fibre to a cabinet and copper the rest of the way to the house. This will give speeds of <100Mpbs and the speeds will get slower the further the distance from the cabinet.

Yep, Bloomfield has 1000Mbps available from eir and seemingly soon will have the same on a separate network from Siro.

My in-laws live there and have 'no need' for any sort of internet - while I gently weep with jealousy on my 0.5-12meg wisp connection :(

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Yep, Bloomfield has 1000Mbps available from eir and seemingly soon will have the same on a separate network from Siro.

My in-laws live there and have 'no need' for any sort of internet - while I gently weep with jealousy on my 0.5-12meg wisp connection :(

That is crying out for a houseswap!! ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

My estate has FTTC and also has Virgin Media throughout the estate and SIRO is as we speak laying the FTTH system in the estate who knew that Newbridge had such wonderful communications options.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Vodafone fibre FTTC = 40 pm, no calls

Vodafone FTTP = 55 pm min

Geuze wrote: »
    Vodafone fibre FTTC = 40 pm, no calls

Vodafone FTTP = 55 pm min

Is that for definite. I can see a lot of people with both options sticking to the cheaper option. A lot of people who don't stream or use playback tv would have no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is that for definite. I can see a lot of people with both options sticking to the cheaper option. A lot of people who don't stream or use playback tv would have no need for it.

http://www.vodafone.ie/home/broadband/?icmp=homepage-converged-module-bb

Geuze wrote: »

Does that mean anyone who gets fibre with Siro will have to pay €55 per month at least?

Not bad I suppose for 350mbps service. On a par with the Virgin service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not much of an issue for people on the Virgin/UPC network. They can turn on 1Gb/s whenever they want, the network is well capable of it. Just a matter of demand and competition.

I suspect Eir will do G.Fast from the cab, which will give people within 500 meters of a cab 300Mb/s. This would be a quick, relatively cheap, gap filler until they eventually roll out FTTH to all, which will likely take many years.

To be honest once you go over 50Mb/s *, it all largely becomes academic for most people. There really is little noticeable difference between a 50Mb/s connection and a 360Mb/s connection for most people IMO.

* A house share with lots of students might need a bit more, 100Mb/s maybe, but not much more.

The advantage of FTTH for rural Ireland is the reliability of it and the fact that it isn't as effected by distance as DSL, etc. The fact that it can deliver 1GB/s is just the icing on the cake.

Advertisement