Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

I'm in Letterkenny. Just got a letter from the ESB saying our electricity might be off next week for a few hours as they install fibre.

When they install fibre in an area, do they pump fibre to all homes or is this done only when you order it?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Manc Red wrote: »
    When they install fibre in an area, do they pump fibre to all homes or is this done only when you order it?

When you order it. The initial build brings fibre to the chamber near your home, and ordering a service from one of the retail operators triggers the installation of the last bit of fibre to the home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Fiber FTTH is something you have to order yourself no matter what service provider is providing it. Work is required to get it into your home, new wiring and new modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Manc Red wrote: »
    I'm in Letterkenny. Just got a letter from the ESB saying our electricity might be off next week for a few hours as they install fibre.

Where aboots?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

They installed the fibre to the poles serving my house here weeks ago out the ramelton Road, still cannot order it on there system, I wouldn't hold your breath..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

Digiweb accepting pre-orders in these towns:

Dundalk, Louth.
    Letterkenny, Donegal.
    Drogheda, Louth.

I can't post the link, i'm too newbie sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

jimmad wrote: »
    They installed the fibre to the poles serving my house here weeks ago out the ramelton Road, still cannot order it on there system, I wouldn't hold your breath..

Yeah it's slow going. I'm not wired up yet I think. BEEN no power cuts and no loud digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Coming up to 4 months on Siro, wouldnt be far off it anyway. Broadband works great.
    But VF are BEYOND clueless on the phoneline/VOIP.

Last they told me over 2 months ago was that they were working on fixing this issue. "Its an unusual one that hasnt happened before." A special elite group of 9-5 tech troubleshooters are working on it...Can never get talking to them.

Should I contact VF to get an update I asked...No they said. The elite tech team will let me know when it is fixed... :rolleyes:

Now I was never filled with confidence on that fob off but you kinda hope that eventually they will contact you...:o:(

Yeah, Im kinda fed up getting the same bs speel.

Would i recommend VF??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Coming up to 4 months on Siro, wouldnt be far off it anyway. Broadband works great.
    But VF are BEYOND clueless on the phoneline/VOIP.

Last they told me over 2 months ago was that they were working on fixing this issue. "Its an unusual one that hasnt happened before." A special elite group of 9-5 tech troubleshooters are working on it...Can never get talking to them.

Should I contact VF to get an update I asked...No they said. The elite tech team will let me know when it is fixed... :rolleyes:

Now I was never filled with confidence on that fob off but you kinda hope that eventually they will contact you...:o:(

Yeah, Im kinda fed up getting the same bs speel.

Would i recommend VF??:eek:

What are you paying per month and what speed are you getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

What are you paying per month and what speed are you getting.

45euro pm, for 150mb dl. Havent done a speed test in a while, but depending on laptop between 50mb and 130 i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Seen the attached in the estate today they have been here for the last 2 weeks. Anyone know if this is very early days? Living in Mullingar but when I look at the interactive map it says unavailable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

ESB are in the Castlebar brefey road industrial estate today, they are moving between the small road side pillar boxes. Seem to be checking them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Whats has siro broadband allowed you to do, you couldnt do before.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

irishgeo wrote: »
    Whats has siro broadband allowed you to do, you couldnt do before.

That depends completely on what you had before getting FTTH.

If you previously had less then a 5mb/s, as would be pretty normal for many if not most people in rural Ireland. Suddenly you will easily be able to do youtube, netflix and other video streaming services in HD and even UHD 4k.

It also makes any cloud service much easier and faster to use. Full backups of your laptops, etc. Full backups of all your pictures and videos to services like Google Photos, Flickr, etc.

It should also allow for much greater reliability of service.

It will allow to use actually internet at any times when others using it at home! this is the most important matter for myself, 12MB ADSL and if my wife is on FB or YT I cant do much, high latency etc. Not to mention about poor skype quality.

For people who downloading a lot of movies, games etc, believe it or not it will save few quid on electricity bills, no need to leave PC on for the day or night to download files!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

urgash wrote: »
    It will allow to use actually internet at any times when others using it at home! this is the most important matter for myself, 12MB ADSL and if my wife is on FB or YT I cant do much, high latency etc. Not to mention about poor skype quality.

For people who downloading a lot of movies, games etc, believe it or not it will save few quid on electricity bills, no need to leave PC on for the day or night to download files!

Game downloads would definitely be a big one. They're huge now, some are over 70GBs. Downloading that on a <5Mbps connection would take days.

Exactly, like me tonight - BF1 40GB+ to download over the night. Hopefully it's gonna be ready for next evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Exactly, like me tonight - BF1 40GB+ to download over the night. Hopefully it's gonna be ready for next evening.

Between 20 and 30 mins with my VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

cod infinite warfare 130GB gona take me days with my 4mb.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rob808 wrote: »

By the time you finish downloading it you'll probably have to delete it to make room for Infinite Warfare 2 to install.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

even on my 8/9 meg ADSL connection that game is gonna take about 2 to 3 days of solid downloading with a few pauses in between just to use the internet for other things.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

130GB? Less than 20 minutes on a SIRO gigabit connection (assuming the server can keep up). That's pretty cool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

For some of us 130Gb would take 7 months to download, at a 20Gb per month limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

That's a lot of floppies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

aiden007 wrote: »
    I am in country and there is no fibre to my door .
    I had man from eircom come to my door and tell me i have access to 1000mb speed?? They told me it is in my electric, I just need adapter to decode, fibre In towns and through powerlines in country.

No such product exists in Ireland. In fact, broadband delivered over power wiring tends to be not very good as the electricity wiring is heavy duty copper never intended to carry signals.

Beware of door-to-door sales people's lack of facts. They're typically not employed directly by the company they're selling for and some aren't all that clear on what the product is or may tell you anything at all to get a sale.

ESB / Vodafone joint venture called SIRO uses fibre physically running along the electricity wires / ducts and poles. It does not use the electricity lines to supply broadband, just shares physical space with them.

OpenEir (Eircom Wholesale) use two products:
    In most areas, fibre-to-the-cabinet which has a small street cabinet provided with multiple fibre connections back to the core network. Customers are connected to it via phone lines using VDSL2 (with vectoring) that allows connection speeds of up to 100Mbit/s over copper wires.

They are also rolling out fibre-to-the-home using their poles and ducts to carry fibre optic cables directly to your house.

Confusingly, they call both 'fibre'

Finally, Virgin Media use fibre-to-the-last-amplifier technology or HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coaxial) network which basically means they use fibre to a small node near by and coaxial cable to your house. This produces speeds of 300Mbit/s and potentially way beyond that if they chose to roll it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

No such product exists in Ireland. In fact, broadband delivered over power wiring tends to be not very good as the electricity wiring is heavy duty copper never intended to carry signals.

Beware of door-to-door sales people's lack of facts. They're typically not employed directly by the company they're selling for and some aren't all that clear on what the product is or may tell you anything at all to get a sale.

ESB / Vodafone joint venture called SIRO uses fibre physically running along the electricity wires / ducts and poles. It does not use the electricity lines to supply broadband, just shares physical space with them.

OpenEir (Eircom Wholesale) use two products:
    In most areas, fibre-to-the-cabinet which has a small street cabinet provided with multiple fibre connections back to the core network. Customers are connected to it via phone lines using VDSL2 (with vectoring) that allows connection speeds of up to 100Mbit/s over copper wires.

They are also rolling out fibre-to-the-home using their poles and ducts to carry fibre optic cables directly to your house.

Confusingly, they call both 'fibre'

Finally, Virgin Media use fibre-to-the-last-amplifier technology or HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coaxial) network which basically means they use fibre to a small node near by and coaxial cable to your house. This produces speeds of 300Mbit/s and potentially way beyond that if they chose to roll it out.

Don't wake that troll ... it's been thankfully peaceful since we last shut him down with the shyte he was spewing.

Siro were out doing a house estate in Moneen Castlebar today.... I'll update when I have more info

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Siro were out doing a house estate in Moneen Castlebar today.... I'll update when I have more info

That's good to hear. What Estate was it?

That's good to hear. What Estate was it?

Abbeyside.

You can now also sign up for updates from westnet. They should be better with information than Vodafone on when it's actually going to go live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is it possible to get a static ip with Vodafone on siro broadband.

Advertisement