Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Siro van touring Enniscorthy the other day,no works planned in the near future but maybe the speed of the Virgin Media works in the town might force their hand or they'll be playing a hard game of catchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

zerks wrote:
    Siro van touring Enniscorthy the other day,no works planned in the near future but maybe the speed of the Virgin Media works in the town might force their hand or they'll be playing a hard game of catchup.

There was something in the Wexford People about Virgin moving into Wexford Town. Interesting, as large areas of the town have poor broadband, eir only rolled out ftth to a limited part of the town and there is no sign of them finishing off the job properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

jd wrote: »
    There was something in the Wexford People about Virgin moving into Wexford Town. Interesting, as large areas of the town have poor broadband, eir only rolled out ftth to a limited part of the town and there is no sign of them finishing off the job properly.

I think the ftth trial was a flop, between shoddy workmanship and a poor choice of hardware it was doomed from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

I don't think there was much business case for eir for FTTH in Wexford since virgin media building out there network in Wexford.It similar for virgin media not touching rural Ireland no money in it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

rob808 wrote:
    I don't think there was much business case for eir for FTTH in Wexford since virgin media building out there network in Wexford.It similar for virgin media not touching rural Ireland no money in it for them.

Virgin haven't started building their network in Wexford Town yet. Paradoxically, I think Wexford town inhabitants would have been better off if there had never been a ftth trial there, virtually all of the residents would have 30+ bb now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

An email from SIRO today announcing Carnsore Broadband as a reseller - obviously coming close to a launch in Wexford town.

The map on their website now has a green 'available now' pin on Wexford although any address I've tried hasn't come up as live yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Virgin haven't started building their network in Wexford Town yet. Paradoxically, I think Wexford town inhabitants would have been better off if there had never been a ftth trial there, virtually all of the residents would have 30+ bb now.

Pricing was too high,many people wanted the cheapest option available and certain clueless councillors wouldn't allow Eir to carry out works to install fibre so a lot of the town was left undone.Enniscorthy has left them behind regarding broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

K&N surveying in Ennis today for SIRO, they don't know the exact timeframes for deployment, but told to move asap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What is involved with the surveying? Are they trying to identify an area to deploy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i got a email from westnet saying siro havent released a homes passed by document yet for castlebar and that i should be covered in manor village as its the proposed network area.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mc Love wrote: »
    What is involved with the surveying? Are they trying to identify an area to deploy it?

Different parts of town have different ESB infrastructure (overhead, ducted, whatever) which requires a different approach to building the SIRO fibre network in each area.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Mc Love wrote: »

they said they have 9 areas already defined in Ennis and they are surveying those now, luckily i'm in one of them (Ballybeg).
    from what he told me, K&N will deploy the fiber as far as the ducting in the road outside your house and then someone else comes along to blow it into your house later, they have been told to move asap, so sounds promising, but he wasn't able to provide firm timescales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

irishgeo wrote: »
    i got a email from westnet saying siro havent released a homes passed by document yet for castlebar and that i should be covered in manor village as its the proposed network area.

Isn't manor village already covered by Eir ftth?

You will be spoiled for choice

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

ctlsleh wrote: »
    they said they have 9 areas already defined in Ennis and they are surveying those now, luckily i'm in one of them (Ballbeg).
    from what he told me, K&N will deploy the fiber as far as the ducting in the road outside your house and then someone else comes along to blow it into your house later, they have been told to move asap, so sounds promising, but he wasn't able to provide firm timescales.

KNN, blowing a Ballbeg near you soon....

Isn't manor village already covered by Eir ftth?

You will be spoiled for choice

Yep. i couldn't find a eir ftth package with broadband only, so i was waiting for siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Yep. i couldn't find a eir ftth package with broadband only, so i was waiting for siro.

Do you know of anyone on the estate that has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

They are there but well hidden apparently :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

They are there but well hidden apparently :)

I think if FTTH is available to you the FTTH broadband only will show up under the broadband only options and shows a speed of 150 megs. I think once you go to order it you then select 150, 300 or 1000.

Do you know of anyone on the estate that has it?

nope just seen them wiring up the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

FTTH standalone pricing here, page 3 - https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Carnasore broadband in Wexford told me today they are hoping to start the installation to homes in 4 weeks in Wexford town.

No idea on coverage areas if it will cover all estates in the town or is it limited to certain areas does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

jayo26 wrote: »
    Carnasore broadband in Wexford told me today they are hoping to start the installation to homes in 4 weeks in Wexford town.

No idea on coverage areas if it will cover all estates in the town or is it limited to certain areas does anyone know?

I also contacted them. I was told the same - 4 weeks but had still to determine whether my address would be covered

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I don't recall seeing any specifics on what areas will and won't be covered but on the roll-out map virtually the entire town (within the bypass/river) is greyed out except for undeveloped areas (the golf course in Mulgannon, playing pitches in Carcur) so I would assume if you're in the grey zone they'll get to you (eventually).

I fairly sure that in other towns (Letterkenny?) they are still rolling out the network months after the official launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

Yea, I have seen them in Cluain Dara and they have gone up the quay into the faythe area. It's just a matter of time i'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Fingers crossed I donno how long more I can live with 5mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FALC0NR15

I don't recall seeing any specifics on what areas will and won't be covered but on the roll-out map virtually the entire town (within the bypass/river) is greyed out except for undeveloped areas (the golf course in Mulgannon, playing pitches in Carcur) so I would assume if you're in the grey zone they'll get to you (eventually).

I fairly sure that in other towns (Letterkenny?) they are still rolling out the network months after the official launch.

The Grey area doesn't signify if you'll get it for sure. It's just the LEA boundaries and they won't be going outside that.

I'm inside the boundaries in Castlebar and I know for a fact that I won't be getting SIRO until NBP at the earliest.

I genuinely believe I've a better chance of eir covering my house and IMO in the next few years we should see eir kick on and cover massive areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Warning signs gone up around Grange Rath in Drogheda saying SIRO contractor (Obelisk??) will be starting work in the estate.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

FALC0NR15 wrote: »
    I'm inside the boundaries in Castlebar and I know for a fact that I won't be getting SIRO until NBP at the earliest.

Out of curiosity, how do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

FALC0NR15 wrote: »
    The Grey area doesn't signify if you'll get it for sure. It's just the LEA boundaries and they won't be going outside that.

I genuinely believe I've a better chance of eir covering my house and IMO in the next few years we should see eir kick on and cover massive areas.

I inquired off Westnet recently and they said that I am inside the grey coverage area, but that SIRO had yet to publish their list of eligible addresses. Hence I'd be curious as to how you know as a fact that your will not be covered - did you hear that directly from someone in SIRO?.

Im in a borderline area, covered by eir efibre, but its a pretty awful service. I get 12M down but less that 800K up link speed. Distance from the cab, given the way houses are spread out once you leave the main estates, is the big failing with the FTTC solution, so praying that SIRO can deliver for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Saw 2 siro vans with an esb van at an est substation just outside newbridge this evening. No idea what they were doing but could be a good sign.

Advertisement