Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

guil wrote: »
    Saw 2 siro vans with an esb van at an est substation just outside newbridge this evening. No idea what they were doing but could be a good sign.

I am in Newbridge and SIRO vans have been onsite for weeks. They reckon Q1 next year will be able to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

I am in Skibbereen, Gealtec start work 19-09-2016, i can't see them anymore for last week or even longer, and yet no info when and who will be the reseller in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FALC0NR15

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how do you know?

I have a friend whose uncle is very high up in the ESB and he basically said they would be covering really dense areas with businesses near them and that where I live will absolutely not be covered.

I don't know if he has seen the map, but I imagine he has and he was very adamant about it

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

FALC0NR15 wrote: »
    I have a friend whose uncle is very high up in the ESB and he basically said they would be covering really dense areas with businesses near them and that where I live will absolutely not be covered.

I don't know if he has seen the map, but I imagine he has and he was very adamant about it

so what area you in then?

I'm out the Moneen Rd - no sight of activity on this side yet.

Is this for real?

SIRO is now available in Skibbereen through Vodafone.

Last time when i had this feeling it was 25 years ago when got my first Commodore C64 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 FALC0NR15

so what area you in then?

I'm out the Moneen Rd - no sight of activity on this side yet.

Snugborough and no sign of anything here either. I hope they have a good rollout as it'd be great for the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

urgash wrote: »
    Is this for real?

SIRO is now available in Skibbereen through Vodafone.

Last time when i had this feeling it was 25 years ago when got my first Commodore C64 !
    Time to check the specs on your equipment, proper high speed BB certainly shows up all the weak spots:pac: especially on the wireless items.

It's all ready boy for years now, the hype is real. But typical... Vodafone says that this is not available in my area so i can't order it....

Anyone here with Vodafone who can share opinion about them? to be honest i was hoping for some small company as a reseller, i've learned already that small businesses care about customers way better... Any problems with Vodafone customer service etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Picture of Siro fibre coiled up in Wexford Quay area (BOI junction) http://imgur.com/17ZWQyt

It seems that excitement was too early, according to Siro roll out map, the only area they hooked up at the moment is main street in Skibbereen (which is already covered by Eir...). I hope this is not the case as FALC0NR15 said that if you are in grey area, not necessarily mean that you can actually get it.

But at the same time, why would they bother to wire my estate?

• Advertisement

It's all ready boy for years now, the hype is real. But typical... Vodafone says that this is not available in my area so i can't order it....

Anyone here with Vodafone who can share opinion about them? to be honest i was hoping for some small company as a reseller, i've learned already that small businesses care about customers way better... Any problems with Vodafone customer service etc?

VF are great as a provider but if you want to cancel....I hope you're a good dancer as they'll put you through so many hoops it'll drive you insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

I have a had a run in with them. I will keep it short:

They rang me offering fibre speed broadband. I told them it wasn't available at my location. They insisted it was. The rep asked me to hold on while he checked my address. He came back and said that it was definitely available. I presumed it must have been done recently and bowed to their superior knowledge. I signed up for a 12 month contract. I received a standard ADSL modem in the post a week later. I hooked it up did a test and was getting 6 megs down.

Rang them to inform them that they had made a mistake and sent the equipment only to be told that fibre wasn't available at my address.

They still insisted that I owed them for the 12 months. Needless to say I told them where to go and I never paid it. Whether it impacted on my credit rating I don't know but they lost a potential customer for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Fr0g wrote: »
    I have a had a run in with them. I will keep it short:

They rang me offering fibre speed broadband. I told them it wasn't available at my location. They insisted it was. The rep asked me to hold on while he checked my address. He came back and said that it was definitely available. I presumed it must have been done recently and bowed to their superior knowledge. I signed up for a 12 month contract. I received a standard ADSL modem in the post a week later. I hooked it up did a test and was getting 6 megs down.

Rang them to inform them that they had made a mistake and sent the equipment only to be told that fibre wasn't available at my address.

They still insisted that I owed them for the 12 months. Needless to say I told them where to go and I never paid it. Whether it impacted on my credit rating I don't know but they lost a potential customer for good.

Your entitled to cancel within a cooling-off period I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Fr0g wrote: »
    ... Whether it impacted on my credit rating I don't know but they lost a potential customer for good.

Your credit rating will be fine. They don't use the ICB, so it will not cause you any issues ... unless you go back to them at some time in the future - they may get sticky about outstanding "debt". :rolleyes:

Though as @irishgeo said, if you were within 14 days of the service commencing, you are completely fine. :D

irishgeo wrote: »
    Your entitled to cancel within a cooling-off period I thought.

Yes, but by the time I received the modem and installed it that cooling off period had expired. Deliberately delayed I'm sure.

They tried very hard to get me to pay it but I refused point blank and I haven't heard from them since. That was a couple of years ago so the 12 month contract is well over by now.

I know of 1 other person that they tried this on with and he also refused.

So... Caveat Emptor.

It's all recorded so nothing to worry about, i think you can even ask them for the copy of that conversation as it is verbal agreement. This is very well known practice by all big corporation, not only Vodafone.

I asked for a copy of it but they were reluctant to give it to me and then wanted to charge me for it. Each of us knew the score so I didn't bother, I knew they wouldn't wouldn't pursue me in court. It was left in a sort of Mexican stand-off.
    Wouldn't go near them again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Either I'm unlucky or the Vodafone siro modems have a fault where they keep crashing and going offline. Sometimes just once a month, and sometimes twice in one week. It will not come back till I power cycle the modem. I'm fighting with vodafone for months about it trying to get a new modem. One agent actually said monthly outages are not considered an issue. Now they say they are no replacement modems in stock but finally acknowledge the issue. I have tv service and nothing records when it goes down and it's really frustrating. If I'm not at home it means I cant get into any smart devices at home and all is dead till I get back home and power cycle modem.

Mgit wrote: »
    Either I'm unlucky or the Vodafone siro modems have a fault where they keep crashing and going offline. Sometimes just once a month, and sometimes twice in one week. It will not come back till I power cycle the modem. I'm fighting with vodafone for months about it trying to get a new modem. One agent actually said monthly outages are not considered an issue. Now they say they are no replacement modems in stock but finally acknowledge the issue. I have tv service and nothing records when it goes down and it's really frustrating. If I'm not at home it means I cant get into any smart devices at home and all is dead till I get back home and power cycle modem.

That's shocking for a supposedly top dollar service. You'd think the pos modem they're handing out were expensive. You should at least have been sent out a replacement. I thought you could use a third party modem with the siro setup.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

jca wrote: »
    That's shocking for a supposedly top dollar service. You'd think the pos modem they're handing out were expensive. You should at least have been sent out a replacement. I thought you could use a third party modem with the siro setup.

Any Ethernet router should work for broadband, but won't necessarily provide TV or phone services.

Calling them "modems" sets my teeth on edge. Copper networks have modems. Fibre networks have routers (or "residential gateways", if you prefer).

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »

Have you tried the talk to Vodafone board on here. You usually get a better response than the phone.

Any Ethernet router should work for broadband, but won't necessarily provide TV or phone services.

Calling them "modems" sets my teeth on edge. Copper networks have modems. Fibre networks have routers (or "residential gateways", if you prefer).

Yeah you have a point sort of but the siro modems actually have dsl and Ethernet wan ports so they are sort of modems, even though I'm not using that feature. Vf support call them modems so I'm following their poor lead :-)

Yeah you have a point sort of but the siro modems actually have dsl and Ethernet wan ports so they are sort of modems, even though I'm not using that feature. Vf support call them modems so I'm following their poor terminology :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ahh now.

The ONT/OLT do QAM do they not? Thats by definition a modem I would have thought?

Most CPE is a home/residential gateway anyways, so the term modem is suitably lacking for both copper and glass (and RF).

EDIT: Just caught myself, if SIRO aren't consolidating into a single unit then you cant attribute the term modem. This time.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Have you tried the talk to Vodafone board on here. You usually get a better response than the phone.

Yeah I messaged Sheena a month ago when I was getting no traction with vf support. I mentioned about some general TV service issues as part of the same post and she offered to send my query to tv support. I should have separated out the broadband issue though, as I didn't stress that it was the urgent issue I needed sorted, then I waited to see if the issue resolved itself. VF seem to forget about the impact of broadband going down to tv. Also I don't think we should need to be rebooting modems to keep a service alive anyway, support told me the modem should be rebooting itself each night, and said that it's locking up from lack of regular reboots. Other agents contradicted that and said the siro modems do not reboot themselves each night. I would have thought a modem supporting a TV service can't auto restart at night or it could kill recordings or live TV if you were up late.

ED E wrote: »
    Ahh now.

The ONT/OLT do QAM do they not? Thats by definition a modem I would have thought?
    I'll concede that the ONT is kinda sorta a modem. :)
    EDIT: Just caught myself, if SIRO aren't consolidating into a single unit then you cant attribute the term modem. This time.
    They're not, and can't: the ONT is theirs; the CPE is the retailer's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

I'll concede that the ONT is kinda sorta a modem. :) They're not, and can't: the ONT is theirs; the CPE is the retailer's.
    If that is the case is it not the ONT that does the QAM?

damienirel wrote: »
    If that is the case is it not the ONT that does the QAM?

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Yup.

Ah the siro setup is a has 2 boxes but the first one does nada apart from provide a socket really.
    The other box is the ONT. So it is technically a modem as ED E said.
    Have to admit I didn't like the term modem since we moved away from dialup but it's technically correct to call it that it seems.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/229005/324614.jpg

• Advertisement

Mgit wrote: »
    Yeah I messaged Sheena a month ago when I was getting no traction with vf support. I mentioned about some general TV service issues as part of the same post and she offered to send my query to tv support. I should have separated out the broadband issue though, as I didn't stress that it was the urgent issue I needed sorted, then I waited to see if the issue resolved itself. VF seem to forget about the impact of broadband going down to tv. Also I don't think we should need to be rebooting modems to keep a service alive anyway, support told me the modem should be rebooting itself each night, and said that it's locking up from lack of regular reboots. Other agents contradicted that and said the siro modems do not reboot themselves each night. I would have thought a modem supporting a TV service can't auto restart at night or it could kill recordings or live TV if you were up late.

you sure its not over heating , where is it placed?

Advertisement