Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Actually: I'm not sure the ONT does in fact do QAM. Gigabit speeds don't generally require QAM on an optical network, do they?

I heard recently that the AEC transatlantic fibre uses 4QAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

irishgeo wrote: »
    you sure its not over heating , where is it placed?

Its sitting on the floor behind the TV shelf with plenty of air getting at it. Don't think it's overheating, I'm thinking that I might put a plugin timer on it so that it powers off for 30min each night until vf come up with a new modem or fix. Not pretty but at least if I'm away it will get powered cycled and come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Actually: I'm not sure the ONT does in fact do QAM. Gigabit speeds don't generally require QAM on an optical network, do they?

I heard recently that the AEC transatlantic fibre uses 4QAM.

True it may not need qam and you would have been correct in the first place!! :D Anyways interesting stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Any Ethernet router should work for broadband, but won't necessarily provide TV or phone services.

Calling them "modems" sets my teeth on edge. Copper networks have modems. Fibre networks have routers (or "residential gateways", if you prefer).

I think of modem meaning to change from one type of a signal to another.

Google sez "a combined device for modulation and demodulation"
    If gpon does some magigelling with signal frequencies then theres a modem somewhere :P

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Google sez "a combined device for modulation and demodulation"
    Yup. Modulation means making changes (amplitude, frequency, phase) to a carrier frequency to encode information.
    If gpon does some magigelling with signal frequencies then theres a modem somewhere :P
    It doesn't really, though.

• Advertisement

Theres a mini digger, two truck/trailers, a few vans and 5 or 6 KN guys outside my apartment digging holes around the place.

One under the electrical box and 3 smaller ones in the lane ways between blocks. Of course my duct has a blockage. Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

I see that Gaeltec have been digging up and laying cable along the Dublin Road in Portlaoise..

The side of the van say "working on behalf of SIRO" , does anyone if they will roll out 1GB any time soon in Portlaoise. As the fiber cable goes right past my estate, and it would be nice to have another provider to choose from.

I think they finished up yesterday. Left the place tidy enough.

They tarmaced it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

naughto wrote: »

"Services will become available before the end of this year"

Siro is now saying in their latest email update...

"Work is underway in Carlow, Castlebar, Ennis, Mullingar, Newbridge, Portlaoise and Westport with services expected to go live early 2017"

although his seems to contradict them also listing Castlebar as available with Westnet before Christmas.

And even then, will it be available in all areas indicated on their map, or just certain built up areas?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

"Services will become available before the end of this year"

Siro is now saying in their latest email update...

"Work is underway in Carlow, Castlebar, Ennis, Mullingar, Newbridge, Portlaoise and Westport with services expected to go live early 2017"

although his seems to contradict them also listing Castlebar as available with Westnet before Christmas.

And even then, will it be available in all areas indicated on their map, or just certain built up areas?

Yeah, the timetable has slipped a bit, I'm afraid.

We don't have final information on which parts of the town will be covered when. We're taking expressions of interest through the website, and we'll keep people updated as we know more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

Dont get excited too early as i did. In Skibbereen job is done since 2 weeks, some lads were checking lines etc few days ago everywhere (whats interesting including my estate), i got an email from siro today that Skibbereen roll out is complete. I rang Vodafone and they saying the service is not available at my address, there is only few addresses in Skibbereen on Siro map that actually have it available...

A bit disapointed if it's going to end up this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

same in tralee, live about 1km out of town and no siro here

same in tralee, live about 1km out of town and no siro here

Wow the way they talk you'd swear all of Tralee was covered - seems to be a tiny rollout. I asked them about my area via an email - the response I got was basically you'll never get it.

damienirel wrote: »
    Wow the way they talk you'd swear all of Tralee was covered - seems to be a tiny rollout. I asked them about my area via an email - the response I got was basically you'll never get it.

nope sure isnt everywhere, id say a 1km radius around the center of town

nope sure isnt everywhere, id say a 1km radius around the center of town

That is brutal! The tone of yer man in the email I got was hilarious, he wasn't a bit apologetic it was more or less of the "are you mental?". Put me off them a long time ago, if you have guys with that sort of attitude responding to potential future customers.

Yeah, the timetable has slipped a bit, I'm afraid.

We don't have final information on which parts of the town will be covered when. We're taking expressions of interest through the website, and we'll keep people updated as we know more.

Just curious.....
    Do you only offer the service in your area or is it available from you anywhere in ireland?

Just curious.....
    Do you only offer the service in your area or is it available from you anywhere in ireland?

Just Mayo at the moment, which means just Castlebar and Westport for now (and Ballina hopefully soon).

long shot but you dont know if siro intend to expand out further from their starting towns? im right at the edge of their coverage, very annoying

long shot but you dont know if siro intend to expand out further from their starting towns? im right at the edge of their coverage, very annoying

You mean expand into other towns, or expand into rural areas?

They've talked about expanding into a couple of hundred towns in the next phase, so lots of smaller towns will be covered. As for expanding outside the towns they're in, that will first of all be a commercial decision on their part, and secondly depend on how their NBP bid works out.

Speaking as a retail partner, if we get a lot of interest from an area that's just outside their existing coverage, we'll be passing that on to them with a view to trying to persuade them to extend outwards. I don't know how successful we'll be, but we'll be trying!

thanks paul, yeah im just outside their coverage in Tralee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Hey Paul, would you mind telling us what's the deal with symmetrical bandwidth/dedicated internet access other Siro provider's are advertising? What's that about? I emailed siro directly not too long ago, enquiring about the said above, and they said they'd be offering both symmetric (directed to business customers) and asymmetric ( directed to home customers, through Gpon technology) services. Would you happen to know anything about that by any chance? Would you be offering the same service?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Does this mean that Vodafone will not be doing Siro around Castlebar now? I'm an exisiting customer in a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Does this mean that Vodafone will not be doing Siro around Castlebar now? I'm an exisiting customer in a contract

No, its not a takeover.

In the same way that OpenEir sell to Eir, Vodafone, Magnet, Pure, Sky.... SIRO will sell to Vodafone, Westnet etc.

Vodafone do everywhere. Some other providers only do areas they're familiar with.

From a Siro email I got when I asked my question above:
    WHERE TO NEXT?
    With 2016 coming to a close, make sure you're connected to SIRO in time for Christmas. Here is a list of retailers by town:
    >Vodafone: Carrigaline, Cavan, Dundalk, Letterkenny, Ratheniska, Skibbereen, Sligo, Tralee, Wexford
    >Digiweb: Drogheda, Dundalk, Letterkenny
    >Westnet: Castlebar, Westport
    >Carnsore Broadband: Wexford

So digiweb don't cover skibbereen for example and Westnet don't cover letterkenny but vodafone do them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Cool thanks for that, just started to panic after i seen no Voda beside Castlebar on the Siro email

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Cool thanks for that, just started to panic after i seen no Voda beside Castlebar on the Siro email

No Vodadone in Castlebar in 2016. Coming in 2017 (and depending on where you live, might never arrive!)

But it does include Westnet "in time for Christmas" if you believe what they say.

I'm lucky enough to have a choice. Vodafone or digiweb.
    I think it has to be digiweb because it's a fiver less a month for the top tier and they have a better router (modem for bk).
    They both have UNLIMITED (1 TB/month). I think vodafone may be less strict on it though.

Any people with siro already got opinions on any of the redistributiors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'm lucky enough to have a choice. Vodafone or digiweb.
    I think it has to be digiweb because it's a fiver less a month for the top tier and they have a better router (modem for bk).
    They both have UNLIMITED (1 TB/month). I think vodafone may be less strict on it though.

Any people with siro already got opinions on any of the redistributiors?

No good to me, 1.2TB used here for October on VM. I had a very dejected VF sales guy at the door last night, everyone's gone to VM he didn't get a bite all day.

jca wrote: »
    No good to me, 1.2TB used here for October on VM. I had a very dejected VF sales guy at the door last night, everyone's gone to VM he didn't get a bite all day.

Hope they're smart enough to see the big issue is the ****ty download limit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

jca wrote: »

and this is why I think rolling out FTTH to towns that already have Virgin Media and FTTC is a bit of a waste (for now). Those services are cheaper, most people are not gonna fork out an extra 20-30 euros for FTTH when they already have 360meg VM or 100meg FTTC. Uptake is gonna very low for FTTH in urban areas for several more years (especially if VM go to FTTH style speeds soon and FTTC gets upgraded).

Advertisement