Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

jca wrote: »
    I had a very dejected VF sales guy at the door last night, everyone's gone to VM he didn't get a bite all day.
    There is a lot of very determined front jumping by companies going on. In Balbriggan, I've had VF call to the door four times since VM starting wiring the estate. VM will have very little left whenever they finish (unless it's 18 months from now :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Gonzo wrote: »
    and this is why I think rolling out FTTH to towns that already have Virgin Media and FTTC is a bit of a waste (for now). Those services are cheaper, most people are not gonna fork out an extra 20-30 euros for FTTH when they already have 360meg VM or 100meg FTTC. Uptake is gonna very low for FTTH in urban areas for several more years (especially if VM go to FTTH style speeds soon and FTTC gets upgraded).

I think fttc is at its limit technologically and has been a major disappointment to many people. The only thing that would entice me away from VM would be ftth at a competitive price which I can't see happening now that VM is available. I agree with you that it's a waste and I think the providers are finding this out too.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Hey Paul, would you mind telling us what's the deal with symmetrical bandwidth/dedicated internet access other Siro provider's are advertising? What's that about? I emailed siro directly not too long ago, enquiring about the said above, and they said they'd be offering both symmetric (directed to business customers) and asymmetric ( directed to home customers, through Gpon technology) services. Would you happen to know anything about that by any chance? Would you be offering the same service?
    The symmetric services won't be available from day one, as far as I'm aware, but should be available fairly soon. When the products are available, we'll be selling them. I don't have any idea on pricing yet, I'm afraid.
    But it does include Westnet "in time for Christmas" if you believe what they say.
    Yeah, that's not going to happen, I'm afraid. The best laid plans, and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

The symmetric services won't be available from day one, as far as I'm aware, but should be available fairly soon. When the products are available, we'll be selling them. I don't have any idea on pricing yet, I'm afraid.

Yeah, that's not going to happen, I'm afraid. The best laid plans, and all that...

It's extremely refreshing to see honesty from one of the company reps on here. If this question was asked of Vodafone or Eir or Three we would be getting the party line of its all on track jack, no need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

It's extremely refreshing to see honesty from one of the company reps on here. If this question was asked of Vodafone or Eir or Three we would be getting the party line of its all on track jack, no need to worry.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

jca wrote: »
    I think fttc is at its limit technologically and has been a major disappointment to many people. The only thing that would entice me away from VM would be ftth at a competitive price which I can't see happening now that VM is available. I agree with you that it's a waste and I think the providers are finding this out too.

FTTC can be upgraded to 300 megs using g.fast, and much higher than that within 100 meters. It's up to Eir to make that happen tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FTTC can be upgraded to 300 megs using g.fast, and much higher than that within 100 meters. It's up to Eir to make that happen tho.

Its not nearly that simple. New line cards, new CLFMP, cabs aren't in close proximity for 70-90% of end users.

If we see GFast itll be from poles and a horrible waste of money when it'll last 3yrs and FTTH will last 30. We might see a tiny bit, but not in areas that have FTTC already.

Now, back on topic...

Who lives within 100m of a cab? Practically no one in my experience. The cabinet I was on hasn't a premises within 200m never mind getting within the magic 100m boundary. Ironically I was talking to someone recently who can see the cabinet in his next door neighbours garden so he was delighted to sign up to fttc with VF. They had to lower him to a 70/20 profile saying the signal was too strong( their words, not mine). Yep fttc is a lame duck, stop gap measure imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

Well, I'm not sure what to think about it, but, November 11 Siro announced that build is complete in Skibbereen and available to buy from Vodafone.

So here is the approximate area where you can actually order it (according to Siro map) : http://i.imgur.com/scfe9Wf.png

Should i mention that this area can get decent connection from Eir already?

Waiting few days now for answer from siro if they planning to connect more houses in Skib, no luck.

Unfortunately it looks like FALC0NR15 was right. Being in grey area not necessarily means that you will get it.

Can someone explain, why they bother to wire up most of the town and then connect such a small area? how does it looks like in other towns?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

urgash wrote: »
    Well, I'm not sure what to think about it, but, November 11 Siro announced that build is complete in Skibbereen and available to buy from Vodafone.

So here is the approximate area where you can actually order it (according to Siro map) : http://i.imgur.com/scfe9Wf.png

Should i mention that this area can get decent connection from Eir already?

Unfortunately it looks like FALC0NR15 was right. Being in grey area not necessarily means that you will get it.

Can someone explain, why they bother to wire up most of the town and then connect such a small area? how does it looks like in other towns?

Perhaps if they wired up most of the town they plan to go live in more areas later. A bit like Eir's first live, perhaps the green area is the first area to go live.

From what I've read here most other towns are similar. Siro are only rolling out to areas that already have great fiber connections which is really gonna make sales difficult. In one of the towns, a poster said that Siro rolled out to an area heavily covered by Virgin Media and Siro's reseller, Vodaphone couldn't even get a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

The green area is made by me and it's live now, as i said it's approximate area,I checked the address one by one that has "available" status on the Siro map.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Perhaps if they wired up most of the town they plan to go live in more areas later. A bit like Eir's first live, perhaps the green area is the first area to go live.

From what I've read here most other towns are similar. Siro are only rolling out to areas that already have great fiber connections which is really gonna make sales difficult. In one of the towns, a poster said that Siro rolled out to an area heavily covered by Virgin Media and Siro's reseller, Vodaphone couldn't even get a sale.

If they get little or no sales and subsequently do not get any of the NBP contracts, they will easily be able to withdraw from providing the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

In one of the towns, a poster said that Siro rolled out to an area heavily covered by Virgin Media and Siro's reseller, Vodaphone couldn't even get a sale.

Vm customers seem be be quite angry about the January increase. If they were smart they'd capitalise on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Vm customers seem be be quite angry about the January increase. If they were smart they'd capitalise on that.

+1 to that. People are furious. I was talking to one man today who has been a customer for over thirty years. His sole reason for leaving was this years TWO price increases.

Utter stupidity on VM's behalf.

7upfree wrote: »
    +1 to that. People are furious. I was talking to one man today who has been a customer for over thirty years. His sole reason for leaving was this years TWO price increases.

Utter stupidity on VM's behalf.

even more stupid when you consider Virgin Media lost the following since switching on the magic:

1 - UTV Northern Ireland (proper ITV). Replaced by UTV Ireland.
    2 - Setanta Sports 1 (now Eir Sports) Replaced by Sky Sports Mix.
    3 - BT Sports 1, not replaced
    4 - BT Sports 2, not replaced
    5 - BT Sports 3, not replaced

They are still great as a broadband provider tho.

even more stupid when you consider Virgin Media lost the following since switching on the magic:

1 - UTV Northern Ireland (proper ITV). Replaced by UTV Ireland.
    2 - Setanta Sports 1 (now Eir Sports) Replaced by Sky Sports Mix.
    3 - BT Sports 1, not replaced
    4 - BT Sports 2, not replaced
    5 - BT Sports 3, not replaced

They are still great as a broadband provider tho.

Sports don't bother me tbh. Correct me if I'm wrong but none of the carriers have UTV do they? At least VM have itv 2,3 & 4

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

A couple of weeks away from moving house and there's lads outside my current house right now laying fibre for Siro. Bloody typical :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FlappyCake

Im gettin siro in a couple days and was wondering about the setup, anyone who currently has siro help we with this ? I heard that there will be a white box installed in my house, am i able to chose where it goes ? And from the white box it will be connected to my router or is there anything else in between ? Thanks!

Optical cable in--ONT(White box)--Router. The cable in between is just a short patch (ethernet).

Where it goes depends on how your house is being fed. If the duct is free itll be near your ESB meter. If not it can vary. Speak to the installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FlappyCake

ED E wrote: »
    Optical cable in--ONT(White box)--Router. The cable in between is just a short patch (ethernet).

Where it goes depends on how your house is being fed. If the duct is free itll be near your ESB meter. If not it can vary. Speak to the installers.

Ye cool, that Fibre patch cable do you know if its LC to LC, SC to SC or LC to SC etc ?

• Advertisement

With OpenEir its an SC on the fibre drop, havent seen SIROs.

If you're planning on moving the ONT be aware that service techs will be within their right to walk away from problems until its moved back should they arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The ESB were uprgrading cables around my way in Sligo yesterday. Neighbour that chatted them said it was for SIRO. I'm with VM at the minute and though the service is reliable the incessant price creep is beginning to grate. Nice to have some options at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

SIRO and BT Ireland have signed a network agreement. It could lead to more resellers coming on board.

http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/siro-bt-announce-network-agreement/

SIRO and BT Ireland have signed a network agreement. It could lead to more resellers coming on board.

http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/siro-bt-announce-network-agreement/

What am I missing?
    With over 40,000 premises passed in 17 towns, SIRO is Ireland’s largest Fibre-to-the-Building (FTTB) operator.
    SIRO service is live in 9 towns

So, as I interpret that, fibre is strung out passing some 40k premises in 17 towns, of which only 9 have any element live.

It is VERY noticeable that no figures for physical connections to premises is ever given.

My interpretation is that this number would be very small indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

What am I missing?

So, as I interpret that, fibre is strung out passing some 40k premises in 17 towns, of which only 9 have any element live.

It is VERY noticeable that no figures for physical connections to premises is ever given.

My interpretation is that this number would be very small indeed.

That is what I interpret it as also. Between them and Openeir they claim to have 80000 premises passed. I wonder are there even 10000 live connections?

That is what I interpret it as also. Between them and Openeir they claim to have 80000 premises passed. I wonder are there even 10000 live connections?

I would expect only a fraction of that, TBH.
    eir have not yet got to the mass connection phase of their initial blue-line roll out ...... should be soon.

I'd expect 6 months time that Eir will have a much higher percentage of actual FTTH connections compared to Siro.

The potential Siro customer currently either has the higher end of FTTC speeds or Virgin Media

The potential Eir customer currently has dongles, classic ADSL or nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

They were digging up the road outside Portlaoise Prison last night, I passed by at around 10:00pm and they had spotlights up and running.

Early Jan 2017 is the word for Portlaoise according to the newspapers..

Gigabyte internet speeds in Portlaoise,, who would have thought that a few years ago ?

satguy wrote: »
    Gigabyte internet speeds in Portlaoise,, who would have thought that a few years ago ?

You're 8x too fast there bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

ED E wrote: »
    You're 8x too fast there bud.

Gigabyte internet

Gigabit ,, yes ,,

Advertisement