Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'd expect 6 months time that Eir will have a much higher percentage of actual FTTH connections compared to Siro.

The potential Siro customer currently either has the higher end of FTTC speeds or Virgin Media

The potential Eir customer currently has dongles, classic ADSL or nothing at all.

The pricing of eir ftth aka extreme broadband 150 is €70 per month including unlimited uk calls for 150Mb/s, and then jumps to €90 for 1Gb/s.

Vodafone offers 350Mb/s for €55 without phone, most people have unlimited calls on their mobile and don't want a landline.
    Digiweb resell Siro 150Mb for €45 without phone, €55 with unlimited UK landline and mobile calls.

To me it seems that eir are putting their ftth at an unattractive price point at the moment to push people to fttc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mgit wrote: »
    To me it seems that eir are putting their ftth at an unattractive price point at the moment to push people to fttc.

Eir will always be more expensive than anyone else. Not sure they are doing that to push FTTC as FTTH is mostly going where there is crap/no internet.

Eir also do FTTH only options which are 20 euros cheaper than the 150/300/1000 packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eir will always be more expensive than anyone else. Not sure they are doing that to push FTTC as FTTH is mostly going where there is crap/no internet.

Eir also do FTTH only options which are 20 euros cheaper than the 150/300/1000 packages.

are these advertised on eir website?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mgit wrote: »
    are these advertised on eir website?

no, you have to select broadband only and deal only shows up if your premises is already enabled for FTTH, otherwise it just shows FTTC broadband only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

We really shouldn't be getting so hung up on price.

If Eir and siro can do what they say and plan to do, Ireland will have one of the fastest and best connected infrastructures in the world.

I often hear people say "oh, if I could get fibre I'd pay whatever they wanted" when in reality people are still not prepared to pay more than €50 it seems.

The price will eventually drop. I would be more than happy to pay €100 for 1gbps connection.

Most of us here are on this forum long enough to remember just 5 years ago none of this was on the table, VDSL was just a trail in Ennis (or was it Shannon?). We (Ireland) have made massive progress. I find it far easier to find a decent internet connection when out and about in this country than any other country. We really do not have it too bad compared to other places. I am saying this as someone stuck on mobile broadband in a rural area.

• Advertisement

We really shouldn't be getting so hung up on price.

If Eir and siro can do what they say and plan to do, Ireland will have one of the fastest and best connected infrastructures in the world.

I often hear people say "oh, if I could get fibre I'd pay whatever they wanted" when in reality people are still not prepared to pay more than €50 it seems.

The price will eventually drop. I would be more than happy to pay €100 for 1gbps connection.

Most of us here are on this forum long enough to remember just 5 years ago none of this was on the table, VDSL was just a trail in Ennis (or was it Shannon?). We (Ireland) have made massive progress. I find it far easier to find a decent internet connection when out and about in this country than any other country. We really do not have it too bad compared to other places. I am saying this as someone stuck on mobile broadband in a rural area.

While that is true, most of the visitors on this forum like yourself have been stuck on the same connection for over a decade. There is still a large percentage of the population unable to avail of usable fixed line access and instead use dongles, wireless operators and satellite.

My own connection isn't the worst, at nearly 9megs but it's far from perfect and cannot wait to eventually hopefully finally have FTTH at some stage during 2017. FTTH is not cheap, but I'll be cutting other expenses in order to pay for it when it does arrive! I won't be sorry waving goodbye to DSL!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

O boy, moved to Ireland 12y ago (actually the plan was to stay for a month for holidays), I was a bit surprised when the only connection i could get was ISDN-BRI it's called i think. I had to talk to neighbours to keep ringing "Eircom" and ask them about broadband connection, it was in small village called Leap in west cork :)

Few years after (2 years i think) Leap got broadband connection!

But since then i'm stuck with ADSL even tho i am living in town where Eir and Siro rollout is completed... it's not bad compare to oneway sattelite connection i had :D anytime my latency goes up because of the youtube on the other devices i am reminding myself about those days with oneway sattelite $@#^%@*

Anyways, for me, swapping to FTTH will be actually cheaper, because of the fact that there's no need for paying line rental, who need telephone line these days? 12MB ADSL2+ is costing me nearly 75€ changing it for 350 Mbps FTTH from Vodafone could save me 20 quid a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Does SIRO intend to connect every home with an electrical connection? Is that the goal, long term. I'm relying on mobile/wimax broadband for the last 9 years. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

cabledude wrote: »
    Does SIRO intend to connect every home with an electrical connection? Is that the goal, long term. I'm relying on mobile/wimax broadband for the last 9 years. :-(

IF they win all or part of the Nat Broadband Scheme then they will string fibre along with the power lines to homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Living in an estate of 120 houses in wexford and eir skipped by us for all forms of fibre broadband max we can get is 5meg.

A few weeks ago the estate next to us get a letter saying the electricity will be disconnected for a day while they prepare for sirocco I got excited then the week after us the estate after ours get a letter and they working on that one now.

For fek sake.

• Advertisement

IF they win all or part of the Nat Broadband Scheme then they will string fibre along with the power lines to homes.
    It would be a game changer for rural dwellers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

urgash wrote: »
    O boy, moved to Ireland 12y ago (actually the plan was to stay for a month for holidays), I was a bit surprised when the only connection i could get was ISDN-BRI it's called i think. I had to talk to neighbours to keep ringing "Eircom" and ask them about broadband connection, it was in small village called Leap in west cork :)

Few years after (2 years i think) Leap got broadband connection!

But since then i'm stuck with ADSL even tho i am living in town where Eir and Siro rollout is completed... it's not bad compare to oneway sattelite connection i had :D anytime my latency goes up because of the youtube on the other devices i am reminding myself about those days with oneway sattelite $@#^%@*

Anyways, for me, swapping to FTTH will be actually cheaper, because of the fact that there's no need for paying line rental, who need telephone line these days? 12MB ADSL2+ is costing me nearly 75€ changing it for 350 Mbps FTTH from Vodafone could save me 20 quid a month!
    Leap got FTTC from eir in June 2016. Was a great day in a part of the world with shocking broadband. This is a place that only got terrestrial TV for the first time in the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It would be a game changer for rural dwellers.

The National Broadband Plan when implemented surely will.
    Whether that involves SIRO or not remains to be seen.

The National Broadband Plan when implemented surely will.
    Whether that involves SIRO or not remains to be seen.
    But have we not already had a National Brodaband Programme? Where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Vanished into the ether after Three made a bags of the job:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

We had the National Broadband Scheme (NBS) which subsidised Three's mobile network rollout and was a terrible solution. This ended a coupla years back and left people with terrible connections, with even worse connections, as Three no longer had to meet minimum (and I mean MINIMUM) standards. :(

The NBP actually looks like it could be a proper job, but all the delays and thoughts of court cases make me nervous that it might get crippled. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

We had the National Broadband Scheme (NBS) which subsidised Three's mobile network rollout and was a terrible solution. This ended a coupla years back and left people with terrible connections, with even worse connections, as Three no longer had to meet minimum (and I mean MINIMUM) standards. :(

The NBP actually looks like it could be a proper job, but all the delays and thoughts of court cases make me nervous that it might get crippled. :confused:
    I think NBP will be alright with it being a open access network that allows fair access cost.I think Imagine and other wisps will probably try derail NBP but don't think they can at moment why can't they be like net1.I think siro will be good as a open access supplier with there partnership with BT it should be easy for wisps to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

http://imgur.com/a/gWPEm

I took some pictures of what KN have been doing around my apartment block.

In another part the shiny casing running vertically up the wall isn't as good, you can see around 20 ish single wires going up in it. Didn't take a pic of that one though.

The cable is a lot thinner than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

/\/ollog wrote: »

In another part the shiny casing running vertically up the wall isn't as good, you can see around 20 ish single wires going up in it. Didn't take a pic of that one though.

So they are cabling externally. Can I ask is that a large block, or duplexes?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

/\/ollog wrote: »

That last photo would hopefully be showing only a test connection with the green fibre sheath. Glad to see some heavy duty protection over the actual black armored FTTH connections back to the underground ODP. Mine is bare and runs up the side of the gable end of the house. Time to head to Kelly's and get some proper metal covering for it - would take very little to snip it at the minute.

• Advertisement

Christ, nothing on the Siro map, nothing on the Vodafone website, still waiting for answer from info@siro.ie (2 weeks) whether the service will be available in my area. But got a flyer from Vodafone yesterday evening into the doors saying that there is lightspeed broadband available in my area o0, i rang them and guess what? 20.12 someone will come to install the bloody thing :)

Happy out, bye DSL.

For the record: first works spotted 19.09.2016 Gaeltec wiring my estate. 08.12.2016 got the flyer from Vodafone, 09.12.2016 still no information by email, phone or websites (even tho I signed up for it) that i can order it. This flyer was the only source of information, so if you are waiting as i was, make sure you check your junk mail ;)

So it took them 2 months and 3 weeks from the first day of work on my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

9726_9726 wrote: »
    So they are cabling externally. Can I ask is that a large block, or duplexes?

It's a bunch of blocks. About 8 in every block and about 10 blocks all around a central parking area.

It's quite a rough area to be honest. Thinking of moving.
    PeadarB wrote: »
    That last photo would hopefully be showing only a test connection with the green fibre sheath. Glad to see some heavy duty protection over the actual black armored FTTH connections back to the underground ODP. Mine is bare and runs up the side of the gable end of the house. Time to head to Kelly's and get some proper metal covering for it - would take very little to snip it at the minute.

I've seen the van with the green and black thick cables parked over all the manholes for a good few hours over the past week. Dunno what it does tbh just seems to be sitting there with a stationery bunch of cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Hi all

Another aggregator has been signed up. I'm under NDA so I can't say anymore. Could be common knowledge for all I know, but basically expect man+dog to be offering FTTH in SIRO/Eir built areas in 2017.

Which is good....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Hi all

Another aggregator has been signed up. I'm under NDA so I can't say anymore. Could be common knowledge for all I know, but basically expect man+dog to be offering FTTH in SIRO/Eir built areas in 2017.

Which is good....

There are 2 aggregators in the country so given one has signed up you could have just said who it was!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭irishgeo

digiman wrote: »
    There are 2 aggregators in the country so given one has signed up you could have just said who it was!!!

be a brave person to break an NDA

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

I've seen the van with the green and black thick cables parked over all the manholes for a good few hours over the past week. Dunno what it does tbh just seems to be sitting there with a stationery bunch of cables.[/QUOTE]
    Splicing fibre.

I've seen the answer somewhere here but cant find it anymore :/
    Does Vodafone install only box with ethernet socket or they have router also?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

urgash wrote: »
    I've seen the answer somewhere here but cant find it anymore :/
    Does Vodafone install only box with ethernet socket or they have router also?

You get an ONT from SIRO and a HG659 Router from Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Has anyone an idea what the download limit is for the standard vodafone efibre package versus the siro package?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Pretty sure it's unlimited. Used to be 300gb per month

My bad, thought they'd dropped the limit

Advertisement