Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Has anyone an idea what the download limit is for the standard vodafone efibre package versus the siro package?

Thanks

300GB and 1000GB respectively.

http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/fixed/#lightspeedbroadbandfrom11jan2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

When I was on VF efibre I regularly hit 500+GB without incurring any extra costs.

jca wrote: »
    When I was on VF efibre I regularly hit 500+GB without incurring any extra costs.

It was unlimited for the longest time, then vodafone decided to limit it to 300gb/month for new contract.

They mustve given in to complaints, it's 1000 gb since 25th of March 2015 apparently.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/fixed/#home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It was unlimited for the longest time, then vodafone decided to limit it to 300gb/month for new contract.

They mustve given in to complaints, it's 1000 gb since 25th of March 2015 apparently.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/fixed/#home

They had to change it as their use of the word unlimited was falling foul of advertising standards. To market the product as unlimited, your fair usage policy cannot affect more than 1% of your customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Avada wrote: »
    They had to change it as their use of the word unlimited was falling foul of advertising standards. To market the product as unlimited, your fair usage policy cannot affect more than 1% of your customers.

Wasn't it someone on here that forced that clarification?

• Advertisement

Wasn't it someone on here that forced that clarification?

Yep, myself. I made a complaint to advertising standards authority

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Avada wrote: »
    Yep, myself. I made a complaint to advertising standards authority

It's a pity they weren't forced to advertise it properly and tell people the actual limit if there is one. This unlimited with a limit thing is just nonsense.

It's a pity they weren't forced to advertise it properly and tell people the actual limit if there is one. This unlimited with a limit thing is just nonsense.

Yeah, it is nonsense. You shouldn't be allowed to use the word unlimited unless it actually is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

The unlimited with a limit is nonsense but they've been peddlin' that ****e for a long time, remember getting throttled for going over the unlimited limit by BT back when they were a thing in 2007 - nearly 10 years ago. Hard to believe they are still getting away with it albeit on 1%. I made a complaint to the advertising standards authority at the time - as far as I can remember they told me it was ok for isps to do that, and that it wasn't a valid complaint must try and dig up the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Any sign of Vodafone marketing/selling the FTTP service in Sligo?

The whole town seems to be cabled, but no sign of any selling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

damienirel wrote: »
    The unlimited with a limit is nonsense but they've been peddlin' that ****e for a long time,

It is ridiculous. How can you sell something as "unlimited" - then introduce a limit??

Only in the is bloody country. Same with this "up to" rubbish for speeds. If someone pays, say, €50 a month for 50 megs, and you can only deliver 10 megs to someone else then the price should be reduced to €10 a month.

Imagine going into Dunnes and seeing them sell a jumper with "up to" two sleeves? Or a car dealer selling a car with "up to" four wheels?

Time to stop this nonsense once and for all and hit them where it hurts - financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi lads,

Just wondering if anyone is using Vodafone's flavour of Siro for business? If so any restrictions/caveats?
    R.

7upfree wrote: »
    It is ridiculous. How can you sell something as "unlimited" - then introduce a limit??

Only in the is bloody country. Same with this "up to" rubbish for speeds. If someone pays, say, €50 a month for 50 megs, and you can only deliver 10 megs to someone else then the price should be reduced to €10 a month.

Imagine going into Dunnes and seeing them sell a jumper with "up to" two sleeves? Or a car dealer selling a car with "up to" four wheels?

Time to stop this nonsense once and for all and hit them where it hurts - financially.

Unfortunately up to is how the copper works. It'd be more like a lucky bag having up to 50cent worth of sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

Typical, duct blocked, no Siro and no info when it's gonna happen. Happy christmass and happy new year lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

The up-to X speed isn't really an option as it's based on the laws of physics on copper telephone wiring and DSL technologies. You can only really advertise the headline rate - there's nothing unique about Ireland in that.

However, using the term unlimited for services that aren't limited is just completely misleading. It would he very interesting if it ever got taken to court. So far, nobody has ever done that - it's only been complaints to regulators. I would have my doubts that the practice would stand up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there is no service provider that's truly unlimited tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Gonzo wrote: »

Sky are and as far as I know virgin media are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

jca wrote: »
    Sky are and as far as I know virgin media are too.
    3 are not so bad for unlimited, we have the grandkids over and kodi has been a head saver, the fone has a data warning on at all times and i cannot remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

We had the National Broadband Scheme (NBS) which subsidised Three's mobile network rollout and was a terrible solution. This ended a coupla years back and left people with terrible connections, with even worse connections, as Three no longer had to meet minimum (and I mean MINIMUM) standards. :(

The NBP actually looks like it could be a proper job, but all the delays and thoughts of court cases make me nervous that it might get crippled. :confused:
    phat rabbit had the chance to make a proper name for himself, the usual labour i only care to get iw up and running finished that, if they put the same effort into the broadband set up we would have nothing to bitch about here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Munster Broadband are unlimited.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Munster Broadband are unlimited.

never heard of them till now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Magnet Business is, not sure about Residential.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

UPC and Virgin have always pushed heavy users onto the premium package, but once you're there usage is truly unlimited (Trust me, I've pushed it just to see).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ED E wrote:
    UPC and Virgin have always pushed heavy users onto the premium package, but once you're there usage is truly unlimited (Trust me, I've pushed it just to see).

That was the case but not since this: "From 25th February 2013, no limit on data transfer allowance will apply for customers of new Fibre Power Broadband products, except for customers of limited products with specified data transfer allowances"

what's the story with Eir's FTTH service, is it still limited to 1gig a month? I haven't heard of Eir charging customers who go over in years? It would only take 2 hours to break that download allowance with such speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

what's the story with Eir's FTTH service, is it still limited to 1gig a month? I haven't heard of Eir charging customers who go over in years? It would only take 2 hours to break that download allowance with such speeds.
    yea it still 1TB if it was 1 GB you be screwed :).

rob808 wrote: »
    yea it still 1TB if it was 1 GB you be screwed :).

I really meant 1TB:)

Haven't heard anyone getting warnings for going over. with such a connection it would be incredibly easy to go over.

I'm beginning to think 300 might be more realistic than going with the 1000 considering the data limit and not alot of services would make use of 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

I really meant 1TB:)

Haven't heard anyone getting warnings for going over. with such a connection it would be incredibly easy to go over.

I'm beginning to think 300 might be more realistic than going with the 1000 considering the data limit and not alot of services would make use of 1000.
    I would go for 300mb there no real use for 1Gb at moment with the download limit being 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

Anyone has idea how long it can take to get someone to fix the blocked duct?
    All i know from Actavo tech is that they need to dig my garden, and that was 20 December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

urgash wrote: »
    Anyone has idea how long it can take to get someone to fix the blocked duct?
    All i know from Actavo tech is that they need to dig my garden, and that was 20 December.

Might be quicker to do it yourself :)

Advertisement