Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Westport is now showing as available for Siro....

If the Westnet guys see this can you give us ordering info please?

Edit: Just sent Paul at Westnet a private message.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

I'm checking into this now (I'm actually out of the office at the moment). I'll update the thread shortly when I know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Westport is now showing as available for Siro....

If the Westnet guys see this can you give us ordering info please?

Edit: Just sent Paul at Westnet a private message.

when you click on the live logo , it goes into a page saying that the build has started.

irishgeo wrote: »
    when you click on the live logo , it goes into a page saying that the build has started.

Just looking at their crappy map, it has Westport in green and says now available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Just looking at their crappy map, it has Westport in green and says now available.

Not if you click on the green icon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭oisinmc14

Westport now "fixed" to black on the SIRO map now. Anyone have any idea how long it take for them to selling the product from now? 3 months maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I notice a lot of KN activity around Castlebar at the moment - hopefully that's related to the SIRO deployment. Not so good is that they are in the main street/Charles st area, so if that's only as far as they have got, it will be a long wait before they out to my area!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

If any of you is ahead of getting some techs to install Siro, I suggest to make sure yourself if there is a blockage in your duct, if there is blockage try to get rid of it, don't wait for techs! unless you're not in a hurry!

20 December 2016 techs found that there is a blockage in my duct, 9 January 2017 2 lads came to fix it, next appointment 27 January 2017.

Are they that busy? or they have like 3 vans per county?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I notice a lot of KN activity around Castlebar at the moment - hopefully that's related to the SIRO deployment. Not so good is that they are in the main street/Charles st area, so if that's only as far as they have got, it will be a long wait before they out to my area!!

Wouldn't have thought KN have anything to do with Siro as they're subcontracted to Open Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Geuze wrote: »
    Any sign of Vodafone marketing/selling the FTTP service in Sligo?

The whole town seems to be cabled, but no sign of any selling?

It's available in Maugheraboy so far. 150 / 350 / 1GB are the speeds available I believe.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought KN have anything to do with Siro as they're subcontracted to Open Eir?

They are definitely working for Siro.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oat23 wrote: »

They are definitely working for Siro.

Fair enough, hadn't realised the were working for both. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Yup KN working for Siro in wexford too.

oisinmc14 wrote: »
    Westport now "fixed" to black on the SIRO map now.
    Yup, looks like that was a temporary glitch on SIRO's part.
    Anyone have any idea how long it take for them to selling the product from now? 3 months maybe?
    We're hoping sooner than that, but can't say for certain just yet.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not exclusively. As an independent telecoms contractor, they can work for whomever they like. I'm pretty sure they are doing build work for SIRO in Castlebar.

Thanks Paul.

Any idea at all on when Castlebar and Westport will get going or what areas in the town's will be covered?

Nothing definite yet. Believe me, we're very keen to start selling these services, so as soon as we're in a position to definitively answer questions, we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Not exclusively. As an independent telecoms contractor, they can work for whomever they like. I'm pretty sure they are doing build work for SIRO in Castlebar.

Spotted a KN crew out beside my estate on Moneen Rd, Castlebar this morning, so stopped to chat and they confirmed that they are indeed running the fibre for Siro. And looks like they are covering a wire area, so not just town center. Fingers crossed for an announcement soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

SIRO have been in my estate in Dooradoyle, Limerick the past week installing cables. No mention of Limerick on their website yet. Seems a bit strange as they say they are concentrating on towns without decent broadband, but it's a suburb of Limerick city and we can already get fibre broadband (getting 80 Mbits/sec from Magnet).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Gadgie wrote: »
    SIRO have been in my estate in Dooradoyle, Limerick the past week installing cables. No mention of Limerick on their website yet. Seems a bit strange as they say they are concentrating on towns without decent broadband, but it's a suburb of Limerick city and we can already get fibre broadband (getting 80 Mbits/sec from Magnet).

Send them out my way, been on 1 meg the last decade ha

Out of interest is this technology standard in other EU countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

M!Ck^ wrote: »

FTTH using GPON is a ratified standard across the world including EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

I too am in Dooadoyle Limerick, as my neighbour above says tli have been in our area installing fibre for about two weeks, does anyone know the average lead time from when they first start work to actually having the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

digiman wrote: »
    FTTH using GPON is a ratified standard across the world including EU.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »

Its worth noting that if OpenEir hit targets for 2018 we'll be ahead of the pack for actually deploying it. Its the standard but nobody else is making Naughtens impossible promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

For anyone living in Ennis, Clare, I saw KN doing installations in the Gort Road, going out of town and they were up to Lidl's. I had a quick chat and the guy said it was SIRO. Sadly it make's no difference to me as I am waaayyyyyy out of town and he had no idea when they would be around my area (between Inagh andMiltown).

Frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

xii wrote: »
    I too am in Dooadoyle Limerick, as my neighbour above says tli have been in our area installing fibre for about two weeks, does anyone know the average lead time from when they first start work to actually having the product.

They started working in my block in November I think. Still don't have it.

It depends on how the network is when they wire you up though. Like if they do your area and work down the road to an area they did last week it'd be faster than if you're in the middle of two other builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

xii wrote: »

I knew there will be more like myself.

Page 224:
    urgash wrote: »
    Christ, nothing on the Siro map, nothing on the Vodafone website, still waiting for answer from info@siro.ie (2 weeks) whether the service will be available in my area. But got a flyer from Vodafone yesterday evening into the doors saying that there is lightspeed broadband available in my area o0, i rang them and guess what? 20.12 someone will come to install the bloody thing smile.png

Happy out, bye DSL.

For the record: first works spotted 19.09.2016 Gaeltec wiring my estate. 08.12.2016 got the flyer from Vodafone, 09.12.2016 still no information by email, phone or websites (even tho I signed up for it) that i can order it. This flyer was the only source of information, so if you are waiting as i was, make sure you check your junk mail wink.png

So it took them 2 months and 3 weeks from the first day of work on my estate.

It took a bit longer as my duct was blocked so I had to wait couple of weeks, tomorrow (27.01.17) is installation day.

Edit:

Actavo need to think about hiring more people for such big job..

They won't make it today, next appointment (4th) 31.01, Bye another day of my holidays....

Lucky me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Noticing these installations and they're running black cable along the brickwork in front of the homes.

Surely as people rely on outside coms to secure their homes this is a risk? Nest Cameras etc can be easily disabled with a snip of the cable.

Why are they completing such primitive installs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

MugMugs wrote: »
    Noticing these installations and they're running black cable along the brickwork in front of the homes.

Surely as people rely on outside coms to secure their homes this is a risk? Nest Cameras etc can be easily disabled with a snip of the cable.

Why are they completing such primitive installs?

I would see it more as cheap installs rather than primitive - they will most likely use the quickest/easiest route to install.

If people really care about security in terms of alerting or camera coverage, they should have other backup methods of alerts and recording camera footage. In terms of Nest, I would have thought there is a way to have Nest alert you if your camera went offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I would see it more as cheap installs rather than primitive - they will most likely use the quickest/easiest route to install.

If people really care about security in terms of alerting or camera coverage, they should have other backup methods of alerts and recording camera footage. In terms of Nest, I would have thought there is a way to have Nest alert you if your camera went offline.

Well awkward too when it's made easy for them.

They installed in mine today. I removed the cobbles from in front of the house and dug a trench out for them to use for me to backfill and relay the cobbles myself. Insisted that conduit needed to be used if going under despite it being a zero traffic area and me as the homeowner insisting.

Took a hell of a fight to get them to do it even though it was easier for them.

Can't imagine the nest could get word out if comms have been cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Check out this cable run in Tralee, at *step ladder height* not even soffit. I'm told by someone who lives there that there were no wayleaves, it was tacked across all the houses without warning while they were out. People are freaking. People who have VDSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Check out this cable run in Tralee, at *step ladder height* not even soffit. I'm told by someone who lives there that there were no wayleaves, it was tacked across all the houses without warning while they were out. People are freaking. People who have VDSL.

Makes me wonder what the legal situation would be if someone cut that cable ......

Advertisement