Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Yep that's surprising alright.

My phone... Surprising was meant to be "Siro"...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Makes me wonder what the legal situation would be if someone cut that cable ......

If that was placed across my property without my consent that's exactly what would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Check out this cable run in Tralee, at *step ladder height* not even soffit. I'm told by someone who lives there that there were no wayleaves, it was tacked across all the houses without warning while they were out. People are freaking. People who have VDSL.
    Makes me wonder what the legal situation would be if someone cut that cable ......

We'd have to ask the lads on LD but as they've no verge between the public road(path is part of the road) and their front wall that could be considered works on road furniture under CoCo permission. Maybe.

In cases like this anyway if somebody is pissed enough after their 4th time bringing out the splicing table they'll re route it.

Do we know who the residents have to thank for that worksmanship 9726?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

Check out this cable run in Tralee, at *step ladder height* not even soffit. I'm told by someone who lives there that there were no wayleaves, it was tacked across all the houses without warning while they were out. People are freaking. People who have VDSL.

I'd be very surprised if they did this without permission, leaves them wide open to action by a household in cutting it down and legal action by the council

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

ED E wrote: »
    We'd have to ask the lads on LD but as they've no verge between the public road(path is part of the road) and their front wall that could be considered works on road furniture under CoCo permission. Maybe.

In cases like this anyway if somebody is pissed enough after their 4th time bringing out the splicing table they'll re route it.

Do we know who the residents have to thank for that worksmanship 9726?

A guy I work with has it first hand from one of the residents on that row that there was certainly no wayleave sought, they just put it up. He thinks it was TLI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Could the clowns have tucked it up inside/under the gutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

At last.

6012707054.png

urgash wrote: »
    At last.

6012707054.png

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

we any nearer to a live date @ Westnet: Paul?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

At last.

6012707054.png

Is that actual Fibre?????????

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

irishgeo wrote: »
    we any nearer to a live date @ Westnet: Paul?

I think we're currently looking at April for both Castlebar and Westport. As soon as we have a firm timetable, don't worry: we'll be making a lot of noise about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

7upfree wrote: »

As apposed to?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it is, im just wondering what pack that is Vodafone does 350 and 1000.

Yes it is actual fibre on 350 Mbps package from Vodafone. I was surprised when lads from Actavo said that when you order it not by the phone but from your man who knocks the doors you can get 150 Mbps option to choose? wierd if it's true.

Anyways, fighting whole day with this Huawei HG659 and it just won't connect to the WiFi, sometimes it will connect but trying to obtain ip address even when i set up DHCP reservation for the device...

Does any of you has similar issue?

The only firmware update i found is on New Zealand Vodafone website o0, not sure if i can use it or not? current firmware on my router is: V100R001C172B029

https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Modems-Wi-Fi/Vodafone-HG659-firmware-update-released/td-p/187827

or

http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/24400/

Help :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Yes it is actual fibre on 350 Mbps package from Vodafone. I was surprised when lads from Actavo said that when you order it not by the phone but from your man who knocks the doors you can get 150 Mbps option to choose? wierd if it's true.

Anyways, fighting whole day with this Huawei HG659 and it just won't connect to the WiFi, sometimes it will connect but trying to obtain ip address even when i set up DHCP reservation for the device...

Does any of you has similar issue?

The only firmware update i found is on New Zeeland Vodafone website o0, not sure if i can use it or not? current firmware on my router is: V100R001C172B029

https://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Modems-Wi-Fi/Vodafone-HG659-firmware-update-released/td-p/187827

or

http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/24400/

Help :confused:

Why you trying to connect the router to WiFi?

My bad, i meant other devices like phones, TV etc. Just now I was able to connect TV via WPS, dunno for how long. Phones and tablets still trying to obtain IP even tho they have DHCP reservation.

I google it, it's a common issue on HG659, New Zealand Vodafone released new firmware to fix few issues, including wifi, but im not sure if i can use it here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

I wonder if this has been mentioned, but could you use your own router with siro?
    Does the HG659 have a bridge mode at least?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    I wonder if this has been mentioned, but could you use your own router with siro?

SIRO don't care; their problems stop at the ONT. It's up to the retailers whether to let you use your own router.

digiman wrote: »
    As apposed to?

Is it not symmetrical?

Is it not symmetrical?

Nope. That's a whole different type of product offering.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Nope. That's a whole different type of product offering.

Interesting.......

Gonzo wrote: »
    it is, im just wondering what pack that is Vodafone does 350 and 1000.

Fibre would have a ping time of 1ms usually.

Fibre would have a ping time of 1ms usually.
    Not necessarily. It depends what you're pinging, and from where.

I just pinged Google's INEX edge router from Castlebar. A very rough calculation suggests that it would take 1.4ms for that ping just to travel the intervening distance, which means a laws-of-physics minimum round-trip time of 2.8ms. Allowing for various forwarding delays in assorted routers and switches in between, the 4ms it took was actually pretty respectable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Not necessarily. It depends what you're pinging, and from where.

I just pinged Google's INEX edge router from Castlebar. A very rough calculation suggests that it would take 1.4ms for that ping just to travel the intervening distance, which means a laws-of-physics minimum round-trip time of 2.8ms. Allowing for various forwarding delays in assorted routers and switches in between, the 4ms it took was actually pretty respectable.
    Exactly, everything must obey the laws of physics, as fast as light is it still takes time to get from one point to another.

Expect GPON to have increased latency over its industrial counterparts as the OLT has to allocate timeslices to each ONT with active transmission. This innately means you have to wait for it to come around to you on the outbound leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

ED E wrote: »
    Expect GPON to have increased latency over its industrial counterparts as the OLT has to allocate timeslices to each ONT with active transmission. This innately means you have to wait for it to come around to you on the outbound leg.

But it should be as good or better than VDSL and such, right?

/\/ollog wrote: »

Better, from what I've seen.

/\/ollog wrote: »

Yeah, light is still faster than copper ;) (Thats not really the difference, its the modems+FEXT+INP etc that slow VDSL).

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Update on that terrace in Tralee where they flaked the cable run across all the houses at stepladder height.

Two complained and one has had the cable rerouted. You can see it going up the gutter and over the soffit, with a splice box either side. What a caper, surely easier to just do it right first time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

You think that's bad? A neighbour complained they never gave permission for any wires or some grey wee box to be attached to their house. The engineers arrived out again last week and pulled the wire from the entire street. I wouldn't mind but it was a far more tidy job than the one in that photo.

Advertisement