Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You think that's bad? A neighbour complained they never gave permission for any wires or some grey wee box to be attached to their house. The engineers arrived out again last week and pulled the wire from the entire street. I wouldn't mind but it was a far more tidy job than the one in that photo.

does the same neighbour complain about slow broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

irishgeo wrote: »
    does the same neighbour complain about slow broadband?

Slow or fast, it's a commercial service being offered for profit. The operators have no right to trespass and run cabling on people's property without their permission.

At a minimum, the householders should have been offered a payment, whether in cash or by way of a discount off the price of a subscription to the service.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Slow or fast, it's a commercial service being offered for profit. The operators have no right to trespass and run cabling on people's property without their permission.

At a minimum, the householders should have been offered a payment, whether in cash or by way of a discount off the price of a subscription to the service.

True but aren't the esb different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

irishgeo wrote: »
    True but aren't the esb different.

They have statutory powers with regard to the electricity network, I don't know if these would apply to fibre networks for broadband.

Even if they do, from their rights of way code of practice:

5.1 What is to be Wayleaved

All lines and all cables at all voltages crossing land which is not a public highway/ railway/ tramway should be wayleaved and a record of the wayleave kept for the life of the line.

All lines/ cables/ fixtures attached to walls or buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Qwertyr

Hi, new to this btw.
    Anyone know if its SIRO or eirs Ftth that there doing out on golflinks road in Ennis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Available where I am now. The offer sheet from Vodafone says 'Unlimited', and the person in their call center also said it's unlimited uploads/downloads when I called to ask about the price of 150MB (€45 p/m BTW).

I'm guessing it's still Unlimited* though so it's a no-go for me until that changes.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Available where I am now. The offer sheet from Vodafone says 'Unlimited', and the person in their call center also said it's unlimited uploads/downloads when I called to ask about the price of 150MB (€45 p/m BTW).

I'm guessing it's still Unlimited* though so it's a no-go for me until that changes.

its fair use policy is
    FAIR USAGE
    The fair usage cap for data usage on the Lightspeed Broadband Service is 1000 GB over the course of any given billable month. If you exceed the fair usage cap for data on more than two (2) occasions in any calendar year then Vodafone may terminate or suspend your Lightspeed Broadband Service. Vodafone will proactively contact you in advance of any suspension or termination.
    The General Terms and Conditions of the Vodafone Fixed Telecommunications and Broadband Service and the definitions therein shall apply. In addition the following words shall have the following meanings:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Comreg allow the word unlimited to be used when it only affects less than a certain percentage of customers.

The FUP is 1TB a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

You guy's missed the *. I know it's a TB. :)

Hey. Funny story. Siro is live at the block of flats next to me, and halfway up the block of flats at the other side.

I guess they didn't clear that blocked duct after all, or something fishy going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is that simply broadband? Rep was with me, where it goes back to 50 per month, after the 6 months. Same rate as I am on now, as also have unlimited calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

My dad (Wexford, Coolcotts/Newtown Road area) got a note from the esb saying that his there would be interruption next week while they do work to lay fibre. This is an area that eir did not get to when rolling out FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Deagol

Qwertyr wrote: »
    Hi, new to this btw.
    Anyone know if its SIRO or eirs Ftth that there doing out on golflinks road in Ennis?

Most likely Siro. I haven't seen anymore work on the Eir FTTH network for some time. They did a few estates and that seemed to be that, low hanging fruit I think is the phrase.

KN Networks have been rolling out fibre for Siro since late November. First around the substation on the Tulla road and since that in various locations around the town.
    Not sure when it's actually going to go live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Deagol wrote: »
    Most likely Siro. I haven't seen anymore work on the Eir FTTH network for some time. They did a few estates and that seemed to be that, low hanging fruit I think is the phrase.

KN Networks have been rolling out fibre for Siro since late November. First around the substation on the Tulla road and since that in various locations around the town.
    Not sure when it's actually going to go live though.

Eir have FTTH rolled out to Ballaghboy, Doora, Noughaval areas, and it is live.
    As I understand it, it is mostly FTTC that is in the 'few estates'.

Eir have FTTH rolled out to Ballaghboy, Doora, Noughaval areas, and it is live.

Sorry, you're plain wrong.

According to their own figures less than 13% of of premises can get FTTH in Ennis. I have spent quite a bit of time going through the places that can get it by entering numbers from estates and areas and as far as I can see it's estates built in the last 15 years almost exclusively. There are some exceptions but not many.

The numbers are; 13360 have access to FTTC, 1680 have access to FTTH.

Sorry, you're plain wrong.

According to their own figures less than 13% of of premises can get FTTH in Ennis. I have spent quite a bit of time going through the places that can get it by entering numbers from estates and areas and as far as I can see it's estates built in the last 15 years almost exclusively. There are some exceptions but not many.

The numbers are; 13360 have access to FTTC, 1680 have access to FTTH.

Wrong about what?
    According to your figures my statement
    is plainly correct.

Wrong about what?
    According to your figures my statement

is plainly correct.

No arguing with logic like that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

2 SIRO guys checking ESB ducts in my estate this morning in Balbriggan. Said they have finished Drogheda and are now moving to Bettystown and will start Balbriggan ( hopefully ) in late March .

Vico1612 wrote: »
    2 SIRO guys checking ESB ducts in my estate this morning in Balbriggan. Said they have finished Drogheda and are now moving to Bettystown and will start Balbriggan ( hopefully ) in late March .

Seems to take quite a while before they start quoting it? They've been working in Ennis since mid-November I think. Anyone have any guesses how long before they start actually offering it to the masses?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Seems to take quite a while before they start quoting it? They've been working in Ennis since mid-November I think. Anyone have any guesses how long before they start actually offering it to the masses?

As there has been no communications from SIRO for a few months now I am beginning to wonder. 51 towns by end of 2018, I am beginning to seriously doubt it. As for the guys checking the manholes they could be doing the Eir on it, as in only looking.

• Advertisement

It was around 3 months for the block of flats around me. Saw them working in November, might have been October and it's available to everyone around me since about last week sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well after all that, I can't get Siro yet, despite KN doing quite a bit of work in my estate, and the Siro network map showing available in my area. Seems some houses can get it, and some can't.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Have an engineer calling tomorrow to install VF FTTH - however I haven't received the modem in the post yet from Vodafone.

I have an old Huawei HG658C and an eircom Zyexl F1000 lying around. Would any of these work temporarily instead of the Huawei HG659?

sibersha wrote: »
    Have an engineer calling tomorrow to install VF FTTH - however I haven't received the modem in the post yet from Vodafone.

I have an old Huawei HG658C and an eircom Zyexl F1000 lying around. Would any of these work temporarily instead of the Huawei HG659?

Will the installer not provide the modem and set it up and check speed?

Will the installer not provide the modem and set it up and check speed?

Was advised by VF that it would be posted out and I should receive it a few days before the engineer calls. No sign of it and last person I spoke with said it could be a postal delay.

Just had a call from VF to say the engineer will bring the modem so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Just had a call from VF to say the engineer will bring the modem so fingers crossed.

What package are you getting? Stick up an aul speedtest when its up and running:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Was advised by VF that it would be posted out and I should receive it a few days before the engineer calls. No sign of it and last person I spoke with said it could be a postal delay.

That would be for OpenEir based services, they started insisting they werent going to manage CPE for the operators.

With SIRO that should still be the correct procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My brother recently had to order a replacement modem, mid afternoon call to VF, arrived the following day here in Co Limerick via registered post. We were surprised in arrived so fast so likely its delayed in the post.

• Advertisement

how many of with with vodafone fibre siro have latency problems? seems to be a lot of complains on their forums

Advertisement