Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

how many of with with vodafone fibre siro have latency problems? seems to be a lot of complains on their forums
    No problems here.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

jca wrote: »
    What package are you getting? Stick up an aul speedtest when its up and running:D

Installers called about 9.:30 this morning and it took about an hour to install. Didn't get much time to play with it as I had to go into work.

Went for the 350 package, getting that speed wired and about 80 mbs down wireless.

dFzKq3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

sibersha wrote: »
    Installers called about 9.:30 this morning and it took about an hour to install. Didn't get much time to play with it as I had to go into work.

Went for the 350 package, getting that speed wired and about 80 mbs down wireless.

dFzKq3.jpg

Nice, how much is it? I'm getting similar speeds from VM for €60 per month(37 upload)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

how many of with with vodafone fibre siro have latency problems? seems to be a lot of complains on their forums

Seems to happen only at night according to the Vodafone Community forums and even at that only to traffic outside of Ireland.

Problem seems to lie with their peering provider, Cable & Wireless - which is a Vodafone Group company.
    (Didn't stop them trying to distance themselves from the problem being down to a third party on their forum though!)

jca wrote: »
    Nice, how much is it? I'm getting similar speeds from VM for €60 per month(37 upload)

€40 for first 6 months and €55 for remaining 12 months of the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

Well, same here (West Cork). Results are joke...

London:
    6053142151.png

Dublin:
    6053146979.png

Paris:
    6053150531.png This one in particular.

I wonder whether people who have other suppliers than vodafone have exact same problem?
    Is it caused by poor Siro infrastructure or Vodafone messed up something?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

^^^^^^^^^^Lol, WTF^^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There was another thread about that Urgash, looking increasingly like C&W have a dead link/reduced capacity in the Irish Sea again. That being true itll go back to normal in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 foseco

Hi all

Does anyone know how far out of Cavan this is coming?

We live near Kilnaleck and struggle to get any kind of a phone signal. I've tried Rural Wifi and can just about get 3G in certain areas of the house but it's patchy.

I can't use Arden as they did a site survey and can't see their transmitter from our location.

Imagine aren't out here yet but I imagine, forgive the pun, that that will be the same.

I've looked at satellite broadband but would like a high/unlimited service due to streaming which is either impossible with satellite or very expensive.

We're with Magnet at the moment. Our line is capable of 24mb but max is 8mb and we struggle to achieve 3-4mb at the best of times.

Does anyone know of any other services in our area?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Deagol

foseco wrote: »
    Hi all

Does anyone know how far out of Cavan this is coming?

We live near Kilnaleck and struggle to get any kind of a phone signal. I've tried Rural Wifi and can just about get 3G in certain areas of the house but it's patchy.

I can't use Arden as they did a site survey and can't see their transmitter from our location.

Imagine aren't out here yet but I imagine, forgive the pun, that that will be the same.

I've looked at satellite broadband but would like a high/unlimited service due to streaming which is either impossible with satellite or very expensive.

We're with Magnet at the moment. Our line is capable of 24mb but max is 8mb and we struggle to achieve 3-4mb at the best of times.

Does anyone know of any other services in our area?

Thanks

I'd say no chance for the foreseeable future will you see SIRO out there. I'd be surprised if they even make the 51 towns they are supposedly targetting at the rate they're going.

Your assertion that your line is capable of 24mb, how do you know this? If you can only get 3-4mb on 8mb line, that would tend to indicate that a 24mb connection would get very roughly 12mb at best?

According to Openeir's map, fibre (FTTC) is available in Kilnaleck, Cavan. I presume you are not in the village itself? The good news is that Eir should be taking their FTTH out there by 2020 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 foseco

We were advised when we tried to sign up with Eircom that it was a 24mb line but only capable of 8mb. I know most companies overestimate their limits.

We live about 4km out of Kilnaleck towards Cavan. I saw they'd upgraded the Kilnaleck cabinet but checking the Eir website states we can't get it. Oh well, only another 3years to wait :-).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if you can see a green field near your home then you won't be getting Siro ever. They only operate in built up areas with at least several thousand people in the immediate area.

Eir FTTH or NBP is the only hope in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

foseco wrote: »
    We were advised when we tried to sign up with Eircom that it was a 24mb line but only capable of 8mb. I know most companies overestimate their limits.

We live about 4km out of Kilnaleck towards Cavan.

ADSL2+ means 24 Mbps beside the exchange, this speed decrease with distance so yours is about 8 Mbps max at 4 Kms. Struggling to get this might mean the ADSL rack isn't connected to the core fibre backhaul, which would have been installed when the exchange was upgraded for eir fibre/eVDSL/FTTC. The adsl rack may still be using an old radio link for backhaul which may be congested at times.

Our local exchange was upgrade for fibre last August, the adsl racks didn't go NGB (connected to the core fibre backhaul) until sometime in Dec but my brother who is a Vodafone ADSL subscriber has still noticed speed drops at times which puts us thinking the VODAFONE racks are still using the old radio link which is still in place.

Regarding your distance, at 4kms it's too far for hi-speed eVDSL fibre from the exchange, the limit being 1.5 or 2 kms depending on the vectoring status of the exchange. As posted previously your options are FTTH from eir within the next 18 months or so if you're on a blue line route or NBP if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭talla

We had the install in Letterkenny today, went with Vodafone. Getting full speed wired (approx 364 down) and getting decent enough speeds when in the same room using wireless, however once outside the room where the router is, the signal is terrible.
    Does the vodafone router supplied(huawei HG659) support bridge mode as would prefer to use my own router? I had a look in the admin of the router and cant see any option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The FTTH Council Europe is holding it's annual conference in Marseille this week. Yesterday they published their annual rankings of European countries for FTTH/B penetration. Yet again Ireland does not make the list. There are now 27 European countries ahead of us.

409423.PNG

European rankings

Global rankings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Looks like some TLI Group working on behalf of Siro today in Annacotty Limerick today.
    Hope they make it out the road to me - would love to see them give Eir a kickin'.

talla wrote: »
    We had the install in Letterkenny today, went with Vodafone. Getting full speed wired (approx 364 down) and getting decent enough speeds when in the same room using wireless, however once outside the room where the router is, the signal is terrible.
    Does the vodafone router supplied(huawei HG659) support bridge mode as would prefer to use my own router? I had a look in the admin of the router and cant see any option.

Have you thought about a TP-Link powerline extender?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Additional power cuts have been announced for the Ennis area this weekend.
    ESB Networks has already announced a planned power outage for the Turnpike area between 9am and 5pm, but now it says that residents and business on the Gort Road, between Ennis and Barefield, with be without electricity this Sunday.
    The company says the stoppages are to facilitate enhancement of the local electricity network and affected customers have been notified.
    ESB Spokesman Paul Hand says that crews will also be installing a fibre optic network in the area.

tv221 wrote: »
    ESB Networks has already announced a planned power outage for the Turnpike area between 9am and 5pm, but now it says that residents and business on the Gort Road, between Ennis and Barefield, with be without electricity this Sunday.
    The company says the stoppages are to facilitate enhancement of the local electricity network and affected customers have been notified.
    ESB Spokesman Paul Hand says that crews will also be installing a fibre optic network in the area.

Where did you get this information? I've looked but can't find anything on planned outages.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Deagol wrote: »
    Where did you get this information? I've looked but can't find anything on planned outages.
    http://www.clare.fm/news/additional-power-cuts-announced-ennis-area-weekend

• Advertisement

How does ESB not have this on their own webpages?! Never occured to me to look at a 3rd party site :mad:

Anyway, thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

talla wrote: »

If you're on the 5ghz network it will fall off rapidly as you walk away from the router. Try the 2.4ghz network and see how it performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

I would be very intrested to know if any sky q customer has Siro, does the mesh work, does the hotspot function of the q sliver and mini work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Warning long post.

Has anyone else had issues getting Siro installed. And I mean the actual technican coming out to install it.

My sister signed up by agent for Vodafone Siro at the begining of Feburary and was given the install date for the 15th. Well this story gets pretty weird

Vodafone and Siro called her both 2 days and a day before the install date to confirm the details and such. Wednesday came along and the technican called and said he was outside at the gate. Grand.

First thing he says when he sees the house is that he can't do the install. I mean seconds after getting there. He said he was NOT ladder trained.

My sister was a little shocked that they sent out an unqualified technican to install the service, and was a little confused he came with 4 sets of ladders on his truck. There are technicans that handle general tecnical stuff, but I honestly can't imagine Siro being installed without the use of a ladder.

After stating he couldnt do the install, and that the only other installer he knows also isn't ladder trained. He switched the issue to the fact he had down number 6 on his paper work (instead of the number 8), even though he had my sisters phone number, and her account number perfeclty. Her contract was posted out to her, so clearly they had the right address and confirmed everytihng perfecftly the day before hand. Also just to note number 6 would have needed a ladder as well as its the same type of house right next door.

Anyway, my sister got onto Vodafone and explained everything and was immediaterly told that shouldn't have happened and apologied for the issue and that he would note everything down and get it sorted and ring her back within 24 hours. Sadly that didn't happen. No contact from Vodafone at all.

I contacted Vodafone on boards, but after pm'ing them on Wednesday (when they asked), they have yet to respond. My sister rang Vodafone again today for an update, but was told by a great customer service agent the best idea was to cancel the install and sign up again and get another install date in a few weeks.(Seriously).

So not exactly sure what's going on with Siro installs. Funny enough my sister was told by the agent that signed her up: that the installers will use any excuse under the sun to not install the service, as they still get paid ether way.

Just checking if anyone else has had any issues getting this installed or something out of the ordinary. I'll be honest. Never heard of an installer not being ladder trained and yet still bring 4 sets of ladders with them and work alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This sounds like the monkey business KNN pulled at the start of the VDSL rollout for OpenEir. Turning up without keys to the cab, mixed work orders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

We had an outage in Ballybeg last week Friday, hope it's a good sign of fiber coming our way...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

xii wrote: »
    I would be very intrested to know if any sky q customer has Siro, does the mesh work, does the hotspot function of the q sliver and mini work.

Hotspot officially only works when you have Sky Broadband, does not work with any other provider (although there are creative ways of getting it to work but Sky will not troubleshoot any issues if you go the creative way).

The mesh will work once you keep your ISP router 5GHz channel outside channels 36-48. It works independently of your non-Sky ISP router.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Passed by the ESb substation beside Mangans off the Kilrush road today in Ennis. Planning permission signs for Siro are on the gate which is great news, hadn't seen them before, but dating back to July16. You can see the work being done there to set up the POP there. Also lots of trenching on the Kilrush road, don't know if it's for fiber or not but will check next week. Certainly looks like it could be although the pipes are quite large, about 1 foot diameter.......

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Passed by the ESb substation beside Mangans off the Kilrush road today in Ennis. Planning permission signs for Siro are on the gate which is great news, hadn't seen them before, but dating back to July16. You can see the work being done there to set up the POP there. Also lots of trenching on the Kilrush road, don't know if it's for fiber or not but will check next week. Certainly looks like it could be although the pipes are quite large, about 1 foot diameter.......

I wonder is some of that related to the work on that power interconnector coming in from Miltown Malbay road?

Fingers crossed it's all Siro though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

A question regarding the External Grey Plastic Box used in the installation, what is inside this is there a splice connection made here and then another one made on the inside box or is it just an empty box with the cable going through wall to the internal box. Anybody willing to open one up and take a picture.

Advertisement