Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

I think it says on the box "WARNING! laser beam inside" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Power was out today on our road for Siro work. Hurry up and start selling it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

In relation to an apartment block with 16 units that is SIRO enabled, what kind of drilling etc are they going to have to do to get the cables/ boxes into those units who want it? I'm asking as I'm on a management company that may come under pressure if it's an untidy job on common area walls. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

gebbel wrote: »
    In relation to an apartment block with 16 units that is SIRO enabled, what kind of drilling etc are they going to have to do to get the cables/ boxes into those units who want it? I'm asking as I'm on a management company that may come under pressure if it's an untidy job on common area walls. Thanks.

I know the outside job is fairly clean where I am. Couldn't tell you about the inside since my block is the only one around me which can't get it despite me watching them cable the building up.

Is your property in Letterkenny by chance? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi guys,

We're getting Vodafone Simply Broadband for Business LightSpeed 1GB installed soon.

However the run from where the installers wish to terminate inside the building to our comms room is well over 100m, which rules out Cat6 unless we stick a repeater in. We'd rather not go with this solution.

So I was thinking of running fibre from the comms room to the Voda kit.
    My question is, does the Vodafone kit have a fibre out port? Or do they only allow you onwards via copper?

Contacted the sales guy but he couldn't answer the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 fr0zen

Hey, I had a vodafone sales rep at my door telling me about SIRO and how it was coming soon, how long after the sales reps are around does actual work begin?

Thankss

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To move it optically you could:
    A. Run EthMediaCovnerter -> ~100m of glass -> EthMediaCovnerter -> Router
    B. Move their ONT (breaking all service arrangements from SIRO techs most likely) and use an optical M2F connector

I'd be more inclined to run a duct, string it up and ask the installers to just use that. One would hope they'd be accommodating.

Roen wrote: »
    Hi guys,

We're getting Vodafone Simply Broadband for Business LightSpeed 1GB installed soon.

However the run from where the installers wish to terminate inside the building to our comms room is well over 100m, which rules out Cat6 unless we stick a repeater in. We'd rather not go with this solution.

My question is, does the Vodafone kit have a fibre out port? Or do they only allow you onwards via copper?

Contacted the sales guy but he couldn't answer the question.

Can't you ask the installer to move the ont closer?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Can't you ask the installer to move the ont closer?

Not an option unfortunately. We are not the building owners, so it's not the installers call on what can go where.
    ED E wrote: »
    To move it optically you could:
    A. Run EthMediaCovnerter -> ~100m of glass -> EthMediaCovnerter -> Router
    B. Move their ONT (breaking all service arrangements from SIRO techs most likely) and use an optical M2F connector

I'd be more inclined to run a duct, string it up and ask the installers to just use that. One would hope they'd be accommodating.

Again unfortunately we can't run ducting due to the building situation. It's a push running a single loose cable as it is. Can't see why they are being sticky. Having fibre in to a building would surely make the place more attractive for the next tenants in. Especially considering the region is not overly blessed with connectivity.

Cheers for the suggestion. Looks like your converters may be the only way to make this fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tell them their property will raise in value by at least 3%. Thatll change the owners mind quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Is this an apartment block where apartments have different owners and the common areas are under control of an OMC?

jd wrote: »
    Is this an apartment block where apartments have different owners and the common areas are under control of an OMC?

Nope, single tenant office building, non residential.

ED E wrote: »
    Tell them their property will raise in value by at least 3%. Thatll change the owners mind quite quickly.

Or not as it would turn out. Any basic changes to improve on the existing structure, or services to it are resisted or are point blank denied.
    At the end of the day I think we need improved services more than they need x%.

Or not as it would turn out. Any basic changes to improve on the existing structure, or services to it are resisted or are point blank denied.
    At the end of the day I think we need improved services more than they need x%.

Exactly. If building a has gigabit and building b has 90mbit, which building does the next upstart choose?

A of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Anyone have any indication on when areas of rural Wexford will be connected? I know Eir have a site outlining timelines. Do SIRO have one?

EDIT- Have looked at SIRO.ie rollout map. Its crap

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cabledude wrote: »
    Anyone have any indication on when areas of rural Wexford will be connected? I know Eir have a site outlining timelines. Do SIRO have one?

EDIT- Have looked at SIRO.ie rollout map. Its crap

probably never unless they win part of the NBP and if they do you'll be waiting a while. Siro have zero interest in rural areas. Eir's FTTH rollout and Imagine's LTE wireless products is the only hope for rural areas in the short to medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Hi guys,

By repeater do you mean just a switch or a hub?

long_b wrote: »
    By repeater do you mean just a switch or a hub?

A switch yes. Would there be any issues with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

are we any closer in castlebar to launch westnet paul?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

irishgeo wrote: »
    are we any closer in castlebar to launch westnet paul?

was just going to post same question, beat me to it!

After a flurry of activity in January with KN crews out and about, it seems to have gone all quiet - I've not seen a KN van around for weeks now, so getting worried!!!

I also DM'ed Siro a few weeks ago asking for a status - no response so far.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

I still don't have anything definite, sorry. Nobody wishes more than I do that we had some good news to share with you, but until we do, I'll have to keep disappointing you.

As soon as SIRO give us something we can share, we'll be only too happy to share it.

I still don't have anything definite, sorry. Nobody wishes more than I do that we had some good news to share with you, but until we do, I'll have to keep disappointing you.

As soon as SIRO give us something we can share, we'll be only too happy to share it.

Thanks for the update.

I see a lot of metal esb poles installed ready for cables to switched over from the wooden poles. I wonder is that siro related?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

I see a lot of metal esb poles installed ready for cables to switched over from the wooden poles. I wonder is that siro related?

No idea. We're not really involved at that level.

No idea. We're not really involved at that level.

I was asking in general to the forum. But thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thanks for the update.

That was done here in Enniscorthy last year but nothing since. I think it's running out of steam. I think they'll find it difficult to gain a foothold in a lot of places like Enniscorthy with increasing competition from eir fttc and virgin media, even the likes of permanet are giving decent speeds now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I was asking in general to the forum. But thanks for the reply

They updated alot of the poles around wexford town also where they are putting new cables. It looks like they are mostly replacing poles that are not up to carrying additional weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I'm hearing stories of people unhappy with the SIRO hardware/cabling etc. outside their homes. In one case, a friend of mine cancelled their order when the engineer explained what he had to do. She didn't want an ugly box and unsightly cables at the front of her house. I'm personally involved in an apartment complex management company where we are very concerned about this issue. We are aware of another management committee who were also very unhappy.

Can anyone inform me if the SIRO installation involves unsightly boxes and cabling that has the potential to leave people unhappy afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Any ping times and tracerts from installs in the letterkenny area? I can finally order siro but want to see if it's any improvement on efibre regarding latency...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭talla

jimmad wrote: »
    Any ping times and tracerts from installs in the letterkenny area? I can finally order siro but want to see if it's any improvement on efibre regarding latency...

Not really a comparable product with the Eir FTC, on a different planet.
    With eir ebfibre, best we could get was 20 down, about 5 up.
    Had SIRO installed in mid Feb with Vodafone.
    Wired its about 8ms latency, 360 down (went for the 350 product), about 75 up.
    Wireless, its about 12ms latency, 220 down, 70 up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

jimmad wrote: »

Latency in my home in Dundalk on siro is consistently 4ms wired and wireless. Was about 12 when I got it first and then dropped to 4ms.

Advertisement