Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

2677791421.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

gebbel wrote: »
    I'm hearing stories of people unhappy with the SIRO hardware/cabling etc. outside their homes. In one case, a friend of mine cancelled their order when the engineer explained what he had to do. She didn't want an ugly box and unsightly cables at the front of her house. I'm personally involved in an apartment complex management company where we are very concerned about this issue. We are aware of another management committee who were also very unhappy.

Can anyone inform me if the SIRO installation involves unsightly boxes and cabling that has the potential to leave people unhappy afterwards?

If i was Siro i would happily not install broadband in this situation, unless the customer wanted to pay to have hidden wiring of course, then they might get an idea of the cost involved.

The added value to the property will be far more than any loss due to visible cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

I'm hearing stories of people unhappy with the SIRO hardware/cabling etc. outside their homes. In one case, a friend of mine cancelled their order when the engineer explained what he had to do. She didn't want an ugly box and unsightly cables at the front of her house. I'm personally involved in an apartment complex management company where we are very concerned about this issue. We are aware of another management committee who were also very unhappy.

Can anyone inform me if the SIRO installation involves unsightly boxes and cabling that has the potential to leave people unhappy afterwards?

Same people will probably moan about rural Ireland being left out of the digital economy. Can't win with some folks!

Hi

The majority of installs will have the siro fibre terminated at the esb box, one more box is hardly an issue. My install is extremely neat, no doubt the people complaining about thr boxes will be the same ones moaning about poor broadband speeds. BT were charging 2.5k+ in uk for ftth on demand installs that also have boxes on side or front of houses, think we should be happy to be getting a direct ftth connection with free install. In Australia the nbn put the boxes on outside of houses too so it seems to be a standard way of doing it. Its to allow them fix issues without entering the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

The latency issue is back for the last few days... 120+ outside IE
    I wonder, is it Vodafone issue only or any Siro reseller?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

urgash wrote: »
    The latency issue is back for the last few days... 120+ outside IE
    I wonder, is it Vodafone issue only or any Siro reseller?

Does a traceroute show where the latency is starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

We had siro around our estate for about 3 weeks back in November. I'm in Mullingar any idea when we are due to go live?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

oscarBravo wrote: »

From a previous thread it looks to be hitting CW, presumably in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

Yes it is CW

http://pastebin.com/0DnA1EcX

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

urgash wrote: »

Yeah, that'll be Vodafone-specific, so. SIRO hand off customer traffic to the ISP, who handle the routing from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

pm. wrote: »
    We had siro around our estate for about 3 weeks back in November. I'm in Mullingar any idea when we are due to go live?
    not sure, must be very soon as they added Vodafone as one of the providers only in the past 2 weeks on the Siro site, opening the link just opens a page to have VF call you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

lmimmfn wrote: »
    not sure, must be very soon as they added Vodafone as one of the providers only in the past 2 weeks on the Siro site, opening the link just opens a page to have VF call you back.

There was a Siro FB Video in my feed this afternoon saying it was now live in Mullingar but it seems to have been removed again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Deagol

http://www.vodafone.ie/home/broadband/lightspeed-broadband

3 towns are listed as 'Coming Soon', including Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

What's the general opinion on the performance of the top package? I have 360 vm atm and between 10am and just after midnight the speeds drop to as low as 20mbps

Yeah, that'll be Vodafone-specific, so. SIRO hand off customer traffic to the ISP, who handle the routing from there.

They seem to have resolved the issue with international speeds on Vodafone siro. Latency is around 16ms to london, or 23ms the Hague.

2705295709.png

2705297245.png

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Mgit wrote: »
    Hi

The majority of installs will have the siro fibre terminated at the esb box, one more box is hardly an issue. My install is extremely neat, no doubt the people complaining about thr boxes will be the same ones moaning about poor broadband speeds. BT were charging 2.5k+ in uk for ftth on demand installs that also have boxes on side or front of houses, think we should be happy to be getting a direct ftth connection with free install. In Australia the nbn put the boxes on outside of houses too so it seems to be a standard way of doing it. Its to allow them fix issues without entering the property.

Do you have a picture of the install inside the house? Just wondering how tidy they are when passing the cable into the house.
    My esb meter box would be in the middle of a wide wall so would probably be approx 1.5m to the nearest corner either side to nicely hide the cable.
    Is there a limit to the cable run into the house from the fibre termination box?

I'll be interested in getting siro when/if it comes my way. I've signed up for alerts from Vodafone and my town is under coming soon.

theShire wrote: »
    Do you have a picture of the install inside the house? Just wondering how tidy they are when passing the cable into the house.
    My esb meter box would be in the middle of a wide wall so would probably be approx 1.5m to the nearest corner either side to nicely hide the cable.
    Is there a limit to the cable run into the house from the fibre termination box?

I'll be interested in getting siro when/if it comes my way. I've signed up for alerts from Vodafone and my town is under coming soon.

Yeah sure see attached, my ont backs onto the meter box outside, I ran a cat 5e cable from the ont up to the attic myself where the i have a network switch for all network points. I patched the vf modem down to sitting room to get better wifi where I need it most, and also put an access point upstairs. I've also got Vodafone tv on it too.
    I notice some of my neighbours had them run a cable right around the house outside, and then into the sitting room though a hole in wall. I put in the hard work to keep it neat, this is an install that will prob outlast the house, or my lifetime, so it's worth the effort to do it right. Installers said the box outside must go within 2m of meter, then some flexibility from there to where cable goes into house, and placment of ont inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Hi just wondering when will Siro be available in Portlaoise?They seem to be finished wiring in my estate 2 weeks now.Also wondering what is Siro like?Im with Virgin media now on 240meg package and i get buffering on Rte player.Dont thing Virgin media as good as they say.Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

i assume these are cable splicing points on the poles in Ennis?

how can one determine the fiber path if at this point it would appear that the fiber goes underground into ducting, theres no overhead near my development, but this point is about 1.5Km away and the substation is only about 2Km away from my house, so i would assume that we are in the radius of homes passed?

pole.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Yeah sure see attached, my ont backs onto the meter box outside, I ran a cat 5e cable from the ont up to the attic myself where the i have a network switch for all network points. I patched the vf modem down to sitting room to get better wifi where I need it most, and also put an access point upstairs. I've also got Vodafone tv on it too.
    I notice some of my neighbours had them run a cable right around the house outside, and then into the sitting room though a hole in wall. I put in the hard work to keep it neat, this is an install that will prob outlast the house, or my lifetime, so it's worth the effort to do it right. Installers said the box outside must go within 2m of meter, then some flexibility from there to where cable goes into house, and placment of ont inside.

Thanks for the pic. I know someone who got it in and then out after a week because of the '2 big boxes' installed in his house..They look the same size, if not smaller, than the box Virgin install.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Thanks for the pic. I know someone who got it in and then out after a week because of the '2 big boxes' installed in his house..They look the same size, if not smaller, than the box Virgin install.

Wow, the lads at siro must be wondering why they bother. I would have charged for the install and taking out of the boxes and never allowed that owner to reapply for the service again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Mgit wrote:

If they want to apply that in my house they will never be installing here.
    My meter box is in a wall at the front, 50+ feet away from the house.
    They either bring fibre in through provided duct or they don't connect here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

If you have a choice of fibre it's all well and good, otherwise ...

If they want to apply that in my house they will never be installing here.
    My meter box is in a wall at the front, 50+ feet away from the house.

I'm sure they will be gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The roll-out is beyond a joke in fairness. False information form the get-go

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

ctlsleh wrote: »
    i assume these are cable splicing points on the poles in Ennis?

how can one determine the fiber path if at this point it would appear that the fiber goes underground into ducting, theres no overhead near my development, but this point is about 1.5Km away and the substation is only about 2Km away from my house, so i would assume that we are in the radius of homes passed?

pole.JPG

The pole outside my gate which my electricity supply is fed from has had one of these for the past month. Yet my eircode is still not showing as active on the rollout map. The estate behind me is. Vodafone telling me it is planned for my address but not yet available. Am I right in thinking that it would actually physically be possible to get connected but SIRO's database hasn't been updated for my eircode? As a single house on a road with just 5 houses, what are the chances they'll forget about us altogether?

The pole outside my gate which my electricity supply is fed from has had one of these for the past month. Yet my eircode is still not showing as active on the rollout map. The estate behind me is. Vodafone telling me it is planned for my address but not yet available. Am I right in thinking that it would actually physically be possible to get connected but SIRO's database hasn't been updated for my eircode? As a single house on a road with just 5 houses, what are the chances they'll forget about us altogether?

Yes map can be very out of date, email siro and they can confirm. They will give you a ref number to take to the reseller such as vf or digiweb if its available. Vodafone website checker is even more out of date, I know addresses live on siro site for months and vf website still says its not available.

Oat23 wrote: »

Hard to understand the logic there, a provider installs media capable of the the fastest broadband speeds in the world for free, and they ask for it to be removed because they don't like the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Hard to understand the logic there, a provider installs media capable of the the fastest broadband speeds in the world for free, and they ask for it to be removed because they don't like the box.

When you have people that dump dogs because they no longer match the colour of the new carpet in the house :mad: ... there's some very screwed up people out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Yes map can be very out of date, email siro and they can confirm. They will give you a ref number to take to the reseller such as vf or digiweb if its available. Vodafone website checker is even more out of date, I know addresses live on siro site for months and vf website still says its not available.

Thanks for that, will e-mail them now.

Advertisement