Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Obelisk guys wiring up parts of Wheaton Hall in Drogheda this week. The status is Rollout map has been "Work started in Drogheda, available soon" for many months at this stage, but now I can see that many parts of town have gone to "available" status.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

positron wrote: »
    Obelisk guys wiring up parts of Wheaton Hall in Drogheda this week. The status is Rollout map has been "Work started in Drogheda, available soon" for many months at this stage, but now I can see that many parts of town have gone to "available" status.

It's available now in Grange Rath according to their roll out map. Pity I'm stuck in a contract with Eir who don't seem too pushed about their own ftth roll-out

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Working in Portlaoise today. Galetec had power turned off on Borris Road today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Deagol

Ennis has gone to available status on the Siro website!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Deagol wrote: »
    Ennis has gone to available status on the Siro website!

They are rolling out on the tulla road, some addresses over there work. They are also about to rollout from the substation on college road, you can see the new cabin there and the poles around there have fiber deployed, I posted a pic last week or the week before on this thread. Hard to k ke how and where the fiber goes once they go into underground ducts, so maybe someone can comment on that and let us know if they mark the manholes etc.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Working in Portlaoise today. Galetec had power turned off on Borris Road today

One of the SIRO guys told me that Rinuccini will go live in two weeks.
    A day later his crew finished up in Rinuccini and moved round to Kilminchy.

So if you live near the Dublin Road in Portlaoise, you can expect good news soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

satguy wrote: »
    One of the SIRO guys told me that Rinuccini will go live in two weeks.
    A day later his crew finished up in Rinuccini and moved round to Kilminchy.

So if you live near the Dublin Road in Portlaoise, you can expect good news soon.

So that explains all the road works. Thought Irish water were back on the scene. Same thing was happening in Mountmellick a few weeks ago.

tiny timy wrote: »
    So that explains all the road works. Thought Irish water were back on the scene. Same thing was happening in Mountmellick a few weeks ago.

Yep.. Portlaoise, Stradbally, and Mountmellick.. underground.
    And some more rural parts of Laois via overhead Polls ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Free provision of siro broadband for businesses in siro areas.

Fibre broadband to launch with offer

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/fibre-broadband-to-launch-with-offer-35567287.html

Castlebar is on the list. Must be a mistake. Unless it's going live before the closing date of April 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Why do alleged journalists compare apples and oranges deliberately misleading the casual reader?
    Gigabit fibre broadband is approximately 10 times faster than the upper speeds available on Eir's efibre broadband.

In the context in which it is written this implies that 'Gigabit fibre broadband' is a specific Siro product as a comparison is made to Eir's efibre product.

The only reason there is no mention or comparison with Eir's Fibre-Extreme product is to mislead the reader.

This is disgraceful journalism, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

Or- "pay as you go" journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Or copy and paste from a SIRO press release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Sherfin wrote: »
    Or copy and paste from a SIRO press release

Or just $hite that should be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I see skytel/rocket broadband are also advertising Siro in wexford town, that means its under the name of Carnsore broadband and rocket broadband Siro for all the same product basically???

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why do alleged journalists ...

Indo is written by monkeys with keyboards, calling them journalists is giving far too much credit.

ED E wrote: »
    Indo is written by monkeys with keyboards, calling them journalists is giving far too much credit.

The indo ceased to be a credible newspaper when Dinny got his hands on it.

This network SIRO is building, is backed with big money, ESB put up about €250 Million and Vodafone did the same,, When Dinny got his network we all know how he got it.

So big respect to the two companies involved, It looks like it will be a good fit for purpose network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mgit wrote: »
    Yes map can be very out of date, email siro and they can confirm. They will give you a ref number to take to the reseller such as vf or digiweb if its available. Vodafone website checker is even more out of date, I know addresses live on siro site for months and vf website still says its not available.

How do I email siro?

Their twitter is run by someone who has no idea how to forward potential customers to get some help.
    http://nollog.net/MyBin/SIRO/
    read tweet1, then DM, then 2 and 3, then blocked.

I tried asking at a vodofone store, vodafone's phone support, and even stopped a KN guy doing siro stuff in the street, nobody will tell me.
    Been waiting over a month and a half to "get a phone call back" about it.

Say what you want about openeir, but they have a website and means to contact them outwardly visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

/\/ollog wrote: »
    How do I email siro?

Their twitter is run by someone who has no idea how to forward potential customers to get some help.
    http://nollog.net/MyBin/SIRO/
    read tweet1, then DM, then 2 and 3, then blocked.

I tried asking at a vodofone store, vodafone's phone support, and even stopped a KN guy doing siro stuff in the street, nobody will tell me.
    Been waiting over a month and a half to "get a phone call back" about it.

Say what you want about openeir, but they have a website and means to contact them outwardly visible.

On their website contact page there is an e-mail http://siro.ie/contact-us/. I e-mailed this, no reply after a few days so forwarded on again and had a reply with apologies in minutes (good news too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

On their website contact page there is an e-mail http://siro.ie/contact-us/. I e-mailed this, no reply after a few days so forwarded on again and had a reply with apologies in minutes (good news too!)

I've tried it before. The forward is a good tip, I'll try again.

Anyone got any idea what happens when the Electricity lines start to go underground and if KN/Siro mark the manholes or anything?......i see fiber on a pole about 1Km from my house, but the electricity goes underground from there and im wondering how to follow it to see if they are scoping in my development in the rollout, we're right on the edge from their map perspective........

anyone in a similar scenario and any giveaways/markings that you have seen? or any other relevant info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There was some discussion a while back on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100820999

My estate has ESB underground, and SIRO called to the residents to get wayleave for what is called a catenary cable across the front of the houses. Something which I read UPC did in the past. That was a few months ago and nothing happened since, and the address checker tells me it SIRO is not available. I think there are no houses like this with SIRO yet in Dundalk.

Whenever they are ready to do this process for your area I assume they will call to you and your neighbours.

There was some discussion a while back on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100820999

My estate has ESB underground, and SIRO called to the residents to get wayleave for what is called a catenary cable across the front of the houses. Something which I read UPC did in the past. That was a few months ago and nothing happened since, and the address checker tells me it SIRO is not available. I think there are no houses like this with SIRO yet in Dundalk.

Whenever they are ready to do this process for your area I assume they will call to you and your neighbours.

Thanks Dxhound,

I saw that before, but the last fiber pole is still over a Km away from my development, so lots of manholes in between and I'm not sure if they are definitely coming my way or not, so trying to figure out if there are any telltale signs........:also I'm on the edge of town so not in a densely popoulated area like those that needed the wayleave......

Appreciate any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Are we any closer Westnet Paul?

I know you might limited by what you can say?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

We're closer. :)

I still don't have firm dates, but there's a lot of work going on in the background. And yes, there are some limits on what I can talk about, as well as a limit to the information I actually have.

Keep the faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Finally able to order this. :) Anyone here on it? If so, how has it been for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Plenty of work happening in Mullingar, though they seemed to have stopped digging up the footpaths near my row of houses. Electric cabling is all underground. Any ideas why? Home is well within rollout area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

They're within 3 houses of mine today in Portlaoise stringing it up on poles but there's no direct pole to pole wires coming to me from there - I'm fed from the opposite side. It's tantalising to have it so near but I fear I won't be getting it. Does anyone know if there are accurate town maps available for where they plan to bring it. I'm just outside the grey zone on their absolutely terrible roll-out map of a country with no roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Liamario wrote: »
    Plenty of work happening in Mullingar, though they seemed to have stopped digging up the footpaths near my row of houses. Electric cabling is all underground. Any ideas why? Home is well within rollout area.
    Whereabouts in Mullingar did you see them digging( just an approximation of where )? I havnt seen any work yet except for Eir vans which obviously using Siro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Mullingar did you see them digging( just an approximation of where )? I havnt seen any work yet except for Eir vans which obviously using Siro

They've done the Dublin road side. Glenview Heights in particular is ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Liamario wrote: »
    They've done the Dublin road side. Glenview Heights in particular is ready to go.

As is All Of Patrick St,Ennel Court & Valley Bungalows

Advertisement