Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Finally available to order in Wexford!

Anyone know how much freedom the installers have in terms of cabling inside the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Liamario wrote: »
    They've done the Dublin road side. Glenview Heights in particular is ready to go.
    Thanks, I just saw a small Siro van pulling into Ardilaun this morning, first time I've seen one tbh.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

kmurph wrote: »

Anyone know how much freedom the installers have in terms of cabling inside the house?

Not much i think, i ask your man to move the box ( that i never heard of before that it need to be installed outside) more to the corner of the house (like 30 inches) and he said no, it has to be here... but maybe it depends who you deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Thanks, I just saw a small Siro van pulling into Ardilaun this morning, first time I've seen one tbh.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any logic in the locations that they've started with,

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

I tried ordering with Vodafone. Apparently their internal systems are down and they cannot place orders for "lightspeed broadband" since last week (something to do with how they schedule instalment dates). They said to call back next week.

Let me know if you have any success.

• Advertisement

Manc Red wrote: »
    I tried ordering with Vodafone. Apparently their internal systems are down and they cannot place orders for "lightspeed broadband" since last week (something to do with how they schedule instalment dates). They said to call back next week.

Let me know if you have any success.

I rang around 4pm this afternoon. The girl on the line did mention about their systems having problems, but she'd put the order through and call me back in a half hour to let me know if it went through.

She did call back and everything was fine, so placed the order and got an install date of May 8th :)

I rang around 4pm this afternoon. The girl on the line did mention about their systems having problems, but she'd put the order through and call me back in a half hour to let me know if it went through.

She did call back and everything was fine, so placed the order and got an install date of May 8th :)

Nice. I will try again.

Install date is a bit annoying tho.

Nice. I will try again.

Install date is a bit annoying tho.

I don't really mind. It's taken 14 years to go from the 512k that I had when I first got broadband back in 2003 to the 15 meg that I have now, so I think I can wait 3 weeks to go to 350!

Just ordered this today. Install date is next week. :)

For those of you who are on it, what are your thoughts on it so far? Do you get good consistent speeds?

Is the router still the Huawei HG659? If so, can this be changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Just ordered this today. Install date is next week. :)

For those of you who are on it, what are your thoughts on it so far? Do you get good consistent speeds?

Is the router still the Huawei HG659? If so, can this be changed?

As far as I know it is. Yeah the speeds are consistent but it's a shame about the modem. Seems to depend how you use your modem, a colleague at work has siro and the modem doesn't seem to crash. Think if the number of devices in house is large, or if you use torrent programs etc is causes it to hang. I have it on a plugin 7 day time to reboot each night so at least if I'm away I'll only miss limited TV recordings.

If you don't have Vodafone tv you should be able to change modem, although vodafone doesn't support it. Youll find info on boards how to configure the ppoe connection to make it work. You'll need to keep the Vodafone modem in case of a problem so you a plug it in and allow support troubleshoot.

I got an eircom f1000 modem working on my connection for Internet as a test, I couldn't get Vodafone tv to work though, it uses a secondary ppoe connection on a different vlan, tv still refused to connect after configuring this on my modem and I gave up. Let me know if you dont get a 659b modem as I'll chase Vodafone for an upgrade. I already had mine replaced to rule out a faulty modem.

• Advertisement

Mgit wrote: »
    As far as I know it is. Yeah the speeds are consistent but it's a shame about the modem. Seems to depend how you use your modem, a colleague at work has siro and the modem doesn't seem to crash. Think if the number of devices in house is large, or if you use torrent programs etc is causes it to hang. I have it on a plugin 7 day time to reboot each night so at least if I'm away I'll only miss limited TV recordings.

If you don't have Vodafone tv you should be able to change modem, although vodafone doesn't support it. Youll find info on boards how to configure the ppoe connection to make it work. You'll need to keep the Vodafone modem in case of a problem so you a plug it in and allow support troubleshoot.

I got an eircom f1000 modem working on my connection for Internet as a test, I couldn't get Vodafone tv to work though, it uses a secondary ppoe connection on a different vlan, tv still refused to connect after configuring this on my modem and I gave up. Let me know if you dont get a 659b modem as I'll chase Vodafone for an upgrade. I already had mine replaced to rule out a faulty modem.
    We didn't get TV. We already have Sky and it's not much cheaper over the 18 month contract anyway.

You can get an upgraded modem? Do you know which make/model it is?

Would this router work with Vodafone Lightspeed? Or would you have any better recommendations?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-C8-Wireless-Beamforming-Technology/dp/B00OZG8ZDO/

We didn't get TV. We already have Sky and it's not much cheaper over the 18 month contract anyway.

You can get an upgraded modem? Do you know which make/model it is?

Would this router work with Vodafone Lightspeed? Or would you have any better recommendations?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-C8-Wireless-Beamforming-Technology/dp/B00OZG8ZDO/

Once it has an ethernet Wan connection it sould work, think you should wait and see how you get on with vodafone modem first though. Will be less hassle if it's reliable for you. I get about 210Mb/s on wifi in same room as modem, and about 370Mb/s on wired which is more than enough. If you have a weak spot in house you might be best run a cable from vf modem and add a second access point rather than replacing modem.

I have house wired with cat 5e cables so everything is wired in except mobile phones and portable laptops. It's hard to beat a cable for reliability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Liamario wrote: »
    Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any logic in the locations that they've started with,

Afraid they only do the best houses first and the fact that you were downloading dodgy stuff over er com for years.

Once it has an ethernet Wan connection it sould work, think you should wait and see how you get on with vodafone modem first though. Will be less hassle if it's reliable for you. I get about 210Mb/s on wifi in same room as modem, and about 370Mb/s on wired which is more than enough. If you have a weak spot in house you might be best run a cable from vf modem and add a second access point rather than replacing modem.

I have house wired with cat 5e cables so everything is wired in except mobile phones and portable laptops. It's hard to beat a cable for reliability.

Yeah, will do.

Just as a side, what was the install like? If I recall correctly, it's brought up through the power line and then a box is installed beside your Electricity meter? Do they drill a hole into the wall from there and then put an access point inside? Do you know how far they can move the access point inside the premises?

Yeah, will do.

Just as a side, what was the install like? If I recall correctly, it's brought up through the power line and then a box is installed beside your Electricity meter? Do they drill a hole into the wall from there and then put an access point inside? Do you know how far they can move the access point inside the premises?

Install was very efficient, they actually called the day before install and had the Fibre pulled into a coil in metre box ready for next day install. Yes the box outside goes within a couple of metre box, and they drill into house and put another small box inside called an ont which needs power. I ran a cat 5e cable from there to my network switch and had modem located in attic initially beside that, then I patched it through to sitting room after. Think they will run cable on outside wall outside house and put ont a decent distance from metre box if needed. Seem to have done this for one of my neighbors. I'd put in the effort and pull cables if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

was supposed to get my Gig line in on Friday but my ESB box was missing what they called was a "Hockey Stick" i.e the red tube to pull the cable through. i now have to wait until another crew come to see if they can thread it through as the lads attempted it but got a stuck in a blockage. i have cancelled my UPC so hopefully they get it sorted before that expires on the 5th of may. As i see a few recent comments from mullingar in here i am in greenpark think alot of the houses here are missing the "hockey stick".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Always better to have one months overlap than try to sync the change. Hindsights a b*tch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

e21man wrote: »
    was supposed to get my Gig line in on Friday but my ESB box was missing what they called was a "Hockey Stick" i.e the red tube to pull the cable through. i now have to wait until another crew come to see if they can thread it through as the lads attempted it but got a stuck in a blockage. i have cancelled my UPC so hopefully they get it sorted before that expires on the 5th of may. As i see a few recent comments from mullingar in here i am in greenpark think alot of the houses here are missing the "hockey stick".

This is your bad boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

ED E wrote: »
    Always better to have one months overlap than try to sync the change. Hindsights a b*tch.

cancelled it when i confirmed they were coming out didnt think id have an issue with hockey sticks lol ah hopefully all goes well

e21man wrote: »
    Must double check i have one of those

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement

Install was very efficient, they actually called the day before install and had the Fibre pulled into a coil in metre box ready for next day install. Yes the box outside goes within a couple of metre box, and they drill into house and put another small box inside called an ont which needs power. I ran a cat 5e cable from there to my network switch and had modem located in attic initially beside that, then I patched it through to sitting room after. Think they will run cable on outside wall outside house and put ont a decent distance from metre box if needed. Seem to have done this for one of my neighbors. I'd put in the effort and pull cables if needed
    Where they bring it inside, can they then run it a distance inside or does it have to be where it comes directly in?

Yeah sure see attached, my ont backs onto the meter box outside, I ran a cat 5e cable from the ont up to the attic myself where the i have a network switch for all network points. I patched the vf modem down to sitting room to get better wifi where I need it most, and also put an access point upstairs. I've also got Vodafone tv on it too.
    I notice some of my neighbours had them run a cable right around the house outside, and then into the sitting room though a hole in wall. I put in the hard work to keep it neat, this is an install that will prob outlast the house, or my lifetime, so it's worth the effort to do it right. Installers said the box outside must go within 2m of meter, then some flexibility from there to where cable goes into house, and placment of ont inside.
    Where they bring it inside, can they then run it a distance inside or does it have to be where it comes directly in?
    Yeah sure see attached, my ont backs onto the meter box outside, I ran a cat 5e cable from the ont up to the attic myself where the i have a network switch for all network points. I patched the vf modem down to sitting room to get better wifi where I need it most, and also put an access point upstairs. I've also got Vodafone tv on it too.
    I notice some of my neighbours had them run a cable right around the house outside, and then into the sitting room though a hole in wall. I put in the hard work to keep it neat, this is an install that will prob outlast the house, or my lifetime, so it's worth the effort to do it right. Installers said the box outside must go within 2m of meter, then some flexibility from there to where cable goes into house, and placment of ont inside.

See pics i posted before in quote above. I think the ont must go very close to where they come inside. Think there is some flexibility where they will run a cable from there to where ever you want modem.

See pics i posted before in quote above. I think the ont must go very close to where they come inside. Think there is some flexibility where they will run a cable from there to where ever you want modem.
    We would need to run it above the kitchen cabinets. Do you think this would be possible? About 8 metres or so...

Also which is the fibre wire in that PIC?

We would need to run it above the kitchen cabinets. Do you think this would be possible? About 8 metres or so...

Also which is the fibre wire in that PIC?

Its that yellow and green cable, the Fibre coming from outside comes straight into that box on right and you can't see it in pic. The Fibre loop goes to ont on left, from there my cat 5e cable goes to modem.

Youll need to see what the installers are prepared to do for you, maybe you'll need an electrician or someone handy to pull in a cat 5e to where you want the modem located.

Thanks. So both the modem and the ONT need a power source?

Going to try to get it as close as possible to where we want it. Hopefully they will be flexible with where they can put it.

Thanks. So both the modem and the ONT need a power source?

Going to try to get it as close as possible to where we want it. Hopefully they will be flexible with where they can put it.

Yep that's right. Can you post up pics of the install when it's done?

Yep that's right. Can you post up pics of the install when it's done?

Yeah hopefully if all goes well this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

where does the ONT get it power via a 3 pin plug or hardwired into a socket. I am way short of plugs in my location.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

irishgeo wrote: »
    where does the ONT get it power via a 3 pin plug or hardwired into a socket. I am way short of plugs in my location.

3 pin plug (DC power adapter).

• Advertisement

OK, I ordered this, how flexible are they with the box externally relative to the existing ESB box, I.e. ESB box is 1.5 metres on the side wall. Can I have them drill at the corner and install the ont there?

Advertisement