Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

lmimmfn wrote: »
    OK, I ordered this, how flexible are they with the box externally relative to the existing ESB box, I.e. ESB box is 1.5 metres on the side wall. Can I have them drill at the corner and install the ont there?
    They seem to be grand when it comes to location of the ONT, went 18 feet from the meter box at my friends house no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

hellboy99 wrote: »
    They seem to be grand when it comes to location of the ONT, went 18 feet from the meter box at my friends house no problem.
    Excellent, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Vodafone came out and surveyed the house for the install. They can't do it for a few weeks because they have to get the ESB involved but the good news is we can get it installed which is what I was most worried about. Best of all they can put the router where we want it to go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

e21man wrote: »
    was supposed to get my Gig line in on Friday but my ESB box was missing what they called was a "Hockey Stick" i.e the red tube to pull the cable through. i now have to wait until another crew come to see if they can thread it through as the lads attempted it but got a stuck in a blockage. i have cancelled my UPC so hopefully they get it sorted before that expires on the 5th of may. As i see a few recent comments from mullingar in here i am in greenpark think alot of the houses here are missing the "hockey stick".

Just got told the same. Up to 10 business before that is done and then another wait for a new appointment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Huge esb works on the Westport Road Castlebar looks like they are moving the cables from the wooden poles to metal ones. Hopefully siro related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

irishgeo wrote: »
    Huge esb works on the Westport Road Castlebar looks like they are moving the cables from the wooden poles to metal ones. Hopefully siro related.

Western utilities are working on behalf of Virgin media around Staball (unless they don't have any Eir or siro signs and have used virgin media signs)

Castlebar was mmds and I wonder if they are now cabling.... Seems a strange place to be doing it, its very close to a fttc Eir cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Western utilities are working on behalf of Virgin media around Staball (unless they don't have any Eir or siro signs and have used virgin media signs)

Castlebar was mmds and I wonder if they are now cabling.... Seems a strange place to be doing it, its very close to a fttc Eir cabinet.

They are out the Pontoon Rd., Turlough Rd. & associated estates as well. Wonder are they only covering that end of the town, or are they here for the long run. There seems to be sfa obvious activity by Eir or Siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

They are out the Pontoon Rd., Turlough Rd. & associated estates as well. Wonder are they only covering that end of the town, or are they here for the long run. There seems to be sfa obvious activity by Eir or Siro.

So it is Virgin? I'm really surprised if so, seems like a strange place to target for coax broadband. It's right in between 2 Eir fttc cabs. There are estates on the moneen road that have poor coverage that would have been better to attack

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

So it is Virgin? I'm really surprised if so, seems like a strange place to target for coax broadband. It's right in between 2 Eir fttc cabs. There are estates on the moneen road that have poor coverage that would have been better to attack

virgin in dundalk look to be rolling out ftth / docsis over glass as opposed to coax. Seen the fibre cables myself being laid yesterday, was surprised given dundalk has siro ftth already.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Check-out-Virgin-Media-in-Ireland/td-p/3216685/page/2
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7404-virgin-media-lays-claim-to-largest-ftth-roll-out-in-uk.html

See other thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103341545&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notification#post103341545

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mgit wrote: »

Dundalk could be the most fibred town in Ireland next year with 3 companies each offering their own FTTH network. Hopefully VM will expand FTTH to other areas/towns currently not served by them. It would be good for Eir to have competition in the FTTH market. Currently Eir and Siro are serving very few identical areas so there is very little overlap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Gonzo wrote: »
    Mgit wrote: »

Dundalk could be the most fibred town in Ireland next year with 3 companies each offering their own FTTH network. Hopefully VM will expand FTTH to other areas/towns currently not served by them. It would be good for Eir to have competition in the FTTH market. Currently Eir and Siro are serving very few identical areas so there is very little overlap.
    Drogheda is in the same position. Siro, Eir and Virgin are all laying fibre at the moment.

It is. And if you type in Pontoon Rd., Castlebar in the VM website, you will see all the services that are currently available from VM. I wish all the other providers would be as quick to update their websites:(.

castlebar and westport added to the new towns coming soon section on the vodafone lightspeed page.

https://www.vodafone.ie/home/broadband/lightspeed-broadband

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

According to the SIRO website my home address has Lightspeed broadband available and when placing my order with Vodafone they say it is as well.
    So I think great order placed and that is when the problem start, Vodafone say they cannot provide an install date and have no idea when the will be able to.
    What a mess of a system, glad I did not cancel my Virgin Media yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

If you point out to the sales rep that VF have no connection fee, Digiweb will waive the fee or at least they did in my case.

If you point out to the sales rep that VF have no connection fee, Digiweb will waive the fee or at least they did in my case.

Yep, and Voda are also the most expensive. Lovely 6-month low tarriffs and then you get flattened with the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

What connection fee? For Lightspeed broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

Yesterday and the day before saw two groups of guys in SIRO hi-viz jackets examining ESB polls around Greystones. Know the town is marked down as only planned at this stage so not getting any hopes up. I wonder are they just surveying all the areas that are planned at the moment, or what are they up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

ro23 wrote: »
    Yesterday and the day before saw two groups of guys in SIRO hi-viz jackets examining ESB polls around Greystones. Know the town is marked down as only planned at this stage so not getting any hopes up. I wonder are they just surveying all the areas that are planned at the moment, or what are they up to?

Why didn't you ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ro23 wrote: »
    They were in our estate in Bray a week or so back as well, and dug up a section of footpath as a "test". A pity they didn't bother reinstating it properly after they were done though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Deagol

Seems to be a strange rollout. They've done a very small section of Ennis and now I've seen no activity anywhere for the past 3-4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

e21man wrote: »
    was supposed to get my Gig line in on Friday but my ESB box was missing what they called was a "Hockey Stick" i.e the red tube to pull the cable through. i now have to wait until another crew come to see if they can thread it through as the lads attempted it but got a stuck in a blockage. i have cancelled my UPC so hopefully they get it sorted before that expires on the 5th of may. As i see a few recent comments from mullingar in here i am in greenpark think alot of the houses here are missing the "hockey stick".

Had engineer out on Friday - same issue as you. How long did it take for a follow up appointment (assuming you have got one by now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Disappointment at the delay in the roll out of super fast broadband, Siro, has been expressed in Navan.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/05/03/4139404-anger-at-delay-in-broadband-delivery/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

KOR101 wrote: »
    Disappointment at the delay in the roll out of super fast broadband, Siro, has been expressed in Navan.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/05/03/4139404-anger-at-delay-in-broadband-delivery/

was just about to link that! saw it in the newspaper this morning in the Supermarket. Navan has been waiting 2 years after being promised coming soon and so far no sign of anything happen there.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Has anyone been able to connect a 3rd party router to the ONT? Getting it installed Thursday week and hoping to change out the HG659 for a DD-WRT router.

pretty sure you can use a 3rd party router. think there is posts on this thread or another on how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Gonzo wrote: »
    was just about to link that! saw it in the newspaper this morning in the Supermarket. Navan has been waiting 2 years after being promised coming soon and so far no sign of anything happen there.

Navan was listed to be one of the first 10 towns announced on launch day in 2015 and is now the only one of those 10 not done. It is still showing as planned on their website. It seems Bray and Greystones in Wicklow will be rolled out before it.

As for the original target of 50 (oops 51 if Skibbereen is included) towns by 2018, forget it. OpenEir will probably have their FTTH network rolled out a lot quicker and is cheaper than Siro (up to €10.00 per month depending on ISP - Vodafone excluded as they will not be using OpenEir's FTTH network).

cunnijo wrote: »
    Navan was listed to be one of the first 10 towns announced on launch day in 2015 and is now the only one of those 10 not done. It is still showing as planned on their website. It seems Bray and Greystones in Wicklow will be rolled out before it.

As for the original target of 50 (oops 51 if Skibbereen is included) towns by 2018, forget it. OpenEir will probably have their FTTH network rolled out a lot quicker and is cheaper than Siro (up to ?10.00 per month depending on ISP - Vodafone excluded as they will not be using OpenEir's FTTH network).

Siro has been extremely slow at rolling out, they are not competing in the same areas as Eir but often are competing against Virgin Media who offer fast, cheaper and unlimited usage compared to Siro's resellers. At least Open Eir are rolling to areas that badly need it.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

irishgeo wrote: »
    pretty sure you can use a 3rd party router. think there is posts on this thread or another on how to do it.
    It shouldn't be a problem, but bear in mind that if you have a problem with your connection, the ISP isn't going to help you with it if there's a 3rd party router involved.
    cunnijo wrote: »
    OpenEir will probably have their FTTH network rolled out a lot quicker and is cheaper than Siro (up to €10.00 per month depending on ISP - Vodafone excluded as they will not be using OpenEir's FTTH network).
    I'm pretty sure we'll be charging the same for SIRO FTTH connections as we do for open eir's.

Advertisement