Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Siro and kn started on the estates around us last November in wexford and are still to finish the job and virgin media with kn have come in 4 weeks ago and pretty much passed them by and they have dug up a pathways and all in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

It shouldn't be a problem, but bear in mind that if you have a problem with your connection, the ISP isn't going to help you with it if there's a 3rd party router involved.

I'm pretty sure we'll be charging the same for SIRO FTTH connections as we do for open eir's.

That is good to know Paul. For example pricing currently for the 1GB + talk packages from ISP's using Open Eir's FTTH network averages around €84pm where as with Siro it averages around €95-€100pm depending on ISP the dearest being Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

jayo26 wrote: »
    Siro and kn started on the estates around us last November in wexford and are still to finish the job and virgin media with kn have come in 4 weeks ago and pretty much passed them by and they have dug up a pathways and all in that time.

All I've seen for the past couple of months are Virgin. Haven't spotted Siro for quite a while. Virgin have dropped a leaflet in the door and marked the pavement. They're getting closer...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Fr0g wrote: »
    All I've seen for the past couple of months are Virgin. Haven't spotted Siro for quite a while. Virgin have dropped a leaflet in the door and marked the pavement. They're getting closer...

Siro don't need to dig up pathways though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I've tried it before. The forward is a good tip, I'll try again.

Siro responded to me 3 days ago.
    I have spoken with the team and I’m afraid that your building has presented some technical difficulties which we are currently attempting to find a solution for. I will keep you updated to any developments, apologies I cannot provide a more definite answer at this time.

Sounds like the duct is blocked as I feared. Took them 5 months to give me that answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

irishgeo wrote: »

They were digging up pathways here in Ennis for SIRO.

briggy wrote: »

thought the idea was to shove the fibre down the existing ducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

thought the idea was to shove the fibre down the existing ducts.

Where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Siro responded to me 3 days ago.

Sounds like the duct is blocked as I feared. Took them 5 months to give me that answer.
    I got the exact same answer when I asked too. It's a generic answer and could mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Wow!

Begs the question:

Is SIRO's estate/duct asset really as valuable as first thought, if they are dicking around with blocked ducts, patch-excavations, etc, all with LIVE power lines and all the associated safety overhead?

Virgin can flake through it in a fraction of the time with cheap-as-chips direct-bury fibre.

Probably a far cheaper build method, especially when ROI cycle comes into play. Subscriptions will be rolling in much faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Are you sure that's Siro and not Virgin Media....?
    Virgin are also rolling out in Ennis, Actavo are doing the digging for them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Are you sure that's Siro and not Virgin Media....?
    Virgin are also rolling out in Ennis, Actavo are doing the digging for them

Actavo are in Castlebar as well. And if they keep going at that rate, they will leave Siro definitely, and maybe Eir, in the lurch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just to explain what I've seen so far in wexford from siro is the couple of estates around my estate all the electricity service is coming from overhead lines apart from our estate which is underground.

Last November siro started on the estates around us they put up one or two poles metal poles to replace the badly damaged poles and put the silver tops on the poles to carry the cables I assume.

Then from mid December to mid January they were nowhere to be seen until they came back and ran the black cables along the poles with the roled up reels hangining on a few of them and every so often they come back and block off the street and run a cable underground.

Virgin started off on a bunch of newer estates after Christmas and have worked threw about 8 estates running cables and along a path down a road to another few estates and are just on the edge of ours this week. They seem to be working at a severe pace in comparison.

One thing I thought was funny is that one road they have been working on the on vans have dug up the same pathway 3 times in the past 2 years for eir then siro and now for virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Virgin started off on a bunch of newer estates after Christmas and have worked threw about 8 estates running cables and along a path down a road to another few estates and are just on the edge of ours this week. They seem to be working at a severe pace in comparison.
    The started work in my estate over six months ago, and then disappeared. Not a peep since. There may be a lot of local tactical decision making going on, as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Just had the installer out to do my install, and apparently because we've a single story house it can't be done! Cable from the pole would be going down too low across neighbours gardens which is fair enough. He's going to get back on to Siro to see if anything else can be done like putting an extension pole up on the roof or similar.

Bit of a fatal flaw in their plans there I think. Would this mean then that no single story house will be able to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

kmurph wrote: »
    Just had the installer out to do my install, and apparently because we've a single story house it can't be done! Cable from the pole would be going down too low across neighbours gardens which is fair enough. He's going to get back on to Siro to see if anything else can be done like putting an extension pole up on the roof or similar.

Bit of a fatal flaw in their plans there I think. Would this mean then that no single story house will be able to get it?

They normally try underground first - following the power cable into your house. If the duct is blocked they get another crowd out to unblock it - they did that for me. The crowd who came to unblock it arrived unannounced a couple of days later. That was last week. Then I got a call from my provider to schedule an engineer to come out to connect me up... a full month later!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How does the electricity supply reach the house, duct?
    If so, is it not possible to run the fibre thru this duct?

No mention of running it underground. Not entirely sure to be honest exactly where the electricity supply runs into the house.

No mention of running it underground. Not entirely sure to be honest exactly where the electricity supply runs into the house.

where is your meter box?

where is your meter box?
    On the wall just inside what used to be our front door. There is a porch built in front of it about 30 years ago and there are a load of cables at the front of the house there.

The installer didn't even go anywhere near the house though. Just took one look at where the connectors were on the pole and said that it couldn't be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

ED E wrote: »
    To move it optically you could:
    A. Run EthMediaCovnerter -> ~100m of glass -> EthMediaCovnerter -> Router
    B. Move their ONT (breaking all service arrangements from SIRO techs most likely) and use an optical M2F connector

I'd be more inclined to run a duct, string it up and ask the installers to just use that. One would hope they'd be accommodating.

Finally got it installed today after all this time. Cheers to anyone that provided input. We ended up running fibre in the end from our comms room to the ingress point and the installers spliced it. Building owners were ok about it in the end.

Just wondering can I do away with the HG659 altogether or do I have to stick it in bridging mode and then into the firewall? Had a check through this thread and there's one or two mentions or bridging the Voda supplied router but nothing really concrete. Haven't even had time to take a look at it yet bar a quick speed test (920Mbps).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Good they were obliging.

Not 100% on how Voda are handing the Authentication but I've a vague recollection its still PPP. If you can determine if that what the 659 is doing theres nothing to stop you swapping it.

ED E wrote: »
    Good they were obliging.

Not 100% on how Voda are handing the Authentication but I've a vague recollection its still PPP. If you can determine if that what the 659 is doing theres nothing to stop you swapping it.

Cheers, PPPOE is right. I got that much out of the installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Actavo installed our SIRO line this morning. Does anyone know the Vodafone Fibre PPPOE settings, I'm trying to set up an ASUS router using: vodafone@vodafone.ie with password: broadband

anyone know how long it takes from when KN rollout the fiber in the overhead/ducting in the road to ehen they come back to pull it into the house?

KN are deploying in me estate next week, (our estate is about 25 years old, so everything is underground. i recall reading on here somewhere that they only deploy it in the ducts first and come back later to pull it into the home, not sure i have that right so apprecaite if anyone knows. if that is the case, im just wondering how long it will take them to come back and pull in the last 10meters to my electricty box.....?

very excited to be finally so close to being connected!

ctlsleh wrote: »
    anyone know how long it takes from when KN rollout the fiber in the overhead/ducting in the road to ehen they come back to pull it into the house?

KN are deploying in me estate next week, (our estate is about 25 years old, so everything is underground. i recall reading on here somewhere that they only deploy it in the ducts first and come back later to pull it into the home, not sure i have that right so apprecaite if anyone knows. if that is the case, im just wondering how long it will take them to come back and pull in the last 10meters to my electricty box.....?

very excited to be finally so close to being connected!

have you placed an order yet?

they will pull the fibre to your house on your install date providing your duct isnt blocked.

have you placed an order yet?

they will pull the fibre to your house on your install date providing your duct isnt blocked.

they are not open to taking orders yet from last time i checked.....ill check that again tomorrow.

do they pull it into your house on the same day as they rollout it out in the street ducts, i thought those were two different processes and that it only became available to order once they pulled it into the street ducts?

i'm trying to understand what the delta is between when they pull it into the street ducts and when they make it available to order and when they come and pull it into your home.....or approximations of the timeframes. hope that makes more sense.

Actavo installed our SIRO line this morning. Does anyone know the Vodafone Fibre PPPOE settings, I'm trying to set up an ASUS router using: vodafone@vodafone.ie with password: broadband

The password is correct. Username is serial number@vfieftth.ie or.com* It's in the wan section of the router interface.

*going from memory from earlier. You might want to check that for sure.

How much flexibility do the KN lads have in taking the fiber into your home from the electricity meter, which for me is outside and in the middle of my sitting room on the other side. the wife would go berserk if they just drilled through the back of the meter wall into the middle of the room.......!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Any idea what's going to happen to those blocked ducts. I'm guessing they're going to continue doing the ones they can do and then come back and do what they need to do with the homes they couldn't' easily get access to.

Advertisement