Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Liamario wrote: »
    Any idea what's going to happen to those blocked ducts. I'm guessing they're going to continue doing the ones they can do and then come back and do what they need to do with the homes they couldn't' easily get access to.

Probably. :(

They don't seem keen to come back to my place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Probably. :(

They don't seem keen to come back to my place anyway.

Interesting they tried to install to my house Thursday but the duct was blocked... Could take up to a month for another crew to come out 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Kn digging on the Moneen Road in Castlebar last week in behalf of Siro.

Any update on this @WestnetPaul, the digging was very close to your building...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Spotted that. The lack of any action out the Westport Road has me worried?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, I haven't seen anything on the newport road either.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Spotted that. The lack of any action out the Westport Road has me worried?

I did see one of the contractors, can't remember which one, it wasn't kn, working on the westport road about 6 weeks ago.

It was at the very top of the road just before the bend leading to the straight stretch past the used car place/petrol station.

They had no "working on behalf of" signs up so can't be sure who they were working for

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wonder is it only going to be available in a small section of the town?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Yes, it's all part of the groundwork SIRO need to do to be able to offer service in Castlebar (and, by extension, Westport). It's also helping to facilitate the interconnection to our network.

I still can't give a firm date, but last week's digging was an important step in the process, so we're getting closer all the time.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I wonder is it only going to be available in a small section of the town?

That's the fear and the rest will be added in bit parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

KN strung up fibre past my rented house outside Adare and did work on the cabinet nearby a couple of months ago. It's a country road with one off houses. Will I get offered an upgrade on my Vodafone adsl package when it's ready or should I apply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

KN strung up fibre past my rented house outside Adare and did work on the cabinet nearby a couple of months ago. It's a country road with one off houses. Will I get offered an upgrade on my Vodafone adsl package when it's ready or should I apply?
    On which poles did they put the fibre on, ESB or telephone?
    Vodafone doesn't use the eir fibre to deliver FTTH, they are part of a joint venture with the ESB called Siro, who are rolling out their own wholesale FTTH network.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

KN are rolling out in my development tomorrow, ESB have sent notice that we will have an Electricity outage. Met the guys down the road and they confirmed.

What id like to understand is how long it takes from when they rollout the fiber in the ducts, to when they make the service orderable and then how long it takes them to actually come and pull the fiber into the house/meter-box from the kerb?

If my understanding is correct KN rollout in the ducts, then Actavo come along later spice it and pull it into the homes that sign up.......anyone experience the times involved ?

Appreciated......

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

In Bray there's vans with the brand name Axione, with 'working on behalf of Siro' logos on them. According to articles online they had previously expressed an interest in the NPB tender themselves not working with Siro.

The Cush wrote: »
    On which poles did they put the fibre on, ESB or telephone?
    Vodafone doesn't use the eir fibre to deliver FTTH, they are part of a joint venture with the ESB called Siro, who are rolling out their own wholesale FTTH network.

It's on the ESB network.

KN strung up fibre past my rented house outside Adare and did work on the cabinet nearby a couple of months ago.
    It's on the ESB network.

According to their map SIRO isn't planned for the Adare area yet, Limerick city would be nearest rollout to you planned at this time. They are concentrating on urban areas first and may only rollout their network to rural areas if they win one of the NBP contracts.

Can you post a pic of the fibre on the pole.

The Cush wrote: »
    According to their map SIRO isn't planned for the Adare area yet, Limerick city would be nearest rollout to you planned at this time. They are concentrating on urban areas first and may only rollout their network to rural areas if they win one of the NBP contracts.

Can you post a pic of the fibre on the pole.

I'm a derp it's on the telegraph poles.

I'm a derp it's on the telegraph poles.
    Back to the original answer then; Vodafone doesn't use the eir fibre to deliver FTTH, ... if/when it becomes available at your location move to a provider that will supply FTTH over open-eir's wholesale network.

Is the rented property part of the 300,000 open-eir commercial rollout, see the NBP map here and enter the eircode for the property - http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Kn still on the Moneen Road I castlebar, moving up towards Hurst/Stanley Jackson's place

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Kn still on the Moneen Road I castlebar, moving up towards Hurst/Stanley Jackson's place

took them 2 weeks to get past Cedar House. At that rate they should get to the estates around Kilkenny cross by Christmas (2018):rolleyes:

took them 2 weeks to get past Cedar House. At that rate they should get to the estates around Kilkenny cross by Christmas (2018):rolleyes:

They missed their pre Christmas launch by a long way. It's extremely slow progress.

Although the press release does not actually say what December.

http://siro.ie/enda-kenny-announces-news-castlebar/

• Advertisement

:)

Cedar House was complicated core network stuff, and some of it was for us, not SIRO. They'll be using existing ESB ducting for most of it, but that wasn't an option at Cedar House.

I really don't think it will be too much longer before the first homes in Castlebar get connected, and Westport shouldn't be too far behind.

Cedar House was complicated core network stuff, and some of it was for us, not SIRO. They'll be using existing ESB ducting for most of it, but that wasn't an option at Cedar House.

I really don't think it will be too much longer before the first homes in Castlebar get connected, and Westport shouldn't be too far behind.

Thanks Paul.

How will the whole thing work in terms of an "exchange"? Where will all this fibre terminate?

Will westnet have their own equipment some where?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks Paul.

How will the whole thing work in terms of an "exchange"? Where will all this fibre terminate?

Paul will have the details but SIRO isnt based on the old POTS network so doesnt need the concept of exchanges, but may overlay the substations in some areas.

End users - SIRO Street Cabs - SIRO POP - Operator POPs.

Westnets equipment as a retail operator wouldnt be anything to do with the GPON access gear, more racks of RAS/AAAA/Routing/Caching servers in their POP.

*waits for paul to shoot me down*

ED E wrote: »
    Paul will have the details but SIRO isnt based on the old POTS network so doesnt need the concept of exchanges, but may overlay the substations in some areas.

Westnets equipment as a retail operator wouldnt be anything to do with the GPON access gear, more racks of RAS/AAAA/Routing/Caching servers in their POP.

Thanks. I know it's not set up with exchanges but the fibre has to terminate at a central point, at that point do westnet or any other isp have the customer connector their equipment and use their own onward trunk? Or is it siro all the way to inex?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It would be SIRO as far as the operator handoff, similarly to the other wholesale operators (BT, OE).

For example a Vodafone DSL subscriber in Dingle say would run over the OpenEir access and core as far as Limerick where it would handover into the Vodafone network which then peers at places such as INEX, CIX etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Are the virgin media lads jin castlebar ust doing fibre to the cabnit?

naughto wrote: »
    Are the virgin media lads jin castlebar ust doing fibre to the cabnit?

Fibre to the building, then a coax converter

We already do. Most operators have their core network in a data centre (or multiple data centres) in Dublin, but ours is in Castlebar. We also have equipment in Dublin, but just for peering.

SIRO will hand off customer traffic to us in Castlebar. In simple terms, we'll have a fibre connection from their network to ours.
    ED E wrote: »

That's about right.

We already do. Most operators have their core network in a data centre (or multiple data centres) in Dublin, but ours is in Castlebar. We also have equipment in Dublin, but just for peering.

SIRO will hand off customer traffic to us in Castlebar. In simple terms, we'll have a fibre connection from their network to ours.

That's about right.

Thanks Paul. In that case, would it be possible to link a business with 2 premises over fibre with siro for a vpn? Assuming their premises are siro fed and they are westnet customers.

• Advertisement

Thanks Paul. In that case, would it be possible to link a business with 2 premises over fibre with siro for a vpn? Assuming their premises are siro fed and they are westnet customers.

Well, I guess the first thing to say is that it's possible to connect any two premises with a VPN. They don't have to be on the same ISP's network.

That said, if you wanted to connect to premises in Mayo together, I think we're better placed than most to do that for you, precisely because our core network is in Castlebar. If SIRO were handing off to us in Dublin (if, for example, we were connecting to them through an enet aggregation deal rather than connecting directly) then the connection between your premises would take this route:
    premises 1 <---> SIRO Castlebar <---> Dublin <---> SIRO Castlebar <---> premises 2

whereas with our topology it's:
    premises 1 <---> Westnet Castlebar <---> premises 2

It's not a dramatic difference, but it makes sense to keep traffic as local as possible, and you should see LAN-like performance between two fibre-connected premises in the same town.

Also: if for any reason one of the premises can't get SIRO fibre but can get open eir fibre (or even open eir VDSL, if all else fails) it works exactly the same way.

Advertisement