Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

talla wrote: »
    Is it Vodafone?
    If it is, the supplied HG659 router is a piece of crap.
    Have also read about certain instances with the LAN ports being restricted to 100mb. I'm running off a netgear nighthawk router and wifi extenders.

What PPPoE settings did you use to get the Netgear Router up and running? Tried everything to get my Asus router going but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

briggy wrote: »
    What PPPoE settings did you use to get the Netgear Router up and running? Tried everything to get my Asus router going but no luck.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102675296&postcount=8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Wired and with laptop that supports gig lan
    i had to change the port i was using on the HG659 router to get full speed, wifi was fine, but not ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

lmimmfn wrote: »
    i had to change the port i was using on the HG659 router to get full speed, wifi was fine, but not ethernet.

Phoned Vodafone and they gave me engineers number.They said he hadn't signed off on my job and that was very strange.Have been trying to get hold of him all day.Vf recon I should be getting 355 on LAN give or take 5 or 6 meg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Phoned Vodafone and they gave me engineers number.They said he hadn't signed off on my job and that was very strange.Have been trying to get hold of him all day.Vf recon I should be getting 355 on LAN give or take 5 or 6 meg

Have you tried a different/new cable to connect to the router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Anywhere to find out roll out dates of certain areas?
    There was a list of towns before but can't find them anywhere now.
    I remember reading Shannon was on the list but can't find any mention of Shannon anywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

XsApollo wrote: »
    Anywhere to find out roll out dates of certain areas?
    There was a list of towns before but can't find them anywhere now.
    I remember reading Shannon was on the list but can't find any mention of Shannon anywhere now.

Siro recently signed partnership deal with ENET. http://www.enet.ie/news/172/138/enet-SIRO-Announce-Partnership-Agreement.html

And Enet currently updating Shannon free zone west. If that crew continued down the road into Shannon town it could be done quickly. But they probably won't. There is a crew somewhere the other side of limerick currently, that was mentioned earlier in thread, they may then head for Shannon. But certainly nothing concrete currently.

Eircom FTTH not scheduled until more or less 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I'm in a fairly new build in Shannon.
    3 years old the houses are.
    Eir don't have any intention of coming back to supply us with fibre by the looks of it.
    Been told it won't happen and there is nothing I can do.
    I'm stuck on max 10mb.
    Virgin I think have no intentions either.
    Sickening as across the road literally 30 metres there is virgin and eir fibre.
    Shannon is mostly covered in that regard, so don't think they will bother with the 16houses without it.

Siro is the only hope I think.

Yes tried different cables also reset router and still getting speeds from 40 up 160 megabytes.Vodafone are sending me out a new router on Tuesday.They recon its my router.Do you have Siro yet?Are youre speeds constant?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

XsApollo wrote: »
    I'm in a fairly new build in Shannon.
    3 years old the houses are.
    Eir don't have any intention of coming back to supply us with fibre by the looks of it.
    Been told it won't happen and there is nothing I can do.
    I'm stuck on max 10mb.
    Virgin I think have no intentions either.
    Sickening as across the road literally 30 metres there is virgin and eir fibre.
    Shannon is mostly covered in that regard, so don't think they will bother with the 16houses without it.

Siro is the only hope I think.

I know a couple of people that had the same problem with Eir in a couple of new estates. They contacted Vodafone whom were able to supply them with reasonably solid 23mb down and 6 up fibre connections on eir's network. Might be worth checking. Not great but, better.

• Advertisement

Have you tried a different/new cable to connect to the router?
    Yes tried different cables also reset router and still getting speeds from 40 up 160 megabytes.Vodafone are sending me out a new router on Tuesday.They recon its my router.Do you have Siro yet?Are youre speeds constant?

Just a quick update.Got new router today and i still have same issues.They are sending out engineer in the next day or 2 to try and sort it.Will keep posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Balbriggan update: KN (this time) working yesterday on the R132 near the entrance to Bell's Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Stupid question. If the fibre cable is going to be going into the house through the underground ducting, how do the installers know where the ducting is or even if there's any available to go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Vodafone sales guys were calling door to door yesterday in Dublin road, Drogheda with SIRO. I have signed up to 150MB package, and it's supposed to be installed by end of next week (as per text from vodafone).

kmurph wrote: »
    Stupid question. If the fibre cable is going to be going into the house through the underground ducting, how do the installers know where the ducting is or even if there's any available to go through?

The ducting would have been done when housing estate was being built.They would have a list of estates with ducting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kmurph wrote: »

It should follow the same route as the incoming electricity cable. if there's no duct it should come in overhead.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sawa KN van in Blackfort Manor castlebar, hopefully scoping out the area before works in the near future.

Got my Siro sorted today.My speeds are fine on cable.Getting speeds up to the 350 mega bytes.My Kaspersky firewall was causing the problems.All sorted now thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Deagol

Just got a notification that my power will be interrupted in order to facilitate rollout of the fibre network.

Does anyone have any feel for how many houses they turn off to service an area? Or to put it another way, does this mean I will definitely get Siro at some stage in the near future? Or does it mean they just need to turn off my power whilst they do a distant area? Don't want to get prematurely excited :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Deagol wrote: »
    Just got a notification that my power will be interrupted in order to facilitate rollout of the fibre network.

Does anyone have any feel for how many houses they turn off to service an area? Or to put it another way, does this mean I will definitely get Siro at some stage in the near future? Or does it mean they just need to turn off my power whilst they do a distant area? Don't want to get prematurely excited :D

More thenikely it means your getting it in the future.

We got the same letter last year and they still haven't started our half of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

positron wrote:
    Vodafone sales guys were calling door to door yesterday in Dublin road, Drogheda with SIRO. I have signed up to 150MB package, and it's supposed to be installed by end of next week (as per text from vodafone).

Got this installed today. Went smooth overall and getting 150 on cable. Phone over WiFi fluctuates between 40 and 110 Mbps, where as old laptop can only connect to 2.4 network and maxes out around 40 Mbps.

Delighted with it overall, approximately 10 times jump in bandwidth. Now to wire it to a switch in the attic and to rest of the house.. Happy out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

How long on average have people taken to get connected to Siro? Currently over 7 weeks and counting. I have given up ringing them as it makes me so angry talking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Just got this installed but we don't seem to be getting the full speeds. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Manc Red wrote: »
    Just got this installed but we don't seem to be getting the full speeds. Any tips?

If you are using a wireless connection depending on the network card in your PC/laptop you may only achieve 40/45mb, a wired connection should give close to 120mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What speed are you supposed to have?
    What speed are you getting?

Are you checking speed on a wired connection?
    Is your hardware capable of the speed you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

We got it in last week. I'm not really tech Savy so bear with me. Should the internet on my phone be any faster than standard 4G? Cause at the minute it's the same. Downloads apps is the same speed too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    We got it in last week. I'm not really tech Savy so bear with me. Should the internet on my phone be any faster than standard 4G? Cause at the minute it's the same. Downloads apps is the same speed too

the wireless on your phone doesnt give a true measure of the speed.

you need to connect a compter/laptop with a network cable directly into the ports on the back of the router and then run speedtest.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

If you are using a wireless connection depending on the network card in your PC/laptop you may only achieve 40/45mb, a wired connection should give close to 120mb.

We have the 350 package and get 150 wired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We have the 350 package and get 150 wired.

That sounds suspiciously like the OLT is provisioning you on the base profile.

Its possible from a systems perspective that the retail system has to provide the product info to the wholesale OSS in order to configure new lines. If its not fixed in the morning I'd call support.

Advertisement