Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Presumably they're using their own reference for each install similar to OEs ARD or ESB MPRN. Be curious to know the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

ED E wrote: »
    Presumably they're using their own reference for each install similar to OEs ARD or ESB MPRN. Be curious to know the format.

Yeah he explained something to that effect.

Mine started P00 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Silicon Republic article - Siro and BT complete first customer 1Gbps broadband trial
    The first live trial of Siro 1Gbps broadband has taken place in Cork.

Vodafone and ESB’s joint venture Siro has successfully completed the first ‘live’ trial of its 1Gbps broadband network.

The trial, which took place at a customer’s home in Carrigaline, Cork signals the combination of BT’s national fibre network with Siro’s 1Gbps fibre-to-the-building (FTTB) local network.

BT’s local and global fibre network connects to last-mile services for other telecoms companies as well as the Government’s metropolitan area networks, and now Siro.

Have SIRO not been offering a 1 Gbps connection before this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Cush wrote: »
    Silicon Republic article - Siro and BT complete first customer 1Gbps broadband trial

Have SIRO not been offering a 1 Gbps connection before this?

Is it possibly a first with BT and previous connections were with a different partner?

I understood they had been offering 1Gb/s connections all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Is it possibly a first with BT and previous connections were with a different partner?

I understood they had been offering 1Gb/s connections all along.

Yeah, Vodafone have been offering 1G connections. I think it's journalism by Press Release!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

jd wrote: »
    Yeah, Vodafone have been offering 1G connections. I think it's journalism by Press Release!

Yes, the article misses the point entirely. BT are now a SIRO aggregator. ENET are doing it too.

This means that a retail ISP can now interconnect with BT at say, Citywest, and reach SIRO fibre islands all over the country, over BT backhaul.

BT are essentially linking all SIRO fibre islands together and presenting a unified national network to other operators. Without this, operators needed 10Gb interconnects at every SIRO town.

ENET are known for being expensive, maybe with BT on the cards we'll see some more retail ops coming out of the woodwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Maybe sky will now start offering ftth, think BT is their connectivity partner at the moment.

Mgit wrote: »
    Maybe sky will now start offering ftth, think BT is their connectivity partner at the moment.

They are, but sky are also too cheap to pay install fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Roen wrote: »
    Finally got it installed today after all this time. Cheers to anyone that provided input. We ended up running fibre in the end from our comms room to the ingress point and the installers spliced it. Building owners were ok about it in the end.

Just wondering can I do away with the HG659 altogether or do I have to stick it in bridging mode and then into the firewall? Had a check through this thread and there's one or two mentions or bridging the Voda supplied router but nothing really concrete. Haven't even had time to take a look at it yet bar a quick speed test (920Mbps).

Right, hell of a long time has passed before I managed to sit down and take a good look at this.

Had to create a VLAN 10 (thanks Briggy) on the FW and also a sub interface on the outside NIC and stick the sub interface in VLAN 10. Could have been an older version of IOS but for some reason the FW wouldn't allow me have the interface itself in a VLAN. Or maybe that's just how Cisco kit plays.

Anyway, long story short: PPPOE settings, create sub interface on outside NIC, create VLAN 10, stick sub interface in VLAN 10. Job's oxo.

Thanks to Briggy and ED E and all others who replied. Have the FW connected direct to the ONT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Construction has begun in Naas and is at an advanced stage in Newbridge.

tDakeS0l.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

The network build is going on nearly a year in Newbridge and still has not gone live.
    It seems to take a very long time from start of construction to go live.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

TCP/IP wrote: »
    The network build is going on nearly a year in Newbridge and still has not gone live.
    It seems to take a very long time from start of construction to go live.

That's not good. While we seem to criticise Eir a lot at least they can get their FTTH services rolled out in a far shorter time frame. Credit where credit is due.

As for SIRO 50 towns by end of 2018 is most definitely not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

cunnijo wrote: »
    That's not good. While we seem to criticise Eir a lot at least they can get their FTTH services rolled out in a far shorter time frame. Credit where credit is due.

Even when a town has gone live, it's usually only available to a small part of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

whats the difference on contention between eir and siro for ftth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

irishgeo wrote: »

I think they're both 32 or 64.

Peering is likely to have more of an impact than local contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

cunnijo wrote: »

You mean eir fttc or ftth. Not sure how many homes eir claim to have passed for ftth, but by their pricing they are much more interested in selling their fttc cabinet service at the moment. Compare eir Fibre extreme at €70 per month for 150mb to Vodafone or digiweb siro at €45. Had siro techs here a few months ago fixing a problem with my modem and they said they had 6000 active connections and 60000 homes passed, ready for sale of ftth. That's not bad for a brand new company between Vodafone and esb starting a partnership from scratch.

Look at the nbn disaster in Australia and the amount of tax payers wasted after 6 years and they are just starting to rollout fttc because they found ftth too expensive and cancelled the rollout.

To be fair to siro I think its an impressive achievement, it's unlikely eir would be so quick to start rolling out ftth if siro wasn't rolling out ftth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ED E wrote: »
    Peering is likely to have more of an impact than local contention.

can you explain a bit more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Kn were working in the Westport business park yesterday, didn't get a chance to talk to them buy I presume it was for siro as they had dug and resurfaced next to 4 esb boxes outside some of the businesses.

Any word or update on this Westnet Paul?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Just got my 1Gb line installed today. The engineer did a speed test and was getting 850Mbits but on 2 different Macs I haven't gotten over 450Mbits and the latest test is only 150mbits. Uploads were consistent around 200mbits. Any ideas how to sort this out on my end or does it sound like an issue with the connection?

UPDATE: I get approx. 700Mbits on Vodafone's speed test but only 400Mbits on Speedtest.net. Which is more accurate?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Kn were working in the Westport business park yesterday, didn't get a chance to talk to them buy I presume it was for siro as they had dug and resurfaced next to 4 esb boxes outside some of the businesses.

Any word or update on this Westnet Paul?

We're still waiting for the "homes passed" file, which is the SIRO equivalent of the open eir "advanced prequal" file. When we get it, we'll have a definitive list of homes with dates services will be available.

Since we don't have that, I can't be definite. What I can tell you is that there's been a serious flurry of activity towards getting everything set up both on SIRO's side and on ours, including some fibre splicing in our Castlebar data centre this week.

I think it's fair to say that we're looking at the first homes in Castlebar being ready to go live within weeks, and Westport hopefully within a few more weeks of that again.

can you explain a bit more?

You and 30 neighbors compete for 2.5Gb. Unless you get unlucky with a cluster of powerusers that shouldn't be a problem, for now.

More generally though if xISP has 10k subs each with 300Mb but only 10GB out to the UK that could be an issue of a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Coggy2012

Got SIRO FTTH installed yesterday, "Free" from Vodafone - SIRO 150Mb package. The engineer did a speed test and got 155Mb. He left and I hooked up my PC to the Modem/Router and only got between 80 and 85Mb. Uploads were similar to the engineers at 30Mb. There's some kinda smoke and mirrors going on here with the download speed rating. I already had 50 to 55Mb with Eircom's FTTC, so I haven't gained much. Not that I need it anyway, Netflix and movies clip along nicely at much less. Just disappointed with SIRO's speed claims tho. It's a lot of messy wiring for not much benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

Coggy2012 wrote: »
    Got SIRO FTTH installed yesterday, "Free" from Vodafone - SIRO 150Mb package. The engineer did a speed test and got 155Mb. He left and I hooked up my PC to the Modem/Router and only got between 80 and 85Mb. Uploads were similar to the engineers at 30Mb. There's some kinda smoke and mirrors going on here with the download speed rating. I already had 50 to 55Mb with Eircom's FTTC, so I haven't gained much. Not that I need it anyway, Netflix and movies clip along nicely at much less. Just disappointed with SIRO's speed claims tho. It's a lot of messy wiring for not much benefit.

Defo call them. I got the 350 package and works perfect here and always at max speeds.

6485075156.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Coggy2012 wrote:

What kind of network card do you have on your pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

jd wrote: »
    What kind of network card do you have on your pc?

Great point.. Have a modern phone? Then try with that. If you get max speeds then yep could be your network card being a 10/100mb one and not GB

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Coggy2012 wrote: »
    There's some kinda smoke and mirrors going on here with the download speed rating.

I've seen that sentiment expressed before, but the key thing people need to understand is this: the installer's laptop is optimised for speed. It's very important that the installer be able to demonstrate the full speed of the connection, so his laptop won't have any extraneous software that hijacks traffic, or automatic updates downloading in the background, or anything of the kind.

I've had situations in the past where people have complained that their connection was unusably slow - one guy told me it took him several minutes to load the DoneDeal front page. I connected my laptop to his wireless network, opened the DoneDeal page, and it was fully loaded in about three seconds.

It's not out of the question that a problem developed after installation, but generally speaking if your PC doesn't show the same speed that the installer's did, it's probably down to your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

So got siro installed eventually on monday past, tidy install even with the difficulties.

Heres a direct side by side comparison between eir's FTTC 90/20 to siro 350/70 not apples for apples but you'll see the comparisons anyway for anyone whos interested.

Eir Speedtest
    6489733910.png

Siro Speedtest
    6489715887.png

Ping Eir (boards.ie and bbc.co.uk)
    Ping statistics for 104.20.70.96:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 13ms
    Ping statistics for 212.58.246.94:
    Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 23ms

Ping Siro (boards.ie and bbc.co.uk)
    Ping statistics for 104.20.71.96:
    Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 10ms
    Ping statistics for 212.58.246.55:
    Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 23ms

Eir Meter Test
    201729108188.png
    Siro Meter test
    201729108086.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That's just maddening! :mad:

.... and me sitting here with 5Mb/s on a good day!

Aaaaaargh!!!!!!

Advertisement