Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

That's just maddening! :mad:

.... and me sitting here with 5Mb/s on a good day!

Aaaaaargh!!!!!!

Yep pretty sickening seeing someone with a great connection move on to a fantastic one when a lot of us are on below 10mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Westnet flyers going out to some homes in Castlebar, any info on these Westnet Paul?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Yes, we're knocking on doors that are passed in the initial rollout. At this stage those homes are in the vicinity of the Pontoon and Turlough roads, along the Moneen road and around Kilkenny Cross. We expect to have all the setup work completed and be in a position to place orders in the next day or so, and hopefully the first customers will be connected in the next couple of weeks.

We believe the plan is to add more phases over the coming months, but I don't have visibility on where those are yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i may as well just go with the eircom ftth if thats the only areas going live after 9 months of work.

irishgeo wrote: »
    i may as well just go with the eircom ftth if thats the only areas going live after 9 months of work.

Well, those are the areas going live right now. We're expecting a lot more over the coming months, but I don't know where or when.

If you'd rather not wait, and if eir ftth is available in your area, of course we'd be happy to provide it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Yes, we're knocking on doors that are passed in the initial rollout. At this stage those homes are in the vicinity of the Pontoon and Turlough roads, along the Moneen road and around Kilkenny Cross. We expect to have all the setup work completed and be in a position to place orders in the next day or so, and hopefully the first customers will be connected in the next couple of weeks.

That's great news Paul...is Rosslee, Kilkenny cross, included in the initial rollout area?

That's great news Paul...is Rosslee, Kilkenny cross, included in the initial rollout area?

I'm afraid not, and it's hard to see why. Kilkenny Close is covered, but neither Woodlawn Park nor Rosslee is. The only consolation I can offer is that it would make sense for those estates to be in the next phase, which shouldn't be far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Coggy2012 wrote: »
    Got SIRO FTTH installed yesterday, "Free" from Vodafone - SIRO 150Mb package. The engineer did a speed test and got 155Mb. He left and I hooked up my PC to the Modem/Router and only got between 80 and 85Mb. Uploads were similar to the engineers at 30Mb. There's some kinda smoke and mirrors going on here with the download speed rating. I already had 50 to 55Mb with Eircom's FTTC, so I haven't gained much. Not that I need it anyway, Netflix and movies clip along nicely at much less. Just disappointed with SIRO's speed claims tho. It's a lot of messy wiring for not much benefit.
    People have said here it takes a bit after the install to calm down, maybe that's a factor?

I should have mine installed today, after 4 attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭digiman

/\/ollog wrote: »
    People have said here it takes a bit after the install to calm down, maybe that's a factor?

I should have mine installed today, after 4 attempts.

That's a myth, if everything is done correctly it will work as expected from the minute its turned on first.

digiman wrote: »
    That's a myth, if everything is done correctly it will work as expected from the minute its turned on first.

I'd have thought so too.

My installer is idling his van outside my window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

That's just maddening! :mad:

.... and me sitting here with 5Mb/s on a good day!

Aaaaaargh!!!!!!
    Yep pretty sickening seeing someone with a great connection move on to a fantastic one when a lot of us are on below 10mb.

He's entitled to to have a luxury of high-speed choices because he's an urban-dweller and doesn't need much subsidies. You rural dwellers should be grateful yous aren't €100-200 for that 5-10Mb.

25SXHgQ_d.jpg

Woe is me.

The ladder wouldn't reach this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

He's entitled to to have a luxury of high-speed choices because he's an urban-dweller and doesn't need much subsidies. You rural dwellers should be grateful yous aren't €100-200 for that 5-10Mb.

Really?
    You want to start this stupid diversion again?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Coggy2012 wrote: »
    Got SIRO FTTH installed yesterday, "Free" from Vodafone - SIRO 150Mb package. The engineer did a speed test and got 155Mb. He left and I hooked up my PC to the Modem/Router and only got between 80 and 85Mb. Uploads were similar to the engineers at 30Mb. There's some kinda smoke and mirrors going on here with the download speed rating. I already had 50 to 55Mb with Eircom's FTTC, so I haven't gained much. Not that I need it anyway, Netflix and movies clip along nicely at much less. Just disappointed with SIRO's speed claims tho. It's a lot of messy wiring for not much benefit.

I agree with what's others have said, sounds like you have a 100Mb network card, or a poor spec laptop that can't drive the speed test hard enough.

Also if you plug into modem using cable make sure your not connected to wireless at same time on laptop. Windows tends to send traffic through wifi sometimes even if cable is plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Lots of overhead fiber being deployed in Ennis by Siro right now.......even passing outside my estate, however our electricity is ducted, there are no poles........anyone experienced that and know how long it takes them to comeback and push the fiber through the ducts into the estate........?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Civil work started in my estate (Balbriggan) , leaflet delivered > Obelisk working on behalf of Siro . Will try to find the guys to see how long it will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Lots of overhead fiber being deployed in Ennis by Siro right now.......even passing outside my estate, however our electricity is ducted, there are no poles........anyone experienced that and know how long it takes them to comeback and push the fiber through the ducts into the estate........?

From when they started work in our estate to when we could actually order Siro was about 6 months. May be sooner for other estates in Ennis as we were on the first phase of houses to go live. It only took a couple of weeks for them to actually come in to the estate after deploying the overhead fibre on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tkrysiak

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Civil work started in my estate (Balbriggan) , leaflet delivered > Obelisk working on behalf of Siro . Will try to find the guys to see how long it will take.

So if they are working in Balbriggan then maybe there is some hope for Skerries getting it some time in the near future ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,007 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I found out that not all estates are ducted. Where I am is over 35 years old and the ESB cables apparently were laid directly into trenches. There was a discussion about it before.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100820999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I checked with Vodafone to see if Lightspeed (Siro) was available yet in my estate in ennis and it isn't even though the guys were through the estate earlier this year - probably close to 6 months at this stage.

I'm currently on VF fibre and some days I can't get 4-5Mb, when i was getting over 40Mb previously.

I'm hoping Virgin come through the estate too - at least it'll give me a choice of provider.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

theShire wrote: »
    I'm currently on VF fibre...

Nope. You're on Vodafone DSL. ISPs calling non-fibre technologies "fibre" doesn't make them fibre.

I checked with Vodafone to see if Lightspeed (Siro) was available yet in my estate in ennis and it isn't even though the guys were through the estate earlier this year - probably close to 6 months at this stage.

I'm currently on VF fibre and some days I can't get 4-5Mb, when i was getting over 40Mb previously.

I'm hoping Virgin come through the estate too - at least it'll give me a choice of provider.

Wait for a rep to call by. Vodafone Siro and digiweb said I couldn't get it because the map said no. I can get it, the rep just emailed someone my address and low and behold I actually can get it.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm currently on VF fibre...

Nope. You're on Vodafone DSL. ISPs calling non-fibre technologies "fibre" doesn't make them fibre.

Actually isn't it VDSL?

Regardless, I think we all understood what I meant.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Actually isn't it VDSL?

Yes, it's VDSL. It's still not fibre. And, yes: I understood what you meant. I'm not having a go at you, I'm having a go at the idiocy that has allowed non-fibre technologies to be marketed as fibre in this country, which has had a great many subtle policy impacts because not everybody does understand what you meant.

Fibre is fibre. xDSL is xDSL. Let's not be complicit in the dishonest marketing that conflates the two completely different technologies.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Actually isn't it VDSL?

Yes, it's VDSL. It's still not fibre. And, yes: I understood what you meant. I'm not having a go at you, I'm having a go at the idiocy that has allowed non-fibre technologies to be marketed as fibre in this country, which has had a great many subtle policy impacts because not everybody does understand what you meant.

Fibre is fibre. xDSL is xDSL. Let's not be complicit in the dishonest marketing that conflates the two completely different technologies.

That's an argument for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Confirmation that Siro civil works have also started in my estate in Balbriggan, although the older part of my estate, fingers crossed they'll do the newer roads as well. It would give me quite a lot of pleasure to be able to discontinue my line rental!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

SIRO have updated the map on their website, using Google maps now.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Got an estimated date for the service to go live in my area around November. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I found out that not all estates are ducted. Where I am is over 35 years old and the ESB cables apparently were laid directly into trenches. There was a discussion about it before.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100820999

M estate is about 20years old, its ducted as the KN guys were in here about 6 months ago auditing the ducts and they said we should be fine to get it......

Advertisement