Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

bodonnell wrote: »
    @glic83
    What part of Limerick are they offering this ?

Out the old Cratloe Road, Shannonvale.
    Not sure if it's available on the Caherdavin houses yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

bodonnell, you can go to siro.ie and enter in your address or Eircode to see what addresses are active. You can also click anywhere on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Looking at vodaphone for another house I believe it's vodaphone simply up to 25mb ? It's at a good price be used for downloading mostly, and some Xbox online.
    I have imagine at my home house and find it excellent but it's a bit dear my situation at the moment.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Does anyone know if or when SIRO will be coming to the Cork City suburbs?

Looking at vodaphone for another house I believe it's vodaphone simply up to 25mb ? It's at a good price be used for downloading mostly, and some Xbox online.
    I have imagine at my home house and find it excellent but it's a bit dear my situation at the moment.

Cheers.
    This thread is in relation to SIRO. If you have a specific question about something unrelated to SIRO, you should start a new thread.

Donne wrote: »
    Does anyone know if or when SIRO will be coming to the Cork City suburbs?

All we know at this time is what's on this site:
    http://siro.ie/roll-out/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭talla

Is SIRO(vodafone) down for anyone else at the moment ? - located in Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

talla wrote: »
    Is SIRO(vodafone) down for anyone else at the moment ? - located in Letterkenny

It was, again.
    8am to 10.30 in the log

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Balbriggan update: SIRO have moved on from duct preparation work. Currently in the Cardy Rock estate running the fibre to homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Hi, looking for anyone with experience with a powerline adaptor and SIRO - I've posted here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105000834#post105000834

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

SeanF wrote: »
    Hi, looking for anyone with experience with a powerline adaptor and SIRO - I've posted here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105000834#post105000834

Powerline adapters or not have very little to do with SIRO. It's a universal network appliance. It will work (or not) with any internet connection.

Powerline adapters work the same way as wireless, just that they use the electricity cables to send their signal on instead of over the air.

They also have the same issues as wireless: any sort of interference decreases your signal/throughput to the point of no connectivity.

As TP-Link states on their product page:
    The theoretical maximum channel data transfer rate is derived from HomePlug AV specifications. Actual data transfer rate will vary from network environment including: distance, network traffic, noise on electrical wires, building material and construction, quality of electrical installation and other adverse conditions.

So you've got 600 Mbit/s half-duplex to begin with. That's 300 Mbit/s full-duplex at best. Now somebody turns a washing machine, a dryer or a dish-washer or a hair dryer on in your household ... you may only have half that at this point ... or nothing ... if it's a cheap appliance.

That's exactly the reason, why TP-Link specified, that that particular powerline adapter is the solution to extend a 300 Mbit/s wireless connection to hard to reach places. No more. http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/TL-WPA4226-KIT-V1.2.html

If you want more: run a network cable !!

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He already has his own thread, no point in dragging this one OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

hi, already posted in another thread, pointed towards this one.

Siro are installing on my road right now, engineer came to look at my meter box today. I'll definitely be getting it ASAP! can't wait.

my question is around the internal install, the meter box is completely on the other side of the house from where i'd like the router to be. How flexible are they about routing the cable inside the house? is there any scope to run all the way around the outside like Sky TV might do ?

i'm renting so can't really make holes in walls etc. I'd love to have the main box in my office so most of my systems can be wired on gigabit hubs, then wireless for the rest of the house that doesn't care about getting the full 1Gbps :)

surely most people don't have their meter cabinets in a handy position so this must be quite common ??

any advice ?

cheers
    Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cush will know for sure but think it has to go through the external cavity box. Doubt they'll circumvent the house.

Some small drilling will be required in all installs so be sure to get the landlords permission first.

sibergoth wrote: »
    my question is around the internal install, the meter box is completely on the other side of the house from where i'd like the router to be. How flexible are they about routing the cable inside the house? is there any scope to run all the way around the outside like Sky TV might do ?

i'm renting so can't really make holes in walls etc. I'd love to have the main box in my office so most of my systems can be wired on gigabit hubs, then wireless for the rest of the house that doesn't care about getting the full 1Gbps :)

surely most people don't have their meter cabinets in a handy position so this must be quite common ??

Hi,

the cable has to come inside into the house somewhere, so there is no avoiding drilling at some point.

In some cases, they will only bring it to the nearest double socket and you would need to get cat5 cable ran from that point yourself. But I've heard to the installers bringing it further in quite a few of the installs.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

billbond4 wrote: »

Thats for passing all homes. The service will go live earlier than that for those homes that have been passed. It's the same as in other places, where not all homes have been passed yet, but service is life for a lot of them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

sibergoth wrote: »
    hi, already posted in another thread, pointed towards this one.

Siro are installing on my road right now, engineer came to look at my meter box today. I'll definitely be getting it ASAP! can't wait.

any advice ?

cheers
    Adam

You need your landlords permission as holes will be drilled.

If you ask the installer before they start they'll install a box at the wall closest to the entry point and then run a fibre cable to another box(ont) further into your house.

I asked my installer to cut me a cat5/6 cable after they finished but they misunderstood, which got me this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

that should do it. cheers.

Getting close now.....

23it3kw.jpg

2u7x7ig.jpg

Can someone remind me what Vodaphone does to customers who exceed the 1TB. Is there a charge or throttling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

KOR101 wrote: »
    Can someone remind me what Vodaphone does to customers who exceed the 1TB. Is there a charge or throttling?

No charge, but they "deserve the right" to disconnect you if you go over it multiple times in the year.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apparently there's no charge but if you do it twice in the year you could get your service terminated: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057697350

No charge, but they "deserve the right" to disconnect you if you go over it multiple times in the year.
    I don't remember anyone here reporting even being threatened with disconnection. That seems like a far more reasonable approach than Eir's. I might go over it once in a while, but certainly not regularly, and I simply won't order if I have ti watch usage statistics.

I don't remember anyone here reporting even being threatened with disconnection. That seems like a far more reasonable approach than Eir's. I might go over it once in a while, but certainly not regularly, and I simply won't order if I have ti watch usage statistics.

Order an eir business eFibre connection if you can - no FUP, and around the same price as a residential connection.

Order an eir business eFibre connection if you can - no FUP, and around the same price as a residential connection.
    Not many (nor I) have a choice of both EIR and SIRO FTTH.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

There is a FUP on all Eir packages including Eir business eFiber/FTTH.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Apparently there's no charge but if you do it twice in the year you could get your service terminated: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057697350
    That's an interesting thread. It really does sound like a 'soft cap' which would only apply to anyone who was really 'taking the piss'.

The problem is that I had Vodaphone a few years back and they were a nightmare to deal with over usage. Saying one thing, then imposing charges. I actually succeeded in a complaint against them and got a refund for charges for several months, only to be charged again the next month.

There really is nothing like the real thing.....no FUP at all, which I'd say Sky will bring when they get on board.

raydator wrote: »
    There is a FUP on all Eir packages including Eir business eFiber/FTTH.

Not on eir business eFibre there isn't. If there is, it isn't enforced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm sure I read somewhere before that Eir have the same FUP across all their products both residential and business.

It is a real shame that FTTH in Ireland is hampered by a relatively small 1tb FUP across all the main providers (Eir, Vodafone, Digiweb). It amazes me there isn't really any competition between these companies either.

Eir are never going to get rid of their FUP, they may eventually up it to 2tb by 2020 if we're lucky. You would think the first thing Vodafone and Digiweb would do is to increase or get rid of their FUP's to compete better with Eir.

As soon as a provider enters the market to offer truly unlimited FTTH, I will be ready to jump ship.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere before that Eir have the same FUP across all their products both residential and business.

It is a real shame that FTTH in Ireland is hampered by a relatively small 1tb FUP across all the main providers (Eir, Vodafone, Digiweb). It amazes me there isn't really any competition between these companies either.

Eir are never going to get rid of their FUP, they may eventually up it to 2tb by 2020 if we're lucky. You would think the first thing Vodafone and Digiweb would do is to increase or get rid of their FUP's to compete better with Eir.
    I'd say they will. It's still early days in the overall rollout for the country.

Advertisement