Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Whilst I've always been against caps, I understand them. But the FUP on the current packages are low. Then again, is anyone actually enforcing them? Since getting a 4k tv recently (4k netflix really does use a lot of data per hour) and installing a nas at home that is used for hundreds of gigs a week for backup purposes, my overall data usage has increased dramatically. So I am a little concerned for when I move from Eir fttc 100m/bit to Siro 1000 (hopefully soon).

You could use up your FUP in just over 3 hours at 1000m/bit :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Praetorian wrote: »
    Whilst I've always been against caps, I understand them. But the FUP on the current packages are low. Then again, is anyone actually enforcing them? Since getting a 4k tv recently (4k netflix really does use a lot of data per hour) and installing a nas at home that is used for hundreds of gigs a week for backup purposes, my overall data usage has increased dramatically. So I am a little concerned for when I move from Eir fttc 100m/bit to Siro 1000 (hopefully soon).

Eir absolutely enforce their FUP and are charging customers up to 100 euros for going over. Even if they go over very slightly, they charge per gigabyte, it doesn't take look for the charges to ramp up to the maximum charge of 100 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I didn't know that Gonzo. Will definitely have to watch out on the bills. Hopefully Siro will be available sooner rather than later and with a decent FUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Praetorian wrote: »

It is difficult to decide. Tie yourself in with Vodaphone for 18 months and worry about the FUB, or hang on until Sky or whoever use no FUP as a competitive tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere before that Eir have the same FUP across all their products both residential and business.

It is a real shame that FTTH in Ireland is hampered by a relatively small 1tb FUP across all the main providers (Eir, Vodafone, Digiweb). It amazes me there isn't really any competition between these companies either.

Eir are never going to get rid of their FUP, they may eventually up it to 2tb by 2020 if we're lucky. You would think the first thing Vodafone and Digiweb would do is to increase or get rid of their FUP's to compete better with Eir.

As soon as a provider enters the market to offer truly unlimited FTTH, I will be ready to jump ship.
    There is Gonzo regional broadband unlimited and so net1 and my sister got digiweb FTTH and they said they dont monitor the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    There is Gonzo regional broadband unlimited and so net1 and my sister got digiweb FTTH and they said they dont monitor the traffic.

Digiweb might be the best option. Unlimited FTTH is not available outside of County Mayo and Net 1 do not seem to be interested in selling to anyone and zero customer support.

I would have gone with Digiweb but the 200 euros install was a killer so went with Eir. The way Eir has been acting over the FUP is really petty so will be easy to jump ship once the contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Not on eir business eFibre there isn't. If there is, it isn't enforced.

There a whole thread here in relation to charging customers on the FTTH for exceeding the 1TB FUP.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057783247

It is absolutely enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

raydator wrote: »
    There a whole thread here in relation to charging customers on the FTTH for exceeding the 1TB FUP.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057783247

It is absolutely enforced.

Yes, I'm aware there is a FUP on the home-based packages and on FTTH packages, but I have first hand experience of going over an eir business FUP of 1 TB (if there is one) and not being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Yes, I'm aware there is a FUP on the home-based packages and on FTTH packages, but I have first hand experience of going over an eir business FUP of 1 TB (if there is one) and not being charged.

This is my package.

Business Advantage Boost 1000Mb
    €74.79 per month.
    24 Months
    contract length
    1000Mb
    download speed
    100Mb
    upload speed

I have been told several times by Eir that if I exceed the FUP, I will be charged.
    Maybe its because I only signed up in July that I am going to be billed. When did you sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

raydator wrote: »
    This is my package.

Business Advantage Boost 1000Mb
    €74.79 per month.
    24 Months
    contract length
    1000Mb
    download speed
    100Mb
    upload speed

I have been told several times by Eir that if I exceed the FUP, I will be charged.
    Maybe its because I only signed up in July that I am going to be billed. When did you sign up?

Not sure exactly, a few years ago anyway, so that could be it. But again, you're on a FTTH package aren't you? I'm talking about regular efibre, and there may be a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

i've gone over 1TB on eir normal fibre, no one said a word, no extra fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

sibergoth wrote: »
    i've gone over 1TB on eir normal fibre, no one said a word, no extra fees.
    The difference is that competitors of Eir for FTTC like Sky have a truly unlimited product. Eir customers have somewhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Very strange experience with Vodafone.

I saw them installing FTTH cables all around my estate in Bettystown including just outside my house, the SIRO website says it's available at my address and we even signed up for a FTTH contract with Vodafone but now they're saying that it isn't available yet? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I saw them installing FTTH cables all around my estate in Bettystown including just outside my house, the SIRO website says it's available at my address and we even signed up for a FTTH contract with Vodafone but now they're saying that it isn't available yet? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Talked to Digiweb ? They do offer SIRO in Drogheda. Vodafones database often is out of date.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Yeah. It took 2-3 weeks from the initial point of the SIRO site saying it was available until I got it installed. I'd say you'll just have to wait up to 3 weeks before it's actually available - hopefully sooner. Just keep calling every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Yeah. It took 2-3 weeks from the initial point of the SIRO site saying it was available until I got it installed. I'd say you'll just have to wait up to 3 weeks before it's actually available - hopefully sooner. Just keep calling every week.

Seems to be very bad miscommunication on their part, they have salesmen going door to door offering it and it's not even available yet. Hopefully it's just a matter of a few weeks until it's activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Seems to be very bad miscommunication on their part, they have salesmen going door to door offering it and it's not even available yet. Hopefully it's just a matter of a few weeks until it's activated.
    Must be. Those guys don't know what they're talking about to boot, so I'd deal with an ISP directly if I were you. Just to point out, my ISP is Vodafone - so it could well be that they're slow in getting their ducks in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

the lads are at the end of my street today firing cable down holes, looks like they use compressed air to push through ?

can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Work has now really started here in Naas. Crews from Averto are all over the place digging and laying fibre for SIRO. Hopefully it will be available before year end. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Virgin media are busy laying fibre in dundalk, they are targeting all the estates and houses that siro skipped, probably due to lack of ducting going from the street to esb meters in those houses. As yet they haven't cabled any estates that already have siro.

By the look of it 100% of dundalk will have ftth, from either siro or virgin. Will be interesting to see if virgin use siro wholesale offering and provide services to all of dundalk, or just their own cabled estates.

Virgin are using converters to convert the fibre back to coax inside the house, so their standard hfc modem works on the fibre service. Seems like a sensible move to use siro wholesale so they can offer service to the entire town.

• Advertisement

Mgit wrote: »
    Virgin are using converters to convert the fibre back to coax inside the house, so their standard hfc modem works on the fibre service. Seems like a sensible move to use siro wholesale so they can offer service to the entire town.

So Virgin could easily offer services over OpenEir's rural FTTH network as well, would be great if that happened. Some real competition and unlimited with no FUP.

Gonzo wrote: »
    So Virgin could easily offer services over OpenEir's rural FTTH network as well, would be great if that happened. Some real competition and unlimited with no FUP.

Complicated. With OpenEIRs rural FTTH, the provider will be charged for traffic charges, if the customer is outside of the exchange boundaries of where the provider is taking the traffic from OpenEIR.

That means, it's not only the traffic towards the internet, that needs to be paid, but also the traffic from the customer to the handover point.

I don't see that one happening any time soon with Virgin. It would be a LOT of infrastructure they'd have to put into place and no financial return for them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Virgin wont use anyone else. Thats not LG's modus operandi. Profit margins drop too low.
    Virgin are using converters to convert the fibre back to coax inside the house, so their standard hfc modem works on the fibre service.

Are they replicating the full TV pipe on the CoAx or full IPTV? If the former it'll mean taking a huge chunk of the PON to move (900Mb maybe) so I'd assume the latter.

ED E wrote: »
    Virgin wont use anyone else. Thats not LG's modus operandi. Profit margins drop too low.

Yep. And they don't like to share their network with others either.

Profit margins is also a reason, why only a limited amount of FWA providers have bothered adopting selling on FTTC/FTTH platforms. Not a lot margin for bad credit/errors before it becomes unprofitable.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Obecny

Anyone here can help me to setup Vlan Tag in dd wrt ?
    have the DD-WRT v3.0-r33575M and can't find anywhere to tag vlan10
    thanks

Obecny wrote: »
    Anyone here can help me to setup Vlan Tag in dd wrt ?
    have the DD-WRT v3.0-r33575M and can't find anywhere to tag vlan10
    thanks

Depends on your router:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Anyone know what’s going on with the rollout in mullingar. Seem to be in some sort of fiber black hole. Where every single state around me has it except mine. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

finally after 3 months of trying to order i had my install this morning, over all happy with the install, they ran the cable where i wanted it

6772484089.png

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

dazdrog wrote: »
    finally after 3 months of trying to order i had my install this morning, over all happy with the install, they ran the cable where i wanted it

6772484089.png
    Can I ask how flexible they were in terms of running the cable?

Just wondering if there's been a relaxation recently in how and where they can install.

• Advertisement
Advertisement