Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

kmurph wrote: »
    Can I ask how flexible they were in terms of running the cable?

Just wondering if there's been a relaxation recently in how and where they can install.

scrap that, just looked at full setup, cables are well hidden, theres a point outside where on the wall they mounted a gray box, on other side of wall is the ont and a white box

the gray box on the outside is connected from outside to inside using a small thin yellow fiber wire, then from the whitebox inside they run another thin yellow cable to the ont

where this gray box goes outside you will have the white box and ont on the others side of the wall inside

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

to any one with vodafone gigabits ,how easy is it to switch to a high-er up plan ?like change from the 150 to the 300? would it require to take a new contract?

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

For those already on Siro 1Gbit plan, how close are you getting to the 1gig? The best download speed I have gotten is around 820mbits. I consistently get around 200mbits upload. With overhead etc is this all I can expect or should I be getting over 900mbits at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

LFCFan wrote: »
    For those already on Siro 1Gbit plan, how close are you getting to the 1gig? The best download speed I have gotten is around 820mbits. I consistently get around 200mbits upload. With overhead etc is this all I can expect or should I be getting over 900mbits at least?
    When you're dealing with 1Gb speeds, you have a few factors to consider.

1. How reliable are the speed tests you're running - do the servers have the capacity to report more than 820Mbps? It may be worth doing a HTTP download from a fast server (like downloading a Linux distro, such as Ubuntu) and multiplying the most consistent speed by 8 to convert from MB (Bytes) to Mb (bits).

2. How good your Ethernet controller/NIC is on your computer. Can it achieve more than 820Mbps? Just because it's a Gb link doesn't mean it can achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With a good NIC you'd peak around the 960Mb mark. Thats assuming no other choke points as above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

KOR101 wrote: »

Athlone will have about 550 homes passed end off month ..
    LFCFan wrote: »

970 Mbit/s using a different kind of bandwidth test. Laptop craps out at 890 Mbit/s because of what my laptop can handle.

6716664871.png

Also, be aware that a lot of speedtest servers only may have a 1 Gbit/s interface. If somebody else is running a speedtest at the same time, you may get less.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

How many of those towns is it actually live or in process of being wired??

TheDriver wrote: »
    How many of those towns is it actually live or in process of being wired??

Every single town marked as live on the SIRO map IS live. However, they're still continuing the roll-out even in these places that are live, while they're building network in the places upcoming.

Another thing to know, is that while every one of these towns/cities is covered by Vodafone, not every town/city is covered by additional providers on the SIRO platform. So some places may only offer Vodafone, some may offer multiple options.

The map is accurate.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Every single town marked as live on the SIRO map IS live. However, they're still continuing the roll-out even in these places that are live, while they're building network in the places upcoming.

Another thing to know, is that while every one of these towns/cities is covered by Vodafone, not every town/city is covered by additional providers on the SIRO platform. So some places may only offer Vodafone, some may offer multiple options.

The map is accurate.

/M
    Your upload is simply delicious. :pac:

Can't wait for the day when it becomes symmetrical or closer to it like other countries' FTTH recent rollouts (namely in Spain and New Zealand that I'm aware of).

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Your upload is simply delicious. :pac:

Can't wait for the day when it becomes symmetrical or closer to it like other countries' FTTH recent rollouts (namely in Spain and New Zealand that I'm aware of).

GPON is assymetric defined. Typically 2.5 Gbit/s download, 1.25 Gbit/s upload at the DP. That's then contended across the customers within that DP. Meaning, that with the technology that's being used here, we're unlikely to see very high upload speeds.

Well ... I reckon 200 Mbit/s upload for a residential product is pretty d*** decent. OpenEIR will only give us 100 Mbit/s upload and they're using the same platform as SIRO.

/M

• Advertisement

GPON is assymetric defined. Typically 2.5 Gbit/s download, 1.25 Gbit/s upload at the DP. Meaning, that with the technology that's being used here, we're unlikely to see very high upload speeds.

Well ... I reckon 200 Mbit/s upload for a residential product is pretty d*** decent.

/M
    Hell, I'm happy with my 70Mbps upload but that doesn't mean we can't be greedy. :D

I was always hoping SIRO would come to my area first - we're on the rollout plan for both here - which is why when I moved this year to an area that Virgin Media has spotty coverage depending on the house (wayleave issues, I'm sure), I had to decide to go with Vodafone or Eir due to the contract length. I bet on Vodafone and I'm glad I did.

A friend of mine in Spain had a 300/300 connection with Movistar (I believe) until he had to move to an area recently that hasn't been put live. He lives in Gran Canaria. So I wonder what they're using...? Also, what about Google Fiber with their 1000/1000 offering?

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Hell, I'm happy with my 70Mbps upload but that doesn't mean we can't be greedy. :D

A friend of mine in Spain had a 300/300 connection with Movistar (I believe) until he had to move to an area recently that hasn't been put live. He lives in Gran Canaria. So I wonder what they're using...? Also, what about Google Fiber with their 1000/1000 offering?

Might be different technology. Haven't been looking into it. But Google is supposedly pulling out of the residential fiber business, so not sure, how long lived that is.

Of course, higher speeds can be archived. The issue is always cost of equipment vs. scalability vs. profit margin. There will be some new options in a few towns on the SIRO platform before xmas .. at least price wise :)

Also 300/300 could be done here, no problem. Just a contention/scalability calculation. To a provider, symmetric makes no difference. Provider buy their upstream and their core network full duplex. And the more 50/50 traffic they have, the easier it is to negotiate peering agreements.

It just seems that providers, that traditionally have come from an assymetric infrastructure (ADSL/CATTV) or half-duplex infrastructure (some FWA) can't get rid of the thought of providing assymetric :) While they forget the advantage of 50/50 traffic on the other end.

/M

NikoTopps wrote: »
    to any one with vodafone gigabits ,how easy is it to switch to a high-er up plan ?like change from the 150 to the 300? would it require to take a new contract?

Sily of me to ask here instead of ask the company himself! they say move to higher package is no problems but move to lower is fees.

just placed order for 300Mb with Vodafone, engineer is come on Monday.Super fast!

Cant wait :pac:

Sily of me to ask here instead of ask the company himself! they say move to higher package is no problems but move to lower is fees.

just placed order for 300Mb with Vodafone, engineer is come on Monday.Super fast!

Cant wait :pac:

The fee for a package change is, because SIRO actually charges the provider for a change of package. Some providers will eat that fee, if you upgrade.

/M

The fee for a package change is, because SIRO actually charges the provider for a change of package. Some providers will eat that fee, if you upgrade.

/M

That is great to know,i think that 300Mbs will plennty for now at least :pac::pac: Currently have vodafone fttc and get 90/17.But it start to feel so slow u know? Crazy how the time changes with Internets speeds...

That is great to know,i think that 300Mbs will plennty for now at least :pac::pac: Currently have vodafone fttc and get 90/17.But it start to feel so slow u know? Crazy how the time changes with Internets speeds...

Overall usage has gone 10-15 fold in the last 2 years. Consumers don't realize this, but it's caused by Smartphones, massive updates (Windows, Mac) and the size of Console games, which now have to be downloaded instead of being bought in the shop, are gigantic.

Nevermind Netflix, YouTube, Vimeo and all the other craic. In Ireland, I'd think 50% of all traffic goes to Google ... makes you think !! Good thing, I'm not believing in conspiracies.

/M

i placed the siro order when i was in work and when i come home i see that the internet has be turned off completely ,it keeps go to a page which say all netoworks are down with 2 blinking red lights on modem.Of course the vodafone support is closed now but is it normal they cancel the old internet before the new one connects? thought they would just let it continue to when the new internet activeates. sorry for all the questions here,i do not mean to spam but iam not sure this need its own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you keep an existing landline number? If so that likely did it.

ED E wrote: »
    Did you keep an existing landline number? If so that likely did it.

i did! thank you ED

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭damienf1

Hey can anyone tell me how this is installed are there holes or boxes required outside?

• Advertisement

damienf1 wrote: »
    Hey can anyone tell me how this is installed are there holes or boxes required outside?

Cabling is brought to the house either through the ESB ducting into the meter box, overhead along the power line to the house or in some places its run along the front of the buildings, so a fiber is pulled back and then brought into the building instead.

From that point it's wired into the house. Depending on the provider and/or the installer, it's wired to a point of your choice or the nearest double socket, where the ONT then is installed, which converts the fiber into a normal cat5 ethernet connection. That's where you connect your router and your own wiring continues.

/M

Cabling is brought to the house either through the ESB ducting into the meter box, overhead along the power line to the house or in some places its run along the front of the buildings, so a fiber is pulled back and then brought into the building instead.

From that point it's wired into the house. Depending on the provider and/or the installer, it's wired to a point of your choice or the nearest double socket, where the ONT then is installed, which converts the fiber into a normal cat5 ethernet connection. That's where you connect your router and your own wiring continues.

/M

So it has to be wired to the meter box can this be all done within meter box or do they need install another box I'm not a fan of wires outside the house on the wall

So it has to be wired to the meter box can this be all done within meter box or do they need install another box I'm not a fan of wires outside the house on the wall

From the meter box (if it comes in that route), they always have to come out of it again and enter the building elsewhere. It's just because they can share the ducting. No equipment is installed on the outside or in the meter box.

The fiber comes from their distribution point straight into the home and to the ONT, which needs to be powered.

/M

From the meter box (if it comes in that route), they always have to come out of it again and enter the building elsewhere. It's just because they can share the ducting. No equipment is installed on the outside or in the meter box.

The fiber comes from their distribution point straight into the home and to the ONT, which needs to be powered

/M

Thanks. So taken from the meter box to nearist plug can the cable be hidden as I take it there will be cable running outside if meter box?

Thanks. So taken from the meter box to nearist plug can the cable be hidden as I take it there will be cable running outside if meter box?

Generally, I think they're cutting a track to put it in, but I haven't seen any of those installs, so not sure .. maybe somebody else can elaborate. The install I've seen, the cable was ran along the surface of the building anyhow already.

/M

Generally, I think they're cutting a track to put it in, but I haven't seen any of those installs, so not sure .. maybe somebody else can elaborate. The install I've seen, the cable was ran along the surface of the building anyhow already.

/M

Thanks yeah I think it's in the surface of the wall i wonder if possible to track the wall put cable into the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

These from SIRO install in Westport back in August - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104350099&postcount=3885

424976.jpg

424977.jpg
    the fibre comes into the meter cabinet and has to exit immediately, per ESB Networks requirements. You can see that in the picture I posted, where the fibre exits the meter cabinet and travels to the external coupler, from where it heads indoors to the indoor coupler on the inside wall.

I'd need to check, but I think if there was suitable ducting from the meter cabinet to an internal comms cabinet, that it would be OK to use that instead.

Other external install pics

20170919_115008.jpg

383259.jpg

Sligo main street.

38317832001_a72c6b3495_c.jpg

Grey box left of the window 1st floor is the SIRO fiber DP.

38317830651_e5cd789bf0_c.jpg

Next box over the shop front. Fiber gets cut there and pulled back.

38317829221_044623d19c_c.jpg
    24447379088_cdff392191_c.jpg

Fiber was then fed into a pipe and brought into the premises. Didn't take pictures of that .. (god knows why) ....

Install took about 3 hours.

/M

The Cush wrote: »
    These from SIRO install in Westport back in August - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104350099&postcount=3885

424976.jpg

424977.jpg

Other external install pics

20170919_115008.jpg

383259.jpg

Pic 3 looks untidy but the others looks alot better installed

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    pics go leor

great pictures,very helpful

do you know if you must have double socket for SIRO or is ok for use extension lead or those cube plug with many plugs on it all around it ?

Maybe i asked a stupid question but where router is now have only one plug

Advertisement