Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

NikoTopps wrote: »
    great pictures,very helpful

do you know if you must have double socket for SIRO or is ok for use extension lead or those cube plug with many plugs on it all around it ?

Maybe i asked a stupid question but where router is now have only one plug

The installers are generally flexible enough. The rule (in the case of the strict ones) is just to the nearest double socket.

Now, if you only have one socket and that's nearer than the nearest double socket ... I hardly believe they'll complain.

The reason, it's specified as a double socket is, that you need power for the ONT and for the router.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Marlow wrote: »
    The installers are generally flexible enough. The rule (in the case of the strict ones) is just to the nearest double socket.

Now, if you only have one socket and that's nearer than the nearest double socket ... I hardly believe they'll complain.

The reason, it's specified as a double socket is, that you need power for the ONT and for the router.

/M

Ah ok.I would like it go where current router is,and i think this is easier for they too because that is same wall ESB box is on outside and where the eircom connection for landline is any way.No double socket are anywhere near it[all in other rooms] so currently there is extension lead plugged into the single socket and to him are router/landline/samknows box.

its not so much a big deal any way.I was just wondering.Thank you for your insight !!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

damienf1 wrote: »
    Pic 3 looks untidy but the others looks alot better installed

The untidy wire in picture 3 is a pre-existing satellite cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

/M

All, here's a pic of my meter box, i had walls pumped a couple of years back, the house is about 17 years old and i don't see any ducting coming up through the cavity where the main electricity supply cable is coming through........KN are coming into the estate soon to deploy Siro fibre, should i be worried or can they overcome that issue?

any advise welcome, really hoping i can get this to work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

Hi

What happens in apartment blocks where there is a telecomms room but no meter boxes on walls.

Are cables fed to the telecomms room and then fed from there? I presume they won't be able to push the cabling through the existing ducts from the telecomms rooms as it takes right angle turns.

If renting not many owners would want external cables.

• Advertisement

ctlsleh wrote: »
    All, here's a pic of my meter box, i had walls pumped a couple of years back, the house is about 17 years old and i don't see any ducting coming up through the cavity where the main electricity supply cable is coming through........KN are coming into the estate soon to deploy Siro fibre, should i be worried or can they overcome that issue?

any advise welcome, really hoping i can get this to work!!!

You may not have ducting. A lot of houses have direct-buried mains cable rather than a neat ducted solution, and direct-buried is SIRO's worst-case scenario.

It's also possible that there's a duct in place but that it stops short of the meter box. I guess you won't really know until the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Does anyone on here in Bray have Siro/Vodafone yet? I switched to VF around a month ago and the guy told me they were doing work in parts of Bray already. Website shows it as a future town, so not sure if I got spoofed!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You may not have ducting. A lot of houses have direct-buried mains cable rather than a neat ducted solution, and direct-buried is SIRO's worst-case scenario.

It's also possible that there's a duct in place but that it stops short of the meter box. I guess you won't really know until the time comes.

i definitely have some ducting coming to some point, as i know theres ducting coming from the silver cabinet to 3-4 houses just not sure how far it comes, but i assume it comes as far as the foundation of the house. If i have to cut our the wall i will do it, just hope i don't have to go quite that far.....!

i was wondering of others had the same problem and the KN guys would still at least make an effort to push through their ducting or whether they look at it and say no way! which would be my worst nightmare......

g0g wrote: »
    Does anyone on here in Bray have Siro/Vodafone yet? I switched to VF around a month ago and the guy told me they were doing work in parts of Bray already. Website shows it as a future town, so not sure if I got spoofed!

Bray is on the "Planned" list if you check here: http://siro.ie/roll-out/ ... meaning it's not around the corner ... probably at least 3-6 months minimum.

/M

ctlsleh wrote: »
    i was wondering of others had the same problem and the KN guys would still at least make an effort to push through their ducting or whether they look at it and say no way! which would be my worst nightmare......

With SIRO and where they need ducting, they use a thin tube .. like a microduct. The issue is, it's extremely fiddly to get the single fiber into that tube. That's the reason an install can take 4+ hours and it's not their preferred way of doing things. If they have to go down that route, they will try to push that through, but around Sligo they've ran into lots of issues, where civils were needed.

Also ... SIRO do not use KN. Lots of other contractors like Activo, but not KN. OpenEIR use KN.

/M

• Advertisement

Also ... SIRO do not use KN. Lots of other contractors like Activo, but not KN. OpenEIR use KN.

Not for installations, no, but SIRO definitely used KN as a build contractor for the metro network in Castlebar and Westport. Actavo are doing the SIRO installs around here.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Not for installations, no, but SIRO definitely used KN as a build contractor for the metro network in Castlebar and Westport. Actavo are doing the SIRO installs around here.

Actavo is also, what they use in for exampe Sligo and Dundalk.

The build here in Athlone is actually being done by Huawei directly. I've seen no KN vans around for this. Only the Huawei vans. Then again, the ducting could have gone down without people noticing the KN vans too much .... those lads are everywhere.

Having said that, the KN guys that do the build and fiber runs for enterprise and carriers are a complete different cattle of fish from the ones installing residential connections. Can't be compared.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

damienf1 wrote: »
    Pic 3 looks untidy but the others looks alot better installed
    Pic 3 is mine that I shared back in September.

It looks untidy because the cable coming down the drainpipe is a satellite or some crap like that from years ago before I'd moved in. If you focus on the SIRO cable coming from the electricity box then you can see that it's no more untidy than the others.

how soon before the appointment do they send the confirmation text?due be installed today between 1300to1800 and no sign of any one yet

how soon before the appointment do they send the confirmation text?due be installed today between 1300to1800 and no sign of any one yet
    I got two. One at 7:55am to say who the tech was and that he'd be coming and then one 10 minutes before arrival at 8:50am. My appointment was set for the morning (up to lunchtime) so they were very punctual.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I got two. One at 7:55am to say who the tech was and that he'd be coming and then one 10 minutes before arrival at 8:50am. My appointment was set for the morning (up to lunchtime) so they were very punctual.

Ah ok,thanks. Not cause to worry just yet then!!I"m just so bored at home waiting :pac:

Ah ok,thanks. Not cause to worry just yet then!!I"m just so bored at home waiting :pac:
    Sure. I'd asked for the earliest possible as I was taking off work until lunch. So I was the first install of the day for them. If they're running late from a previous appointment then that could explain any possible delays.

Usually they send the text about an hour or two ahead. It has name of the installer and phone number in'it.

/M

Vodafone live chat have told me they are have problems with SIRO orders right now,and my install won't be today because order is still processing even though i was told it would be. not off to a great start with them !

Vodafone live chat have told me they are have problems with SIRO orders right now,and my install won't be today because order is still processing even though i was told it would be. not off to a great start with them !

They're generally spot on, so that has to be a genuine problem.

/M

• Advertisement

I'd be on the phone to them after reading that.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I'd be on the phone to them after reading that.
    They're generally spot on, so that has to be a genuine problem.

/M

Iam really hope that it is not case of the website being wrong and it actually is not available in my address or somethings

any way they said it because the order still is processing and they are having problems with orders and they contact me soon to make another appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JonnyIrl

Iam really hope that it is not case of the website being wrong and it actually is not available in my address or somethings

any way they said it because the order still is processing and they are having problems with orders and they contact me soon to make another appointment

Ordered from Vodafone today, got a slot for tomorrow and literally just received a call from a woman from SIRO telling me I will get a call 30mins before the installer arrives. Not sure what happened your order but that sucks man :(

JonnyIrl wrote: »
    Ordered from Vodafone today, got a slot for tomorrow and literally just received a call from a woman from SIRO telling me I will get a call 30mins before the installer arrives. Not sure what happened your order but that sucks man :(

Iam just so lucky !! :rolleyes: can you let us know how it go for you tomorrow ? Heres to hope it all go well

Iam just so lucky !! :rolleyes: can you let us know how it go for you tomorrow ? Heres to hope it all go well

Will do! Should have some pics and speed tests up around 6pm tomorrow if all goes well :)

Vodafone have said the problem with my order have been resolved,in 48to72hrs the order will be confirm then a appointment will be made : (

in meantime my phone some how manage to use 10gbs last night,drain all my credit and now i am using 1gbs 5€ add on :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well guess who didn't arrive today :(

I got a text from SIRO this morning telling me my installer would be here between 2.30-4.30pm along with his name and number. Rang the number 3 times and just rang out each time. Contacted Vodafone and was told they can't do anything for 24hrs until the engineer gives an explanation. I asked what happens moving forward and was told that NOTHING CAN happen for 24hrs, brilliant.

Phone literally just rang and it was the installer apologizing that he couldn't make it today that another job took longer than expected which I'm absolutely fine with. The thing that annoyed me was I asked will it be done tomorrow to which he replied with he doesn't know. That he will have new jobs tomorrow and basically mine wont be one of them so it will have to be rescheduled.

If this is the case it seems a bit ridiculous that their workload doesn't flow over into the next day and they inform the customers of the delay.. but hey that would make sense

That's not on. He should have gotten onto you as soon as he knew he was going to be delayed. People take off work for these installs and it just isn't fair and even though it isn't Vodafone's fault directly, they're the ones the customer will blame (nobody gives a flying feck if it's Actavo or whoever) as they're the ones the bills are being paid to, so Vodafone have to put the pressure on SIRO and the installers to not to dick people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

It's a scheduling issue rather than an engineer issue.
    An engineer told a friend of mine an install can take 1 to 2 hrs depending on the customers requirements.
    He had 14 jobs scheduled that day, 7 am appointments & 7 pm appointments, impossible!

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

furiousox wrote: »
    It's a scheduling issue rather than an engineer issue.

I completely agree with that 100% it's just the way he made it out is that tomorrow all the jobs he didn't get around to today will get pushed back until another slot opens is kinda crap. It should follow some queue process logically.

Regardless, tomorrow I'm going to ring Vodafone and get them to put pressure on Siro/Actavo or whoever it is to get my install done.

Advertisement