Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

JonnyIrl wrote: »
    I completely agree with that 100% it's just the way he made it out is that tomorrow all the jobs he didn't get around to today will get pushed back until another slot opens is kinda crap. It should follow some queue process logically.

Regardless, tomorrow I'm going to ring Vodafone and get them to put pressure on Siro/Actavo or whoever it is to get my install done.

that is ridiculous all together,i hope they sort you out tomorrow.I think i ring them myself tomorrow too to ask.because it should nt take this long to confirm a order!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Just had a quick chat with the guys laying the fiber in westside of Athlone, they were saying after all tests have to be carried out by them and by the time vodafone take over the network it will be February before installs will be happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

billbond4 wrote: »
    Just had a quick chat with the guys laying the fiber in westside of Athlone, they were saying after all tests have to be carried out by them and by the time vodafone take over the network it will be February before installs will be happening.

Bit of a misconception there.

You mean SIRO taking over the network.

Vodafone (while they do own part of SIRO) are a wholesales partner on the network.

And the first 550 homes will actually be passed and ready for connection end of this month. The issue being, that the providers on the network won't be quite ready by that time with their interconnects.

The 2 providers, that will be available on SIRO in Athlone will be pre-selling from the start of December though.

/M

hmm I always though it was Siro that owned the network and leased it out.
    Where are the first 500 homes in Athlone to be ready? Its it out on the westside? near the new Siro switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

hmm I always though it was Siro that owned the network and leased it out.
    Where are the first 500 homes in Athlone to be ready? Its it out on the westside? near the new Siro switch

Siro is an open access network. Meaning wholesellers like Vodafone, Digiweb, Westnet and others connect to the towns, they want to service and then get Siro to provide the last mile. Each town can have different providers.

As Vodafone has shares in Siro, they obviously have a vested interest and connect to every town. But beyond that it's equal access.

Which houses have been passed is only known end of the month.

/M

• Advertisement

2 actavo van on my estate today at a neighbour house,still no word from vodafone with my install yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ED E wrote: »

hopefully only a matter time before Sky do a partnership with OpenEir for FTTH also. I wasn't expecting Sky to move this soon on FTTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

ED E wrote: »
    Brilliant news as I'm with Sky currently. Now let's wait for their FUP, as with FTTC they are truly (I mean truly!) unlimited.

Yip its very good news for consumers, and its good planning for sky as they will be selling skyq with satellite feeds soon, so it will tie in nicely for them.
    But however gave the two in picture should be shot, should be fiber not copper wires !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭satguy

Never thought I would say this "but maybe it's time to move back to Sky"

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully only a matter time before Sky do a partnership with OpenEir for FTTH also. I wasn't expecting Sky to move this soon on FTTH.
    Hopefully not, eir will screw anything they put their hands on it

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭peking97

...... should be fiber not copper wires !

If you look closely you'll find it is fibre, not copper.

Yip your right, time to goto specsavers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

VoiP issue

I have just got up-and-running with Siro. BB is fine but I have been left with just one phone line through the Phone1 socket. I have lost the three phone points around the house which I really need.
    Q1. Can I somehow bring the three points back into service?
    Q2. Can I connect a walk-around phone system into the Phone2 socket and will it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Disconnect the incoming phone line, connect PH1 to it, sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭furiousox

If your phone points are copper wire extensions from the old main incoming phone point, then no, they will no longer work.
    That line is now obsolete and your phone is now fed from "phone 1" on the rear of the new modem.
    You may need to get a 3 phone set, argos have them (1 main phone fed from the modem plus 2 satellite phones)
    Vodafone will also supply them to you free of charge if you call them and tell them your current phone isn't compatible with the new modem.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

furiousox wrote: »
    If your phone points are copper wire extensions from the old main incoming phone point, then no, they will no longer work.
    That line is now obsolete and your phone is now fed from "phone 1" on the rear of the new modem.
    You may need to get a 3 phone set, argos have them (1 main phone fed from the modem plus 2 satellite phones)
    Vodafone will also supply them to you free of charge if you call them and tell them your current phone isn't compatible with the new modem.

This is not strictly true. If he/she plugs an RJ11 cable from the Phone 1 port on the router to any of the existing phone points the remaining phone points in the house are then live and can be used as normal. The old copper pair feeding the house should also be disconnected at the master socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JonnyIrl

Actavo guys arrived today and I'm thinking YES!! Today is the day! (sad how much I'm excited for this) about 2 minutes around the side of the house it's bad news :(

The duct at the side of the house for my wire to go through is broken or something, so they can't get the wire through. It also doesn't go from outside my house to the main supply or something as well.

I was told they need to drill 2 shoe box size holes. One at the side of my house and one just at the driveway entrance to fix the blockage on both, which usually takes 5 working days. Then I have to wait for another appointment to be rescheduled for to be actually installed :(

Did anybody else have to have these holes cut? Is there any pics of what to expect, it's just when I try explain this to my landlord I don't sound like I'm cutting up the outside of his house..

Thanks folks for all your helpful suggestions. Things are moving along after a long chat on 1907. I need to source a a 4-phone set which must be compatible with Siro. Any recommendation?

• Advertisement

GreyEagle wrote: »
    Thanks folks for all your helpful suggestions. Things are moving along after a long chat on 1907. I need to source a a 4-phone set which must be compatible with Siro. Any recommendation?

Any cordless phone system designed for the Irish market should be suitable. What did support tell you? You may be putting yourself to unnecessary expense if you already have phones at your current points.

A wk after it was due to be install Vodafone say this «rare» SIRO issue have still not be fixed yet.More waiting!

Any cordless phone system designed for the Irish market should be suitable. What did support tell you? You may be putting yourself to unnecessary expense if you already have phones at your current points.

I have one old style phone connected to the modem and an ancient cordless system which is definitely not compatible. I made a case based on age and mobility and Vodafone generously offered to pay for a new cordless system. Apparently they used to send out a cordless system FOC in certain cases (see above) but this no longer happens. So far, I have found them to be very reasonable to deal with.

GreyEagle wrote: »
    I have one old style phone connected to the modem and an ancient cordless system which is definitely not compatible. I made a case based on age and mobility and Vodafone generously offered to pay for a new cordless system. Apparently they used to send out a cordless system FOC in certain cases (see above) but this no longer happens. So far, I have found them to be very reasonable to deal with.

Fair enough if you are getting them for free but there is nothing special about the phone port on the router. It essentially functions the same as all the other phone sockets in your home and any phone that is compatible with one should be compatible with the other.

As for which brand I use a Panasonic Dect set that I got on Amazon and have no issues with them.

Letter in the door now from Virgin Media that they will be in the estate bringing 'Fibre Power' (whatever that means) to my home. They were here 9 months ago drawing ropes through ducts (including to my outside TV box) and then disappeared completely. There was also some major Eir works going on recently on Drogheda street across from the estate but I have no idea what they were up to.

SIRO have largely finished where I am, so I expect a Balbriggan is 'live' announcement in the not too distant future. Nice to have the competition. Would people say SIRO is better than VM?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

KOR101 wrote: »
    SIRO have largely finished where I am, so I expect a Balbriggan is 'live' announcement in the not too distant future. Nice to have the competition. Would people say SIRO is better than VM?

I don't have either service available to me and what is better depends on what you want.

If you want the fastest downloads and uploads possible, then Siro are better.

If you want cheaper price then Virgin are better.

If you want a completely unlimited service with no caps or fair usage policys then Virgin are also better. Most service providers on the Siro network have a 1tb per month data usage cap/policy, similar to Eir.

Gonzo wrote: »
    If you want a completely unlimited service with no caps or fair usage policys then Virgin are also better. Most service providers on the Siro network have a 1tb per month data usage cap/policy, similar to Eir.
    NOT similar to Eir.

15. The fair usage cap for data usage on the Gigabit Broadband Service is 1000 GB over the course of any given billable month. If you exceed the fair usage cap for data on more than two (2) occasions in any calendar year then Vodafone may terminate or suspend your Gigabit Broadband Service. Vodafone will proactively contact you in advance of any suspension or termination.

And, I don't think I've read of a single report of this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

KOR101 wrote: »
    NOT similar to Eir.

15. The fair usage cap for data usage on the Gigabit Broadband Service is 1000 GB over the course of any given billable month. If you exceed the fair usage cap for data on more than two (2) occasions in any calendar year then Vodafone may terminate or suspend your Gigabit Broadband Service. Vodafone will proactively contact you in advance of any suspension or termination.

And, I don't think I've read of a single report of this yet.

Explain how 1tb isn't the same as 1000GB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

turbbo wrote: »
    Explain how 1tb isn't the same as 1000GB?

Nothing to do with the bandwidth. If you go over 1 TB with eir they charge you for it. Vodafone/SIRO just warn you not to do it again or you may be cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Nothing to do with the bandwidth. If you go over 1 TB with eir they charge you for it. Vodafone/SIRO just warn you not to do it again or you may be cut off.

Ok that wasn't clear from Kors post.

Advertisement